Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump Cost

nsp24

Hi, I just had a service at my local Toyota Garage and they told me my water pump was weeping and needed replacing. Total fitting price was £387.68.

I had the work done along with the pollen filter and a air con service.

Was this a fair price for the pump or would I have been better going to another garage for this work.

Please let me know what you think.

Nick

Nick,

my 2008 xtr petrol auto recently went in for it's 4 year service and MOT at a large Toyota dealership, has only done 20600miles total .

The service people called me during the day to say "the water pump needs replacing".

On asking the cost I was quoted £570 .

As there had been no sign of the problem to my knowledge(no water loss or overheating) I said I will come to have a look.

On visiting the garage they pointed out a thin line of coolant being thrown from the pump pulley, several staff gathered around to enforce the point.

As I am no longer able to carry out repairs myself, I agreed to the replacement.

They did reduce the quoted price to £460, not sure why, makes me think they pluck a figure out of the air.

Bottom line is it cost me £742 for the service, MOT and the new pump.

So Nick I don't think what you paid was too bad.

Chris.

Easy to be wise after the event but I would have phoned a couple of independents before giving the green light.

Not sure how the diesel compares to my petrol but back in 2008 the pump was £91 with a £112 fitting charge , £47 for the belt and £27 for the coolant which I presume is made of gold. (all +vat of course)

The diesel and the petrol cannot be compared. They tend to base their labour rates on predetermined times. I suppose you got genuine parts and a 12 month guarantee so probably not too bad.

Thanks for all the replys

The pump was £97.07 coolant £32.79 and fitting was £212.69 there was vat on top this is for the diesel.

They dont invoice the service because I am on the service plan and they said I had 30% discount!

I know one thing these ravs are not cheap to run, I probably paid more than you Chris as my bill was £480 and I had already paid for the service with thier plan and there was no MOT either!

It would be interesting to see what an independent would charge.

I had the water pump replaced last year as I had noticed a drop in coolant. I originally thought it may be the big 2AD problem but everything was checked and the water pump identified. My first thought was "great, that's gonna cost." To my suprise, they said it was also covered under an extended warranty like the main 2ad issue so they did it gratis! My car is a 56 plate 4.3 d4d xt5. It may be worth looking into to see if your dealer missed this...

I It may be worth looking into to see if your dealer missed this...

Thanks for that I might give them a ring next week!

I had the water pump replaced last year as I had noticed a drop in coolant. I originally thought it may be the big 2AD problem but everything was checked and the water pump identified. My first thought was "great, that's gonna cost." To my suprise, they said it was also covered under an extended warranty like the main 2ad issue so they did it gratis! My car is a 56 plate 4.3 d4d xt5. It may be worth looking into to see if your dealer missed this...

I agree with Nick. My 2008 T!80 was in for its 40k service last week. Dealer phoned me to say that the water pump was leaking. Before my jaw had time to drop he went on to say that they had contacted Mr.T who had authorised repair - so again they did it gratis. Brilliant dealer service but would say you defo need to contact your dealer and ask them to see about warranty replacement. Good Luck!

• 8 months later...

How a few months can make a difference. I've just been quoted by Mr. T £1200+ to replace the "leaking" water pump on my 2006 D4D 2.2. Told it was a 10 hour job over two days (Wish I could work a 5 hr day). OK it's done 90,000 miles, but after picking my jaw off the ground. Mr. T explained that that diesel has to have the timing gear removed, that's why the job takes longer than the petrol version.

I've just been round to my local independent with a quote of less than half! Goes in Monday.

Its a pack of lies. The timing gears only come off on the older 2.0 diesel. The 2.2 has a timing chain which is effectively inside the engine. Its a squeeze but the pump can be done working down the front of the engine.

Funny that! My independent told me something very similar.

Mr T did the water pump on my old 2.2 xt5 under the extended 2AD engine warranty. Is yours out if this?

Mr T did the water pump on my old 2.2 xt5 under the extended 2AD engine warranty. Is yours out if this?

When I got told by Mr T about the pump, no mention of extended warranty and I must admit, I knew nothing of it. The way my local Mr. T's service department are going, I will not be returning. The over inflated quote they gave me was the last straw.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links