Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seeing Red

Soeley

I got the caliper paint out this weekend :)

DSCF2532.jpg

DSCF2531.jpg

DSCF2530.jpg

Just for comparison.

WP_000105.jpg

Cheers David ;)

Nice. Makes me sad all over again that Scion chose not to use rear disk brakes.

Looks great! Is smooth hammerite ok to use? Im doing mine soon

Don't know about Hammerite, don't know if it has a high enough temperature rating. To be honest for the cost of it, I'd get the proper caliper paint, it is nice an thick and goes on well without running. Mine required 2 coats, half an hour between coats. But you have to let it dry for 24 hours before driving. Other brands might be different. Also buy some small artists paint brushes for the difficult bits.

Thanks I'll see what's available on that note.

Wheels really suit it!

I painted my last IQs calipers with red enamel paint, with no claims to being particularly heat resistant, about three years ago and it stayed on OK.

Unless you are a heavy braker or do track days, I think "normal" paint is sufficient, certainly not worth spending a lot of money on it.

What size alloys are those and have you had your IQ lowered too?

Agree, Normal enamel paint and Hammerite will be just fine for the temperatures found on a road car. You only need high temperature paint for track cars really. No harm in using it though if you do and if it's a similar price, go for it. :)

My DAX brakes are painted with red agricultural, Massey Ferguson red. Stays on just fine with an etch primer on the zinc plated callipers first.

Craig.

post-116364-0-08365600-1336408314_thumb.

What size alloys are those and have you had your IQ lowered too?

17" rims with 205/45/17 tyres. Eibach springs that drop the front 25mm ad rear 30mm.

How long do you guys leave the paint to dry before driving? So... white or silver :unsure:

When I sprayed the callipers silver on my car I cleaned the wheel inside first then left them in the sun to dry, Cleaned and sprayed the callipers then put the dry wheels straight back on.

In total I guess I only spent an hour doing each corner and as I have 2 trolley jacks I did one front corner and the opposite corner at the same time. This also allowed me to swap the wheels around to put the front ones on the back and even out the wear a bit.

Depends on which paint you use but fast drying spray paints can be driven again within the hour but slow drying enamels may be best left overnight.

Craig.

What ever it says on the tin.

The enamel I used previously dried very quickly, and that was it.

Once dry I just used the car normally.

Hammerite dries quickly too.

As long as the surfaces to be painted are clean and grease free before painting, just allow the paint to dry and then use the car normally.

Special caliper paint for use where the calipers may become very hot will have more involved procedures, so just follow the instructions on the tin of whatever paint you use.

Thanks chaps. Just whilst were on a 'caliper' thread, I thought I'd ask :)

I bought the Smooth Silver Hammerite paint for the calipers on our car. Soon as we get a few nice days sun... I'll get onto it. I used to -in days of old- paint the underside of my cars with aluminium paint for protection against rust. I had it so that the rear wheels were on ramps and the front jacked up and placed on axle stands. The worst part was crawling under it and getting covered in crap from a stiff brush, wire wool and a wire brush. Goggles and a face mask helped, but it played havoc with my long locks of hair, so I left the wig in the kitchen.

How long do you guys leave the paint to dry before driving? So... white or silver :unsure:

If you go for white, will it look too much? I'm going silver, to match my hair, erm, wheels. My wife reckons it will look better with our iQ being Purple/Amethyst.

Awesome mpg there dude. By the way, just an aside here, a woman parked next to us at the Range today said our car was awesome. I liked that. Also reminds me of the guy in Chuck, he was called awesome too. A good American word.

Think I'll be going for silver. White will probably be to much as you say. Not sure if its my mpg your on about or not? If so, it's just a case of not caring who's sitting up your rear all the time and using half the acceleration instead of full throttle. We worked out having the IQ will save us £18-£20 every fill up over our last car.. Which was only a 1.2 VW Polo!

Yes Aaron, I was referring to your mpg figure from Fuelly. I agree completely with you about tailgaters. I get them all the time around here in the lower speed limit areas. I'm going 30 or 40, abiding the limit, they're up my chuff because they want to go faster, but won't overtake. Sod 'em. Let them wait, it's the limit! Again, same in other areas, 50 or 60, even 70. I know I used to be the same back when fuel wasn't so expensive, so feel a little bad, like maybe 1% bad. Thing is, once out of these lower limit areas, I leave them behind as they are cruising around everywhere at 40, morons!

I would like some message on the rear window stating, 'I stick to speed limits.' Also, 'I want to save fuel, not time.' Sometimes of course, there are other messages I would like them to see! ;)

Maybe there is a market for a voice activated, LED display you mount in the rear window so you can say something like "Rear display, Twit" and it will. :D

Must be a market for them.... :)

Craig

PS, I didn't put twit initially, I misspelt it with an A but got censored. ;)

I can make those. And have it voice reconized by siri on an iPhone

David

Maybe there is a market for a voice activated, LED display you mount in the rear window so you can say something like "Rear display, Twit" and it will. :D

Must be a market for them.... :)

Craig

PS, I didn't put twit initially, I misspelt it with an A but got censored. ;)

Awit ??? :driving:

Along the rear window.... telling the person behind to get their headlights aligned!

Fish

Maybe bacon as you'll get done for using police... ;)

Fish