Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Took The G6R In For A Service, Now I Have An Oil Leak!

So I bought a G6R

Hi All,

Friday before last I took the rolla in for its annual service with the Honda garage I use (they've serviced it before) and now there is an oil slick under the car:

07052012985.jpg

Also, I found this weird corrugated piece on top of the plastic cowling below the pulleys, anyone know what it might be?

06052012983.jpg

Here you can see the amount of oil that has spread all over the plastic cowling (where the corrugated piece was found):

07052012984.jpg

The oil level is down to 3/4 now, not good for a car that's only been driven 75 miles since being serviced.

I felt underneath (what I think is) the oil filter and that's bone dry. The sump plug seems fine as the oil leak is higher up than that.

Any ideas what's going on?

Obviously I will be contacting the garage tomorrow, just want to have a bit more knowledge so I don't get BS'd by them!

Cheers all.

Hi,

To me it almost looks like the old oil filter has been left by the engine, its got split apart somehow and its paper element and old oil have come out of it ?

The oil level at 3/4 could be because they topped it up to approx the full level, then ran the engine so the level drops because of the oil filling up the new filter, but they do not check the level and top off again ..?

Think that last pic is the drive belt side so the old filter could have been cut open by the pulleys around there ..?

Can you see if all the belts are in place on the left hand side of the engine ? The bit of rubber looks like a belt, but could of been something the mechanic just had in his had and left it there by mistake. Also the oil could of been from an over fill, or was spilt onto the plastic cover when it was filled or the old filter was removed, it then dripped out once it was parked.

The best way to have a look is with a mirror and a torch (even in the daylight).

Do you have any ramps you could put it up on, or put one wheel on the kerb (if it's high) and take a look underneath.

06052012983.jpg

Is this plastic or rubber, as it could be a cable tie ?

I will take a look at the belts tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

If you click on the thumbnail it goes much larger and you'll see there it is corrugated - it does look like some sort of paper element??? I've not seen anything like it before, but the fact it was just languishing there makes me think the bloke doing the service wasn't concentrating! It's cut evenly along the length of it though, no idea what it is!

Cheers all

Go slap him with it :) lol

I went out to look at mine to try and take some photos, but :

1: it's rather dark lol

2: It's ****** it down :(

Oilfilter.jpg

Here we go, that's where you oil filter is, did you run your finger along underneath it ?

Looking at that id say the filters been split to get it off, which would explain the oil. I would make sure the new one has properally sealed too, give tha area a jet wash and see if the oil returns :)

In the end it was the oil cooler breather pipe that goes under the radiator that had split and was ****** out oil. And the corrugated piece was from the bottom of the air conditioning condensor and apparently isn't important!

Would have cost me £160 to fix this at the Honda garage, local garage sorted it out for me for £35!

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps, hope no-one else has this problem.

Thanks for the update, one to keep an eye out for :)