Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reversing Sensors

t-spiritpete

Hello to all,

has anyone fitted reversing sensors (after market type) to an Avensis T25 and can it be done without removing the rear bumper?

I have the correct location hole spec from the Toyota site at .....

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=

to avoid hitting the internal metal bumper but I was wondering (as it's raining at the moment so I don't fancy crawling under the car) :) if I could do it without removing the plastic bumper assembly.

Any advice would be appreciated ..... Pete. :thumbsup:

Yes, the bumper can stay in place - no problem at all. Fitted reversing sensors to my T25 hatchback last summer. Simple connection to the reversing light and earth using http://www.maplin.co.uk/snap-lock-automotive-cable-connectors-1073. Made a small whole in grommet in under nearside rear wing (well siliconed to ensure water tight) to bring wires into car - control box/speaker velcroed into rear left cubby hole. Halfords did a cracking job mixing a tin of matching spray paint - looks factory fitted. All wires under car cable-tied neatly to bumper brackets - discretely packed away. Takes about two hours (on a dry day!).

Yes, the bumper can stay in place - no problem at all. Fitted reversing sensors to my T25 hatchback last summer. Simple connection to the reversing light and earth using http://www.maplin.co...connectors-1073. Made a small whole in grommet in under nearside rear wing (well siliconed to ensure water tight) to bring wires into car - control box/speaker velcroed into rear left cubby hole. Halfords did a cracking job mixing a tin of matching spray paint - looks factory fitted. All wires under car cable-tied neatly to bumper brackets - discretely packed away. Takes about two hours (on a dry day!).

Thanks for that mate, I will get it done this weekend then. The sensors I got are Iron Grey which almost a perfect match to my Decuma Grey Avensis, the connectors from Maplin are about the same as Scotchlock connectors which I already have but thanks anyway :thumbsup:. Looking at the Toyota fitment chart I feel the 2 outside ones could be further out towards the corners instead of being level with the centre of the rear lights, what do you think?

Regards ... Pete.

Well mine work really well and give good coverage at the standard placement, so I couldn't recommend any change - if they are too far out they tend to register posts/parked cars etc next to the space into which you are reversing. My wifes car reversing sensors pick up the hedges on the side of our drive, so she ignores them when at home which rather defeats the object of having them to miss unexpected obstacles.

Well mine work really well and give good coverage at the standard placement, so I couldn't recommend any change - if they are too far out they tend to register posts/parked cars etc next to the space into which you are reversing. My wifes car reversing sensors pick up the hedges on the side of our drive, so she ignores them when at home which rather defeats the object of having them to miss unexpected obstacles.

Thanks very much for that info, I will stick to plan A then. I have never used parking sensors before and having driven a service van/truck for most of my working life I always use the side mirrors for reversing but I find the Avensis a bit weird, I find it hard to judge and always end up at least 2 feet away which is not a bad thing really. I recently lent my son my car and he said exactly the same thing so hence the parking sensors.

Thanks again mate and I will let you know how I get on,

Regards ..... Pete.

Well I never tried this reversing sensor on my Toyota. Well what is the problem in it?

Thanks very much for that info, I will stick to plan A then. I have never used parking sensors before and having driven a service van/truck for most of my working life I always use the side mirrors for reversing but I find the Avensis a bit weird, I find it hard to judge and always end up at least 2 feet away which is not a bad thing really. I recently lent my son my car and he said exactly the same thing so hence the parking sensors.

Regards ..... Pete.

Pete

I also find mine very difficult to gauge the rear overhang length - like you I often think I must be *really* close and there is a pretty big gap at the back. Is yours a hatch (can't tell from the pic)

Where did you get the sensors from?

Tim

Regards ..... Pete.

Pete

I also find mine very difficult to gauge the rear overhang length - like you I often think I must be *really* close and there is a pretty big gap at the back. Is yours a hatch (can't tell from the pic)

Tim

Hi Tim, I ordered the sensors from here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARKING-REVERSING-REAR-SENSORS-KIT-FOUR-SENSOR-KIT-/230405599727?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item35a53e71ef

They are £14.00 including free postage and were delivered Royal Mail in 2 days. I ordered Iron Grey as my car is Decuma grey after doing a bit of searching on other suppliers to see which was the closest match and as I said they are almost spot on. I should get them fitted soon so I will update you with more feedback.

Regards .... Pete.

Hi Pete,

Already during the test drive in a T27 Avensis Tourer, I noticed that reversing sensors would be an indispensible feature.

Mine were dealer installed before delivery, don't know the make.

The rear bumper was off anyway to install a towing hook.

It works perfectly and IMHO should be a standard feature on this shape of car, and the cost of it is less than a parking scratch. :disgust:

Best regards,

DodgyKnee is spot on with the sensor locations. Mine picks up side hedges and things a bit but not too drastic.

Regards ..... Pete.

Pete

Tim

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35a53e71ef

They are £14.00 including free postage and were delivered Royal Mail in 2 days. I ordered Iron Grey as my car is Decuma grey after doing a bit of searching on other suppliers to see which was the closest match and as I said they are almost spot on. I should get them fitted soon so I will update you with more feedback.

Regards .... Pete.

Well fitted and working and I am very pleased with the result, fitted the sensor locations as per Toyota instructions but without taking the bumper off. As DodgyKnee says the outer sensor position is fine as it gives a wide enough angle to pick up obstructions at the side.

It took a couple of hours to do and having the rear of the car up on ramps or axle stands makes life a lot easier, used wide masking tape and marker pen to get the holes spot on drilling 2mm pilot holes before using the hole cutter supplied. I took the n/s rear light assembly out (3 nuts removed one of which is hard to get at) then I could see how to get the multiplug off .... LOL, so easy when you can see it ;) . The earth wire black&red goes on one of the the lamp securing screws with a 6mm ring crimp connector and the red positive wire picks up from the reversing light wire at the multi plug which is the first wire in the multiplug nearest the outside of the car (forgot the colour sorry) using a Scotchlock type connector.

The 4 sensor wires come up through a grommet which is already in the well behind the n/s rear wheel, I mounted the control unit inside that well void with the adhesive pad and the alarm on the small l/h vinyl trim next to the parcel shelf again self adhesive, the wire can be concealed behind the fabric trim.

All in all it does exactly as advertised so I am very pleased with the out come, at £14.00 it's a bargain!

Regards .... Pete. :thumbsup:

I notice that Toyota are currently offering to fit rear sensors for £249 which seems a bit steep. Have a newly acquired T27 estate and wife seems to think they would be useful despite the rear camera. Took a quick look up under the bumper and there is a block connector hanging free there near the centre. Does anyone know if this is used for the rear sensors and if so would any additional kit be needed?

Sounds like a good job done well. I used to hate parking the chariot in car parks - I was forever getting out and checking how far back I could still go. Usually the estimate was so bad a trailer could have fitted in when I was convinced the wall was only a millimetre away. These days (yes I know it sounds sad) I actually choose to reverse park just to use the sensors. Best investment ever.

Hi

I have a T27 salloon, had the dealer fit at £249 as the warranty would not be affected.

I have fitted aftermarket sensors before and find them just as good as the dealer fit.

The Toyota offer is not for Toyota brand sensor , but warranty is still ok.

Just be aware that the position of the sounder is crucial if you want to hear it.

The dealer fit is hidden and can be muffled.

Ian

Thanks for that information Ian. Am currently trying to persuade the wife she won't need them. £249 seems even more expensive if it's not the original Toyota fit.

That set looks better than the £10 set I bough on eBay.

Having said that, mine worked though!

I'm very cautious, to the extent, I'll reverse towards a car, the things won't beep, and I'll assume they're broken, because I fitted them. Get out, and realise, I was so far away they hadn't registered the other car yet, and that's why they weren't beeping!

Reversing sensors? Just clean your mirrors! ;)

Reversing sensors? Just clean your mirrors! ;)

Still use my mirrors even with the sensors fitted as old habits die hard mate, I'm very happy with the sensors though ..... brilliant! :P :thumbsup:.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

thought i'd have a go at fitting some - all looks pretty straight forward apart from - which wire do you splice into? Multiplug has 5 wires on it numbered 2,3,4,5,6, which is the reversing light? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks, Jerry

have a look at the Toyota Tech site, it has the installation instructions which will tell you the best place to tap into the wiring.

have a look at the Toyota Tech site, it has the installation instructions which will tell you the best place to tap into the wiring.

Hi, yes done that - all looks a bit confusing as I think that Toyota would pick the feed up straight from the fuse box? Easier to 'splice' into the reversing light wire - just wanted to know which one it is on the rear light cluster, thanks

3 pages of discussion and nobody has said it so I will:

They are called 'bumpers' for a reason.

Only kidding.........I think.

Regards ..... Pete.

Pete

Tim

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35a53e71ef

Regards .... Pete.

Well fitted and working and I am very pleased with the result, fitted the sensor locations as per Toyota instructions but without taking the bumper off. As DodgyKnee says the outer sensor position is fine as it gives a wide enough angle to pick up obstructions at the side.

It took a couple of hours to do and having the rear of the car up on ramps or axle stands makes life a lot easier, used wide masking tape and marker pen to get the holes spot on drilling 2mm pilot holes before using the hole cutter supplied. I took the n/s rear light assembly out (3 nuts removed one of which is hard to get at) then I could see how to get the multiplug off .... LOL, so easy when you can see it wink.png . The earth wire black&red goes on one of the the lamp securing screws with a 6mm ring crimp connector and the red positive wire picks up from the reversing light wire at the multi plug which is the first wire in the multiplug nearest the outside of the car (forgot the colour sorry) using a Scotchlock type connector.

The 4 sensor wires come up through a grommet which is already in the well behind the n/s rear wheel, I mounted the control unit inside that well void with the adhesive pad and the alarm on the small l/h vinyl trim next to the parcel shelf again self adhesive, the wire can be concealed behind the fabric trim.

All in all it does exactly as advertised so I am very pleased with the out come, at £14.00 it's a bargain!

Regards .... Pete. thumbsup.gif

Hi, did you take any pics of the installation/other details interested myself in this.

thanks.

I think that Toyota would pick the feed up straight from the fuse box? Easier to 'splice' into the reversing light wire - just wanted to know which one it is on the rear light cluster, thanks

According to the Toyota Tech site for the T27 the wiring is spliced into at a connector under the side lining in the boot. Ie close to where everything is fitted. It doesn't make much sense to run a wire from the fusebox all the way to the boot when the wiring is already there.

Thanks all, does anybody know which bl**dy wire it is?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links