Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 D4D Dpf Removal

parich

Hi All,

I'm in the process of replacing the DPF on my Avensis T180......

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to get it out?

Do In need to remove the turbo, manifold etc ... then bring it out upwards .... or remove the exhaust etc ... and bring it out downwards?

Cheers

Paul

• Confused 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, same deal on my Corolla Verso T180, it looks almost impossible to remove the unit without some major strip down work, what is the best way to remove the DPF?

My MPG is seriously down (to about 23mpg) it enters regeneration mode almost daily now (puffs of blue smoke as the 5th injector fires in an attempt to clear the DPF, unsuccessfully!) I've tried the old fashioned Italian tune up down the motorway at 4000rpm and although this did fire some real grot out of the box its still the same.

I really need to get to the DPF and check it out properly.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated folks, I love my Verso but this is doing my nut in!!

Cheers Ben

MOT testing stations have been required check for a DPF as part of the MOT test from February 2014. The vehicle will automatically fail the MOT test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is no longer present.

I've seen the emulators, does this in some way bypass the DPF (i.e. the exhaust gasses no longer have to pass through the blocked filter?

The emulator emulates regenerating and sensors.

The dpf should be emty

• 2 weeks later...

Really wish i had found this forum prior to my issues….have had all the symptoms now.

1. Lack of power

2. Warning Lights

3. Limp mode (i think - wife had the car and trying to decode her description is harder than fixing any car!!!!!)

Car appears to be ok now,

Have cleaned out the EGR Valve. (64000miles and never done - was a mess)

Cleaned the link pipe( blown through with compressor - was a mess)

these two on their own didn't appear to do anything..

as a last ditch effort (car is booked in to Toyota on Wed for a check anyway) I blow the compressor down the hole that the link pipe connects to (to DPF) as a hope to loosen enough crap to allow me to thrash the car for a bit and hopefully clear it out..and also reset the ECU (-ve Battery lead)

Wasn't convince it was going to work, but car now appears to be running as well as ever…Now going to leave it on the drive way until Toyota can get it on Wed...

Sorry is a 57 plate T180..Wife had been using the car for a 1 mile each way to school for a while now, so after reading these posts it is no wonder the car is struggling…guess i get it back now and she can have the **** run about.

Going to get Toyota to force a regen on the DPF to..really could do without a massive bill..

• 2 years later...
On 11/05/2012 at 12:52 PM, parich said:

Hi All,

I'm in the process of replacing the DPF on my Avensis T180......

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to get it out?

Do In need to remove the turbo, manifold etc ... then bring it out upwards .... or remove the exhaust etc ... and bring it out downwards?

Cheers

Paul

Hi paul what was the problem i got same botter now with t180 avensis thank

Checking the dpf is in place on a vehicle that should have one is part of the MOT, and this process is being strengthened in 2018. Removing the dpf may result in failing the MOT.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Checking the dpf is in place on a vehicle that should have one is part of the MOT, and this process is being strengthened in 2018. Removing the dpf may result in failing the MOT.

Out of interest even though I never will own a diesel, I have read in all sort of forums and websites about the tricks and things done with DPF removal.

Depending on the MOT tester and with current tests, it can be hard to determine if the DPF is present, if the removal was done expertly - notice I didn't use the word 'properly'!

The current smoke test only checks exhaust output, not if the DPF is working. The DPF in some cases is totally gutted and then case placed back on the car.

The ECU is either reprogrammed or a device is added to fool the ECU.

Now will the new rules check for all the above? There are some testers who 'turn a blind eye'. Do Vosa send in 'test cars' to check the MOT tester?

What if somebody buys a secondhand car and not aware that the DPF has been tampered with, or don't even know about cars to understand what a DPF is?