Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help - Possible Problem With Car...

paulnanrod

I'll try and make this as simple as possible. I bought a 2004 Rav4 XT4. I've already asked/mentioned about the scratches on the paintwork that aren't an issued as I knew about them. There are 2 things that have happened since buying:

1 - a knocking noise, sounding like from the front wheel (possibly suspension).

2 - a clunk from the back when I braked earlier and there was a grinding noise when driving after. When I got home I noticed between the spokes of the alloys that there is some rust/corroded metal behind the brake pad. I've attached a picture below, to see if anyone can help as to what they think it is? First is through the spokes and you can see the 'thing' below the brake pad, second is from the back of the wheel.

I'm calling the garage I bought it from tomorrow morning, but have a problem that I'm in Sunderland and bought it from Glasgow. Don't know where I stand with it, but know I wouldn't want to drive it to Glasgow without knowing what the problem was, and do not want the expense of doing so.

If anyone knows where I would stand with it or has an idea what's wrong with it, please help - you can probably guess I have no idea about the mechanics of a car so apologies if there are any glaring errors with my descriptions

Paul

post-84274-0-40759800-1337023376_thumb.j

post-84274-0-95999400-1337023393_thumb.j

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paulnanrod

• anchorman

• jedi134

• CharlieFarlie

As the problem seems to be brake related I would suggest that an experienced fitter looks at this ASAP!!

Might even be worth asking a mobile fitter to look at it before driving it

At least after that you will have some info before contacting the dealer

Hope it all works out OK for you

Del

If that second picture is the rear disc then its completely knackered.. It would NOT be advisable to drive the car with defective brakes . In fact it would be completely the opposite !

Has that car been in the sea ?IE does it have a tow bar ? I have seen cars looking like that when Owners have backed Jetskis and boats into sea water when launching !

A fairly urgent and major brake overhaul is on the cards by the looks of it !!!

Rear pads and discs are dead common on 4.2s. If the calipers are worn they will need renewing too.

Just had the RAC out and they advised it was a corroded, loose heat shield that caused the noise and the grinding. The RAC man said the heat shield although necessary, with being the back one it isn't as important as the front heat shields, but needs replacing.

The thing he was most concerned about was the fact that the brake caliper on the back was damaged and the retaining pin that should have been holding it in was replaced by a plastic cable tie. He was concerned that the garage sold it this way and mainly that I had driven back nearly 200 miles from the garage.

Sounds like the garage it came from should be reported to Trading Stadards,

I cant see any way that car could be driven back safely and if they say they will fix it,personally I would tell them that you have had it looked at and no way will you be doing so!

In fact I would be hinting at legal action if I was not given my money back.

Who knows what else has been bodged up?

Others may have suggestions re your course of action as well.

You seem to have been given a very raw deal there

Del

Get a quote on the work required in order to make it safe - nothing more. Call the garage you bought it from and get them to agree, in writing, that they'll cover the cost of the repairs. Once you've had the work done, invoice them.

How you get them to agree to the above is really a matter of approach... all I can suggest is that you remain calm and respectful as you're more likely to get what you want that way.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Get a quote on the work required in order to make it safe - nothing more. Call the garage you bought it from and get them to agree, in writing, that they'll cover the cost of the repairs. Once you've had the work done, invoice them.

How you get them to agree to the above is really a matter of approach... all I can suggest is that you remain calm and respectful as you're more likely to get what you want that way.

Off topic here Mate but how so a Super Moderator and five stars with 51 posts ??

Got to agree with you there Charlie, I was amazed at that!!!!!!!!!

Regards Clare

After speaking to Citizens Advice, under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 the dealer should repair/replace the car, then if not repaired/replaced provide a refund.

Has anyone been in this situation? With the nature of the problem (brakes) I have requested full repair of the issues (heat shields and brake calipers) but as well have a complete check of the braking system to ensure it is all in working order with no other issues. I have emailed this to them and will see what the outcome is.

Here's the pic of the brake caliper with the plastic cable tie holding it in place.....

post-84274-0-84550400-1337072703_thumb.j

Off topic here Mate but how so a Super Moderator and five stars with 51 posts ??

:huh:

Here's the pic of the brake caliper with the plastic cable tie holding it in place.....

Blimey do the fronts look the same?......those rears look very rusty indeed .

Nope. Service was carried out 1500 miles ago and the front brakes were replaced then

Just spoken with the man from the garage and he's told me to take it to a local garage to get priced up and get the bill to him. He'll then transfer me the money to get it fixed.

Was very apologetic for letting me take a car that way, with my 8 months pregnant fiance to drive nearly 200 miles!!!

Will see where it goes from here......

Its a good start.

Just spoken with the man from the garage and he's told me to take it to a local garage to get priced up and get the bill to him. He'll then transfer me the money to get it fixed.

Was very apologetic for letting me take a car that way, with my 8 months pregnant fiance to drive nearly 200 miles!!!

Will see where it goes from here......

Typical of your average Glesga Guy, Paul......downright good people if you ask me.....

If for any reason you need to bring it back to Glasgow, PM me before travellation.

Big Kev.

I've spoken with the garage I use and they've explained:

The brake dust shield (bit that rusted and fell off) he can only get from Toyota and is £367+VAT

The Caliper and pad x 2 + labour is £230 + VAT

Does that sound right? The man at the garage I use said Brake shield sounds very expensive for the part - the most expensive one he's had to buy before is £75 + VAT but can't source one elsewhere.

That dust shield has to be the wrong price, surely Toyota cant charge that for it................. Otherwise I will start making them from old quality street tins and selling on eBay..

PM Kingo for some prices...

Is it just the one side that needs fixing?

Plus how necessary are the dust shields?

Jedi - no - one has rusted and fallen off and the other is on its way.....

What is the full name of Kingo so I can send them a PM please?

Plus how necessary are the dust shields?

I would tend not to bother with them, but they must be there for a reason, If the garage is paying id get one fitted

Parts King (Kingo)

Thanks for that Jedi - PM'd him so will wait to hear back.

I'm in 2 minds. The garage I've taken it to says it needs the calipers and pads on both sides doing and to replace the dust/heat shields as one has fallen off and the other is on the way. When I call the garage to say about the bill - nearly £1200 for parts I can guess the reaction. I going through 2 thoughts:

1 - if the shields aren't necessary then don't bother. Get the calipers and brakes sorted....approx £250-£300

2 - I have paid over £4000 for a car with the parts on - they're on for a reason so should be on so need to be on. I think this is going to go on longer than I want it to and be met with arguments, but think I've paid for it so need it.

I keep going between the two, but my main thought is I've paid for a product so want it as it should be. This would end up the garage losing out quite a bit to get it back to how it should be. Guess Citizens advice will tell me along the lines of point 2 but I keep thinking between the 2

Thanks again

Paul

Well, the seller either knew what they were selling or they failed to check properly so, either way, the onus is on them to sort it out.............

Have you tried a breakers, I suspect the Toyota parts may be silly money.