Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mobil 1

The Director

Hi Everyone,

I had a leased Prius Gen 2 for 4 years and have been reading this site for some time. I was so pleased with it that in February I bought a Gen 3 which I intend to keep (until the wheels fall off). I used Mobil 1 engine oil in a Carina some years ago and the protection it offered was amazing, zero consumption and the engine sounded like new at over 130,000 miles. Being well aware of the issues surrounding engine oil for the Gen 3 I was wondering which if any Mobil 1 oils was suitable for the Prius Gen 3. There seems to be a version that is suitable and is available over here but was wonding what the true picture is?

Many thanks in advance

I believe it has to be the 0w20 version BUT I'm sure I've read somewhere that it has to be a certain type of Mobil 1 0w20 for the Prius.

I could be wrong. Personally on a fairly new car like the gen3 I'd stick to a main dealer servicing as it is a small price to pay for peace of mind regardless of which warranty the gen3 model has.

Thanks Grumpy, I have been reading your comments for some time and I am aware that you have had a problem with the wrong oil sometime ago. However using the standard oil from the excellent Sandhurst Toyota and after some 90,000 miles my Gen 2 was starting to use oil and I was trying to maximise the life of my new 'pride & joy'. I guess a chat with the service manager might be the best option I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience of the increased protection that Mobil 1 is supposed to offer. Also the ideal version of Mobil 1 does not seem to be that easily available any thoughts would be appreciated.

Agree with GC stick with main dealer servicing. On my last service I was given the OW20 oil container in it was some oil not used in the engine replenishment. I have a 3 year service contract and it works out well. The only criticism I had about the last service was that rhe front & rear tyre pressures were 7 PSI too high from that recommended. Other than that the service was very good.

My understanding is that a Toyota main dealer can not be restricted to a particular brand of oil by Toyota. I think it is unlikely that the main dealer would be using Toyota's own brand of engine oil in your car, but maybe there are some that do?

For my Gen 2, the local dealer used Castrol on my first service. The dealer an hour away used Mobil on my last service. I would expect a similar situation for the Gen 3.

Thank you for your comments but the more I look into this the more complex it seems to become. We all know that the Prius is very sensitive to the grade of engine oil it is filled with and having had the aforementioned Castrol in my earlier Prius I would like the added protection that Mobil 1 is supposed to offer. There appears to be 0W 20 and a 0W 30 that is branded specifically 'Fuel Economy'. Have a look at www.mobil1.co.uk and you'll see what I mean. Or was i just unlucky that my Gen 2 became a bit of an 'oil burner' in later life?

All thoughts appreciated

There are a few threads here about oil.

Like http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=134917

This is about the Gen2.

Maybe you can find the similar data sheet for the gen3 somewhere?

Edit:

The Gen3 is mentioned in this chart.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134917&st=15&p=1199301entry1199301

Thanks for that it's all a bit confusing for us mere mortals. Even Opie Oils don't seem to recommend an oil for the 1.8 Gen 3 only the 1.5 Gen 2. Think I might talk to the dealer and get their thoughts after all it was them that suggested I put Mobil 1 in my Carina many many years ago which is what got me thinking about it in the first place!!!

I think the quality control standards are higher here in Europe than in America where lots of internet information comes from. I'd stick with the correct oil grades unless you're an expert in oil types etc.

Not sure why the gen2 burnt oil as I'm at 65k hard hard miles and mine doesn't burn a drop. There are reports of some gen2's burning oil prematurely in the USA too, so many there is a design issue? My money is on the oil level being allowed to get too low causing engine damage, or maybe, and this is a long shot, could the engine have been damaged during oil change? A lot of garages are just unfamiliar with the Prius and the fact the engine is not runnings leads them to believe the car is switched off - they then empty oil - car detects temperature drop so starts oil free engine and bang, clatter, clatter bang. Garage quckly realises mistake, turns off car, fills engine with new oil and crosses fingers all will be ok. Unfortunately the damage has been done and the car will burn oil in future.

I'm not saying that's what's happened, but it does make sense.

Thanks for that it's all a bit confusing for us mere mortals. Even Opie Oils don't seem to recommend an oil for the 1.8 Gen 3 only the 1.5 Gen 2. Think I might talk to the dealer and get their thoughts after all it was them that suggested I put Mobil 1 in my Carina many many years ago which is what got me thinking about it in the first place!!!

Mobil on their website they recommend for the !.8 engine which they describe as 2ZR-FXE. their Advanced Fully Sythetic 0W-20 oil.

Should have thought Opie Oils would have got advice direct from Mobil themselves.

I have not got a Prius myself but would have thought this confusion of which oil for which varient of the prius engine would have been sorted out by now.

If the dealers dont know, though i suspect it something to do with the costs.

normaly dealers carry the oil in bulk,so if a owner is given the remains of whats left in a can of 0W-20 then they have not got it in bulk. so not getting it as cheap as usuel.

Opie only do one oil suitable for the Gen III. This is the Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0W-20 ( http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-875-motul-8100-eco-lite-0w-20-petrol-engine-oil-100-synthetic-ester-based.aspx).

However, this has got to be very much more expensive lately (£63 with the Opie discount). This is much higher than when I started buying it.

If it is of any interest, I've just ordered Total 0W-20 oil for the next (80,000 mile) service at £37-79 from Nielsen (http://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/0w-20_Total_Quartz_9000_Future.html)

Thank you all for your input as I said this oil situation gets more complex the more you look at it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now but as I said before I am on good terms with my local dealer, who some years ago used to push Mobil 1 so I think a little chat with them would be a good idea. I let you all know what happens.

Hi you can get genuine Toyota 0w20 oil from e-bay (2008holdcroft) for £33.99 plus £6.49 postage seems a good deal

Hi you can get genuine Toyota 0w20 oil from e-bay (2008holdcroft) for £33.99 plus £6.49 postage seems a good deal

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links