Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Latitude Tour Hp | Michelin Tyres

Nigebob Squarepants

Just had 2x newbies fitted!

Anyone had experience of these (in snow or otherwise)

I’ve read varying reports on them, some great, some not-so

Will be watching tyre pressures v. carefully after have 4x4 bluetooth alignment done.

Hi Nigel,

I have had a full set of Lattitude Tours on for just short of 20K. I don't know what the original tread depth was but the MOT test said that I had 5mm on the fronts and 6 on the backs. They are VERY quiet compared with the original tyres and performed brilliantly over the last two winters. "When I were a lad", Michelins seemed to last the life of a car ( OK, it was a Renault ). The compound now is much softer but the ride and handling are great. They were expensive to fit, but I would/will buy them again.

Got 4 fitted the now, done 25k with them, still got 5-6mm tread left. No issues, especially in snow. Never got stuck once in the 3-4ft snow a few years back and I stay 'up the braes' as they say..

Jas

I've got them all round -great in the snow (though not a snow tyre) and expecting them to last 30k as opposed to the Toyos which lasted around 27K. Recommended.

Got 4 fitted the now, done 25k with them, still got 5-6mm tread left. No issues, especially in snow. Never got stuck once in the 3-4ft snow a few years back and I stay 'up the braes' as they say..

Jas

What size ( width and profile ) have you got fitted Jas? The Rav 4.3 has 225s fitted as original equipment but these are not available in the Latitude Tour so I have now got 235's. The speedometer is now almost spot-on as opposed to before when it rather optimistic.

Landrover people love these tyres and the synchrones.........

The 235 won't make a difference to your speedo, that's just the width of the tyre,its the 60, 65, 70 etc, percentage of section width, that alters speed readings, and the rim size of course :thumbsup:

The 235 won't make a difference to your speedo, that's just the width of the tyre,its the 60, 65, 70 etc, percentage of section width, that alters speed readings, and the rim size of course :thumbsup:

Always had Michelin's on my LR. Been known to do 50,000 miles!!

Dave

PS measured the tread "from new" at 9mm. Compared to the Rav's default tyre of the Geolandar, which measured 8mm from new (which I've got on the Rav!) NB they were both exact same price bought last year a month apart!

Yes but...

The 60, 65 etc is a percentage of the width, not a measurement in itself so a 60 on a 235 will be taller than a 60 on a 225 and hence will effect the Speedo accuracy.

I like the original fit Geolanders. Fronts lasted 35k and the rears are now coming upto 40k and will be replaced at 40k. Never had any problems in the snow/wet or on the beach. A great tyre, and my local fitter puts em on fir £110.00 a corner.

On the subject of Michelins for the RAV, what a shame to find that the half-terrain version - the Michelin Latitude Cross - is mysteriously not available in 235/60 R16 100V, but only 100T, and therefore not meeting the speed rating required for the car. More peculiarly, in many other sizes it is available in 100V !

I have made thorough enquiries to Michelin UK and Michelin HQ on this, and none of the explanations are at all convincing.

I have read it that tyre companies sometimes deliberately restrict the spec of some of their mid-range offerings, in the hope that buyers will migrate upmarket to more expensive tyres.

Anyone had a similar experience with this?

Chris

I like the original fit Geolanders. Fronts lasted 35k and the rears are now coming upto 40k and will be replaced at 40k. Never had any problems in the snow/wet or on the beach. A great tyre, and my local fitter puts em on fir £110.00 a corner.

Miles or kms???

Miles

Flippin ek, I hope mine do that well!

Did you buy that car new?

Yep bought new. Posted some pics back in 2009 when I did. The fronts had 3mm on when I changed em at 35k. The rears this morning at 39k have 3.5 on them and will be changed at 40k or in about 6weeks.

I was impressed with the mileage from them. I did want to fit Geolander a/t-s tyres but could not get them for love nor money. I decided to stick with factory fit, and they were brilliant on my recent big European trip.

Thanks for the replies!

I’ve found them to be very quiet and time will tell how long they last.

But from what I have read, it is very important you keep an eye on the tyre pressures, as a few people reported the tyre being shredded inside

after not a lot of miles. ……But who knows what pressures they had in them.

If you run a car on low tyre pressures I don’t think any tyre will survive for very long.

With regard tyre pressures (I’am getting a bit obsessive with them just now) when I check them I find there is 2psi difference between the two

sides of the car!, this is when I am at work and on my lunchtime, after having already checking them the day before at home.

I only realised recently that it was the position of the SUN! relative to the car that was making the difference when I was taking the readings.

I know the tyres are supposed to be cold when taking the readings, but I didn’t think a bit (and I mean a bit) of sunshine, would make 2psi difference.

A ten degree [F] rise in ambient temperature will increase the tyre pressure about 1 PSI apparently...............

Nice one Ancs!

I only thought the pressures would rise when the car had been driven a bit, not just a wee bit of sunshine.

I have to get used to this sort of thing down here! Best time to check pressures is first thing in the morning, before car has been out, and before the sun has got up.

Chris

I have fitted TPMS to my last two RAVs and found it very interesting how the tyre pressures vary .....

Setting the pressures the same all round when cold and out of any direct sunlight firstly as the control pressure.

After just a fairly brief run, I have always found the front tyres are a couple of PSI over the rears. Also find one side (the right IIRC) is a couple of PSI over the other.

As far as sunlight and ambient temp goes, I used to always have to up the temp in the winter to avoid the low pressure warning going off even though on longer journeys the running PSI would be the same winter or summer. The air temp in the tyre can easily go upto and past 40c for the tyres that were sitting in the sunshine as the black rubber absorbs heat so well.

I now am a strong believer in setting the tyre pressures according to how you will be using the car, rather then just assuming the same pressure left to right is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Year I had michelin tyres fitted on my car and never had any problems with them, but they are too expensive. There are many unknown tire products which are produced by brand tire manufacturers.

Such as: Bridgestone: Firestone, Fastline, Lassa Tyres

Michelin, BF Goodrich:

Accis, Brunswick, Cavalier, Crown, Kormoran, Miller

Now I have Lassa Phenoma Tyres on my car and I'm very happy with them

we just replaced all 4 tires and the tire fitter was gob smacked as two of them were from 2003! :o

and guess what, the 2003 tires were in better condition then both 2007 tires!

the rav 4 is from 2003 with 120k miles so they were probably factory fitted tires...

tires were / are the Bridgestone duellers.

back to topic;

i always had michelin tires on my renault 25 turbo-d and got about 120k km with them. they are deer but you get what you pay for.