Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Size Change

nam-thip

I have a 2004 Toyota Yaris T Spirit 1.3 A with standard factory fitted 14” alloy wheels.

A family member has offered me a full set of brand new 15” alloys and as my tyres only have around 3mm of tread left it would be a good time to make the change, but only if its possible.

Can anyone tell me if it’s wise to remove the 14” wheels and replace them with 15” wheels?

What are the pros and cons of doing such a thing?

Any info would be appreciated.

I'm not sure wisdom comes into it. Realistically it's an appearance/vanity thing, though if your existing wheels are in poor condition then replacing them does make some sense.

Provided the new wheels have the correct number of bolt/stud holes, PCD, hub diameter and offset, and have a similar width, and that the tyres you put on them are also a similar width to the OEMs and have an aspect ratio that gives the same or near diameter, then there really should be no problem.

If anything of those dimensions is much different you need to start considering clearance to the fixed bits of the car and speedometer error.

Pros: They'll look different and if your OEMs are looking 'old' new wheels will obviously be smarter.

Cons: They'll look different, the ride may be a little harsher, your insurance company may up your premium for modifying the car.

I'm not sure wisdom comes into it. Realistically it's an appearance/vanity thing, though if your existing wheels are in poor condition then replacing them does make some sense.

Provided the new wheels have the correct number of bolt/stud holes, PCD, hub diameter and offset, and have a similar width, and that the tyres you put on them are also a similar width to the OEMs and have an aspect ratio that gives the same or near diameter, then there really should be no problem.

If anything of those dimensions is much different you need to start considering clearance to the fixed bits of the car and speedometer error.

Pros: They'll look different and if your OEMs are looking 'old' new wheels will obviously be smarter.

Cons: They'll look different, the ride may be a little harsher, your insurance company may up your premium for modifying the car.

Thanks for the usefull info Mike.

I purchased the Yaris last August which had one previous owner who for whatever reason fell in love with the kerbside and as a result the alloy wheels are in poor condition. I made an enquiry to have them refurbished but at £80 per wheel i decided it was to expensive.

I spoke with the family member who has offered me the wheels and this is the wheel info he gave me.

Size: 15x6.5J

Offset: 38

H/PCD: 4/100

Drill: 1522

Bore: 73.1A

The wheels have a 4 hole stud fixing

How do i find the above info on my 14" wheels?

I purchased the Yaris last August which had one previous owner who for whatever reason fell in love with the kerbside and as a result the alloy wheels are in poor condition. I made an enquiry to have them refurbished but at £80 per wheel i decided it was to expensive.

I spoke with the family member who has offered me the wheels and this is the wheel info he gave me.

Hello mate the wheels on your Yaris are 4x100 studs/bolts, 38 offset on the rim and 54.1 centre bore (the hole in the middle) so those wheels have the wrong centre bore, yes they will fit on but won't be supported by the hub ... not recommmended! Take off one of your wheels and the info should be stamped on the inside of the rim.

Why don't you have a look on eBay for some genuine used14" toyota wheels from a later car they will look good and will be in keeping with the car, also your insurance will be happier. I agree with other comments but a yaris does look nicer with 15" or 16" wheels, our Yaris SR has 16" wheels and lowered suspension but it was a factory fitment so the insurance already know that.

Regards ..... Pete.

Some aftermarket alloys come with, or have available, inserts to reduce the centre bore to other common values, so you could check that before making a decision.

If you change to non standard alloys, you will have to inform your insurance company.. or you may not be insured.

Hello mate the wheels on your Yaris are 4x100 studs/bolts, 38 offset on the rim and 54.1 centre bore (the hole in the middle) so those wheels have the wrong centre bore, yes they will fit on but won't be supported by the hub ... not recommmended! Take off one of your wheels and the info should be stamped on the inside of the rim.

Why don't you have a look on eBay for some genuine used14" toyota wheels from a later car they will look good and will be in keeping with the car, also your insurance will be happier. I agree with other comments but a yaris does look nicer with 15" or 16" wheels, our Yaris SR has 16" wheels and lowered suspension but it was a factory fitment so the insurance already know that.

Regards ..... Pete.

Once again thanks for info,

I'll remove one of the wheels this coming weekend and if as you say the centre bore is larger on the 15" wheels then i might scrap the freebies and look for a good quality second hand set of 14" alloys.

I now wonder if its all worth it what with the insurance issue and having to buy a further 15" wheel as a spare plus shopping around to see if i can obtain wheel bore inserts.

Having to fit inserts doesnt fill me with confidence.

I'll also speak with my local Toyota agent/mechanic and see what they have to say.

I'll post my decision once i've removed one of the wheels on Saturday.

Cheers

Dan

... and having to buy a further 15" wheel as a spare ...
I don't think you need to if your new tyre/wheel combination has the same effective diameter (give or take a few %). Just treat it like a spacesaver spare and take it easy when using it - as you always should with a spare that has a different tyre type to the road wheels.

Thanks for information and suggestions to everyone that replied to my post.

For the moment i've put the 15" wheel change idea on the back burner until a later date.

Stay cool, Dan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links