Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing 5Th Gear On 4.1 And 4.2 Gearboxes.

anchorman

I have just completed the 5th gear replacement (I haven't done the fluids change yet) but when I ran through the gears with the engine off 5th gear feels 'notchy'. It will engage into 5th gear but it isn't smooth. I am fairly sure I did everything by the book but it doesn't feel right - I don't want to do a fluids change and waste the new transmission oil.

The needle bearing is the same size as the one I pulled off but there is some play in the 5th gear itself - it isn't a tight fit.

The 5th gear problem started off being the same as everyone else but in the end it wouldnt even engage into 5th gear it would crunch and grind as soon as I pulled my foot off the clutch.

Can anyone offer some advice?

I just worked out that the needle bearing was the wrong size which was why 5th gear felt like it had a lot of play in it (I checked it against the old one after reading people had issues with this), but it is the 5th gear itself that is larger than the original which means that I need a different size bearing to make up the difference. Unfortunately I returned the harmonic balancer puller I borrowed to do the job and have to pull everything off and start again - at least I didn't do any damage.

I spoke to a local transmission shop and they said that with all the new synchro rings and everything (plus only the oil that I put on the parts as I spread on when I installed them) it isn't unusual for things to feel a bit tight and notchy at first.

just thought i would follow up on my gearbox 5th gear problem i posted back in oct last year,i eventually ordered the parts as listed from Kingo,they were much more expensive over here(Spain) the total cost including delivery to Spain was just under £500,i didn`t attempt the job myself in the end but got a quote from a local english garage of 240 euro`s,labour, going on the excellent guides posted on here,,he took the time involved,6hrs labour, from advice on the postings having never done one before,

When i went to pick the car up to my suprise the bill only came to 140 euros as he told me it only took him 31/2hrs.

the 5th gear is now excellent having been running for 2000 miles with no probs. Having been ripped off by 2 other english garages over here it is nice to be able to post something positive about small garages,needless to say i will be using him for all other services etc and so will all my expat friends.

Robin

Anybody doing a 5th gear job will need to buy ALL the 5th gear components as most of them are superseeded and the old and new parts cannot be interchanged with each other. Parts are a bit over £500

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hello Guy's, I'm a newbie on the Toyota Forum and the name is Dave. I've been reading through a lot of post's about the 5th gear problem, this has just started with mine (VX on a 2002, mileage 65k)

A couple of days ago I noticed that when accelerating or de-accelerating the gear lever started moving backwards or forward, there was no noises or vibrations. For a short while I could hold the lever in with very little pressure but then it started to jump out very harshly and I was unable to hold it in after that.

Will this be a new 5th gear job or a cable problem? I remember years ago, i had a 1800 Landcrab that did the same and that was just stretched cables.

Thanks, Dave

I suspect it will be a fifth gear job, holding the gear stick is one of the causes. ALL the fifth gear parts are modified so if you go down the route of changing those parts only, you will need all of them

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick reply Kingo. When I said holding the lever in, I didn't mean that was how I drove it. I tried holding it in when it started jumping out, but that wasn't for long because it shortly became a fairly vicious snatch that I couldn't hold, it nearly broke my blo*dy thumb...lol

Dave

Well it all wizzes around quite quick inside a gearbox so lucky you didn't break it :lol:

A lot of people drive with their hand on the knob :naughty: and that is one of the reasons for 5th failing

• 1 year later...
Just thought I would post here even though the thread is quite old.

I have a 2004 d4d, with 126,000 miles.

Did the clutch / flywheel 20,000 miles ago, when the rattle from the clutch was covering up the rattle from the gearbox, The rattle from the gearbox then got worse over the years until 5th gear disappeared completely about 1,000 miles before I replaced the gear. Carried on driving without 5th with no problems, just went slower on the motorway.

Did the research for the parts and confirmed with Toyota UK, this is a copy from one of the final emails before purchase. I could have got them cheaper elsewhere, but just want to be sure the parts were right, and could be returned if required

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:25:36 +0000

Good Afternoon. The part numbers you have listed below are the same as the ones I have identified from out parts look up system, the ex vat prices are:-

33336-42020 £128.44 Gear

90364-28023 £43.05 Bearing

33395-42012 £ 68.51 Sleeve

33393-42010 £73.84 Hub

At the time of checking all parts are available.

These part numbers were taken from the Toyota parts schematic given to me to choose from, I can forward it on if anybody requires it.

Other bits needed were

A simple harmonic puller,

Some liquid gasket.

a 70/80mm m12 1.5mm pitch bolt to pull back on again.

Watched this video a couple of times,

His work process is fine, but I only agreed with the dude in the video from 6.10 onwards that all parts need to be replaced, with the sync hub parts "Sync Cage from the vid- 1 in my photo" being transferred from one hub to another. The transfer of the sync hub parts is not that difficult, all parts come out in one piece, but just keep an eye of the tabs on the springs, both when you are transferring the parts and installing the hub back in the car, I needed to replace the sync hub as my rav was getting stuck in 5th, which was being cause by wear on the outside of the sync hub (1 in the photo).

I found it a really easy job, but then I am happy to drop the engine out to change the flywheel.

I drove the car down through France a couple of days after completion of the job, and pulled a trailer back again. I noticed a whine initially when fifth was engaged, due to new and old gear surfaces mating for the first time. After a couple 1000 Miles the whine is reduced to almost undetectable.

Solid engagement, no vibration, no rattle, no sticking, no problems.

email me if you have questions.

post-86150-0-30107900-1441917783_thumb.j