Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gt86 Queries

speedymurr

The GT86 will apparently not have a rear parking camera. However it will be fitted with the same Toyota "Touch" system as other cars have.

Anyone have any ideas why no camera and know if one can be fitted into the system as a post-delivery add on / modification?

Satnav is available at a £750 option on new. However as the satnav is added to the car only after it has arrived in the UK, can it be added as a post sale modification?

After all the car has the Touch system in all the other models in the Toyota range. My decent TomTom has Google search, live traffic info, full European maps and only cost me a third of that amount. I'd pay maybe £200 for an add on system though.

In spite of its 'Grand Tourer' moniker, GT86 is really a back-to-basic, no frills lightweight sports car. In which case, having a standard factory-fitted rear-view camera on the car would appear to be an overkill and deviates from the purity of concept. IMO. ;)

It's far from a back to basics, stripped out sports car. The basic spec adds kilos all over the place eg climate control, fog lamps, etc.

And as part of that basic spec comes the standard Toyota Touch system. A few hundred grammes for a tiny rear end camera (see models who have them fitted discreetly) and wiring loom. Or an aftermarket download of satnav software. Why doesn't Toyota offer the former and offer the latter at a sensible price?

Curiously, C, Toyota/Subaru is offering "poverty spec" also known as "purist-spec" 86/BRZ in the Japanese domestic market (JDM). These cars come without air conditioning, ICE and wear steelies and unpainted bumpers. I think they are really cool. Like. :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/25155.htm

Yes they might sell if they ever appear in the UK market.

Although the UK market is smaller for major customising, there certainly is a niche market out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked Toyota Technical about the Reversing Camera on the GT86 and they said that Toyota do not offer it because of a technical level rather than keeping within the 'spirit' of the car. Apparently, with regards to the current wiring system it would add too many complications to the application process and the manner in which it would work.

The cost of a usual SatNav System that is not a Touch&Go upgrade is £1,200. So in comparison, £750 isn't that bad.

Sorry must have misread your post. When you said "£750 isn't that bad", I looked at my fully specced TomTom at £250, which I can use in any car, and though THAT aint bad!

£750 for a software download into hardware already installed in the car is bad in anyone's books I'm afraid. Especially as it sits only in that car, and has to be given up when the car is sold.

• 2 weeks later...

When you are comparing it to the previous Satelite Navigation system at the cost of £1,200-£1,700 depending on the vehicle. Then yes, £750 is reasonable in comparision. At the end of the day, weigh up your options, as both the TomTom and the Touch&Go have different functions uses, functions, etc.

I know that I would use all the functions that the Touch&Go system has to offer, if your interested in taking a closer look, call you local dealer and they will go through it all with you. if they don't, let me know and I will run through it all with you.