Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Climate Control Not Blowing Cold

Barnman

My 08 Avensis has the usual dual climate control. It was working fine until last year (Spring 2011) when it would not blow cold.

Air Con Diagnostics mode showed "00" i.e. no fault code.....

Local Toyota dealer simply said it needed re-gassing. This was done and it blew cold for only a few weeks.

Back and forth for new flap valve to be fitted etc. Then they said it needed a new 'heater box' !!

This was done under the Toyota 3 year warranty. It worked fine all of Summer 2011.

Jump forward to Spring this year (2012) and it has started with the same problem all over again.

Have downloaded the info' and codes etc posted by Rossi46 (thanks mate)

It is booked in to the Toyota garage to 'have a look at it' on Monday....

Has anyone else had this problem and how was it fixed?

Cheers,

Dave

It can be a common problem for the seals to "dry out" and the gas escapes. When not inuse the o'rings dry out and shrink slightly. I use my Aircon all year round, (it's great for demisting windows in the cold when set to hot), when in use the circulating gas carries a lubricant that keeps all the seals in tip top condition

Got into my car yesterday and discovered I had the same problem. Strangely, it seems that the passenger side was cooling a little but the drivers wasn't at all. Today even the passenger side wasn't cooling and the temperature of the air coming in the vents was the same as that outside.

I also discovered mine wasn't working a few days ago. A diagnostic check produced code 23 which is pressure sensor circuit. I'm guessing I must have a leak since the system was recharged in March. The garage which did the recharge said that they always do a leak test before recharging the system (legal requirement) so I'm a bit unsure about what has gone wrong. They have told me to bring it back in so they can inspect the system under UV light for leaks. If anyone has had a similar problem resolved, I would be interested to know. I would like to go back to the garage armed with some knowledge before I get charged for any unecessary work.

Thanks guys for the comments so far.......

Yes, I too leave the climate control and A/C on all year round, fully aware of the benefits :flowers:

The trouble is I do not expect to have to have the system recharged every year.

My previous car was a Ford Scorpio Ultima which had icy cold Climate Control. Recharged that only once in 5 years.

Then until recently my wife had a Generation 6 Celica with Climate Control. Similar story with that A/C

Like mwilson my Avensis when loosing its ability to cool, blows colder on the passenger side for a while....

My concerns are that the Toyota garage will keep changing bits until the problems get sorted (like they did last year) :disgust:

Now the 3 year warranty has expired I don't want a big bill for work that doesn't need doing.....

Got mine regassed today, turns out it was empty, to be that low I suspect there is a leak so it is still going into Toyota to be checked. With the gas though it works fine and I could drive in reasonable comfort.

Just in case this helps anyone else, I took my car back to ATS who originally did the recharge. They have found a tiny leak in a pipe towards the front of the engine bay on the right hand (passenger) side. Whilst the black plastic trim was removed, I took a photo of it with my mobile phone. It's not very clear but the leak is in the lower pipe, the one with the 90 degree bend in it. The pipe seems to extend quite away from the front to the rear of the engine bay. Don't yet know how much it will cost to replace.

post-117061-0-09131400-1338100701_thumb.

Just in case this helps anyone else, I took my car back to ATS who originally did the recharge. They have found a tiny leak in a pipe towards the front of the engine bay on the right hand (passenger) side. Whilst the black plastic trim was removed, I took a photo of it with my mobile phone. It's not very clear but the leak is in the lower pipe, the one with the 90 degree bend in it. The pipe seems to extend quite away from the front to the rear of the engine bay. Don't yet know how much it will cost to replace.

post-117061-0-09131400-1338100701_thumb.

Hi plasma99 and other followers of this thread,

my Avensis was in at Toyota today for diagnosis as first posted.....

.....guess what? It's exactly the same problem as reported by plasma99. :dontgetit:

The replacement pipe is now on order. Toyota have quoted me £220.98 inc VAT and regassing etc etc

I said go ahead, at least it will make me smile if it fixes it :flowers:

Now I wonder if this is a common problem with the Avensis?

Watch this space for updates....

Cheers,

Dave

I am repeating this from a previous thread. The problem is the same as plasma99.

When I bought my Avensis the AC was not working. I found a leak on the HP tube between the rad and the bulkhead, it is a common problem the right angle bend under the Battery stresses the pipe and eventually leaks, you can see oil from the refrigerant drip on to the engine undercovers under the Battery, it did cost about €400 to replace. If this is the problem you could put a high pressure compression fitting (elbow) where the leak is.

well Toyota had a look at my aircon today and apparently there are two leaks, one in the HP line and the other in the LP. Despite having it filled last Friday, they said it was nearly empty today. They are fixing it under warranty in a couple of weeks when they get the pipes in. Hoping for a cool couple of weeks.

• Like 1

As an update to my issue, I managed to get hold of the HP tube (part 88716-05550) from my local Toyota dealer for £105 + VAT. I thought the Toyota quote for fitting it was a bit over the top. Thay wanted £200 for labour and this did not include the regassing. ATS fitted it and regassed for £105.

Anyway, it's working now but I am just worried that there may be a general weakness in the air con pipes and further leaks may arise. I just find it strange that a pipe would start leaking on a four year old car.

You have a point Peter, and it could be the same problem with mine as well, since I have brought the car (18months ago) the air con has never worked and its only 6 years old! I had it re-gassed at a Mr T dealership earlier this year thinking that the issue was solved, but trying to use the air con during the few days recently when it was warm, the air was blowing hot, so now its back to Mr T again and I have a feeling that it may be the same issue as with you

I'll go back to the same dealership and see what they say

Thanks for the update...I just hope its not a common issue

• 1 month later...

I had my HP tube replaced, it's a common fault on the right angle bend under the Battery, the pipe is stressed, I am surprised that this is not addressed on later cars, mine is a 2005

• 11 months later...

I have the same problem as well and the pipe is definitely leaking on the hp bend. £100 plus vat for a bit of pipe is a !Removed! liberty, particularly as this is clearly a Toyota design fault.

My 2004 Avensis had a failure in the same pipe.... couple of years ago ... cost me £300ish to get fixed .... but I've had 2 re-gassing since then ....

Just ordered the pipe from Toyota, £101 inc vat. Asked for a quote to fit and was given a figure of £470+(Bromley Toyota). Just for labour!! WTF......

Now trying to find someone who will do it for a sensible price.

Steve

bromley and croydon ones are jokers. they are taking the skin of you too when you go there with a problem

quick fit might do it for little money. give it a try

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links