Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso Colling Fan Not Cutting In

steve_avensis

Hi,

My wife has a 2004 7 seater verso 1.8 vvti. 94k miles. Recently I have done all servicing on it myself.

Yesterday my wife drove home and complained to me of a burning smell.

I took a look and the engine just seemed very hot.

No steam or anything, but I could just tell it was too hot.

The radiator was hot and the fan not running.

I think there is a problem with the fan not coming on, we left he car idling in the sun for a few minutes and the fan still did not come on.

The coolant level is at max.

I've applied 12V directly to trhe fan and it works.

There are no blown fuses.

I've tested fan1 relay by swapping it with the one for the horn.

Of course the verso has no temp guage, so I couldnt tell what the temp was, the red light was not on.

We're not going to drive the car until we have a way to monitor the temperature acuurately - I really don't what to blow the head gasket.

The annoying thing is I have an odb2 cable that I use with my Alfa, but I seem to have lost it ...

I have ordered an odb2 bluetooth adapter, I hope that I can use that with an app on my android phone or my P.C to view the temperature.

If anyone knows, I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know what temperature the fan should come on at ? I'm guessing somewhere near 100degC

2. Where is the coolant temperature sensor located ?

3. Can anyone recommend good diagnostic software for the verso, Ideally I'd like to be able to test the fan operation from within the software (I can do that on my Alfa with Alfadiag)

4. In the fuse box there are relays for fan1 and fan2, does anyone know which fan is which or is it for 2 speeds?

I can answer some of my own questions.

I found a really good 2004 corolla wiring diagram online here: http://www.eservicei...TA_COROLLA.html

It also has pages showing locations of electrical components under the bonnet, including the temp sensor.

I think it should be visible once the engine cover is removed, it is at the gearbox end of the cylinder head.

The fan is indeed 2 speed , the fan2 relay bypasses a resistor to increase the voltage.

The fuse for the fan is 30A labeled RDI and is a weird square thing in the narrow fusebox in the inner wing, it is the same type as for the heater so can swap with that to test.

My ELM327 bluetoooth adapter arrived today, it was very easy to connect to my laptop using scantool.net and also to an android phone using torque lite. Now I can monitor the coolant temp.

I found that after all the reseating of connections that the fan now works (at least on the first speed.)

it cuts in at about 96 degrees C.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links