Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Hilux Mpg Not Getting Anything Like Listed Combined 37

Peregrine falcon

Hi all I've done about 3000 miles in a new 2012 3.0d invinsable the listed mpg is 36.7mpg for combined but even at 60mph I'm only getting 35mpg my combined is on average 29-32mpg if I'm careful and try and be as steady as possible with the pedal and hardly break. Anyone else getting higher mpg. My friend got the Vw amorok and he gets 40mpg cruising at 65mph and 38mpg at 70. Looking at fuelly the Internet site that shows users average mpg the 2012 is on average getting 22-28 max how can they claim 37mpg if you can't get even close.....

• 4 months later...

I am the same, plus lack of torque and BHP. It is the third 3litre that I have had and this one doesn't perform anywhere near the previous ones. I spoke to the dealers and they say that in order to meet the emissions target the engines have been re-tuned resulting in lower torque and BHP but should have a better MPG. However in reality and after 15k miles we are averaging around 23-25mpg and down at 15mpg when towing which is costing a lot of money. Some of this will be down to the driving but in comparison to previous versions with the same drivers, this one is nowhere near what it should be and Toyota don't want to know.

On a separate issue keep an eye on the bolts that hold the hinge stays in place for the rear tailgate. The bolts started to pull out as they were too short which meant the tailgate landed on the bumper and subsequently marked the paint on the tailgate. The bolts are about 5mm too short and they don't have enough thread engagement to position the stays in place and remain tight.

I am a huge fan of hilux's and had various ones since 1999, but with the issues and service quality I can see this being my last.

Torque is a little strangled on the 2012 model

Put a CHIP KIT on it, boost the torque by 90 NM and improve MPG

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The 2012 model is the first time a DPF and associated controls have been fitted to a Hilux
No doubt any teething troubles will be sorted pretty quick.
The Hilux is still the best pickup on the market, its worth having a look on the Amorok forum to see all the issues they`re having.
Not wanting to rub salt into the wound but a gentle driving brim to brim mpg check of my 2.5 came out at 43 (38 litres = 362 miles) using Shell V-Power diesel + Archoil 6200

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget the book figures are not from Toyota but from a lab with very strict guidlines

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I've done about 3000 miles in a new 2012 3.0d invinsable the listed mpg is 36.7mpg for combined but even at 60mph I'm only getting 35mpg my combined is on average 29-32mpg if I'm careful and try and be as steady as possible with the pedal and hardly break. Anyone else getting higher mpg. My friend got the Vw amorok and he gets 40mpg cruising at 65mph and 38mpg at 70. Looking at fuelly the Internet site that shows users average mpg the 2012 is on average getting 22-28 max how can they claim 37mpg if you can't get even close.....

I think I averaged about 31.5mpg over 18 months with my Invincible. I'd always take manufacturers figures with a pinch of salt. Your engine is still new & will ease up with more miles on the clock improving power and mpg, wait till you get around the 10K mark and see what its like then.

I am the same, plus lack of torque and BHP. It is the third 3litre that I have had and this one doesn't perform anywhere near the previous ones. I spoke to the dealers and they say that in order to meet the emissions target the engines have been re-tuned resulting in lower torque and BHP but should have a better MPG. However in reality and after 15k miles we are averaging around 23-25mpg and down at 15mpg when towing which is costing a lot of money. Some of this will be down to the driving but in comparison to previous versions with the same drivers, this one is nowhere near what it should be and Toyota don't want to know.

Vic590 on the HPOC forum had a similar problem, diagnosed as a "tight engine" by the dealer and swapped for another truck

Figures on the Toyota site for the 2012 model are the same as the earlier ones?

• 10 months later...

Hello New Here

Is this expensive diesel worth the extra MPG? Clock inside saying 29.9 MPG but not much data to work on.

Also 2nd Question When on tarmac in 4x4 it is really tight on the full lock / tight turn as much to make me stall.

Is this norm assume on mud it would just churn?

Really like my 2.5 diesel 60 plate.Done 20 000 miles from new when bought £13000 then VAT is that a good price, Clean no sctch dents etc. Double Cab with reverse sensors and American roll top ? Leaks a bit but ha ho

BB

Don`t use the Hilux in 4wd on dry tarmac

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I bought a new Invincible May 2013 and to date my average mpg over 7k totally trouble free miles has been 37.7

Fuelly confirmed

Obviously well pleased and further proof I made the right choice of pickup

Put a CHIP KIT on it, boost the torque by 90 NM and improve MPG

Kingo thumbsup.gif

2010 invincable. 110000 on the clock .. 25mpg when i got it .. fitted one of kingo's boxes and it averages 29-33 mpg around town and on a run sat at 70mph a very respectable 40mpg tested it for 3 months before i commented on here ...very pleased with it and kingo is a real gent to deal with...Had a 07 hilux 2.5 for 4 years average 29mpg ...but very sluggish compared to the new improved one

• 7 months later...

Approaching 13k miles now, engine loosened up beautifully, smooth, quiet and mpg averaging over 38/39 absolutely no problems.

Love it !