Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8Vvti Engine Trbling And Engine Stop Lamp Came On, Urgent Pl

vakouftsis

My avensis 1800 vvti petrol started trembling and after a while engine stop lamp came on and i stopped. What seems to happen was like the car was running with three sparks. So i cleaned the spark plug harneses but nothing.Another thing that ive seen is that the whole exhaust trembles.Did anyone experienced something similar? Please help.

Hi re your problem, for the 2nd time in 2 years i am having to put my Avensis into the hands of the local Toyota garage.

Your symtems sound the same as mine,called the AA out and he informed me that No 3 cylinder pressure was very low

and the valve spring could be a problem as well.Last time 2years ago it cost me £800 but toyota contributed £200 as a goog will gesture,with 40k on the clock now with 62k the same again and it could be another £800.Apart from these problems she has been a good old girl [ the car] but thinking twice about buying another toyota.

regards

feed up john

• 2 weeks later...

I would be 90% sure it is only a coil gone,leave your engine tick over a disconnect 1 coil at a time (on top of the spark plug 3 wires) disconnect 1 at a time, if the engine cuts out then that coil is fine,if there is no change then that is the cylinder in trouble, so then change that coil with another cylinder and try again. if the problem moves to the other cylinder then your coil is in trouble,if the problem stays in the same cylinder then the cylinder is in trouble. it should only be the coil so if it is replace just the 1,even if they tell you you have to replace all four but that is a waste of money but do replace all four spark plugs while you are at it

I would be 90% sure it is only a coil gone,leave your engine tick over a disconnect 1 coil at a time (on top of the spark plug 3 wires) disconnect 1 at a time, if the engine cuts out then that coil is fine,if there is no change then that is the cylinder in trouble, so then change that coil with another cylinder and try again. if the problem moves to the other cylinder then your coil is in trouble,if the problem stays in the same cylinder then the cylinder is in trouble. it should only be the coil so if it is replace just the 1,even if they tell you you have to replace all four but that is a waste of money but do replace all four spark plugs while you are at it

That's what I think eno, EXCEPT that the coils are paired and if you unplug one coil it's partner stops firing too! Unplug the injector wires instead and then only one cylinder at a time is affected! I've had to replace 2 coils now (not bad for a ten year old car) and I got my replacements off eBay for £11.99 inc p&p! ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links