Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 T Spirit Rear Hatch Not Opening

LUCKY SEVENS

Hi all,

I have a 2004 D4D ( D-Cat ) T Spirit for the past 6 years with trouble free miles plus great economy. Hence reason for keeping so long. Just turned 100.000 miles yesterday !

First problem in my ownership is the rear hatch will not open.

This has been an intermittant fault for past few months which i got round by pressing on the opening button between the number plate lamps a littlt bit firmer, plus oiled all parts of mechanism.

This tactic is now not successful anymore though did work for the last time this AM when i decided to repair the problem.

I truly believe the fault lies with the finger press button as opposed to the latch itself.

Today i removed the rubber cover above numberplate to reveal a white (ish) rail that pushes up into its housing to make an electrical contact.

I carefully removed this inner part to find it contains a fine steel cross rail which apparently when offered up forms the cross contact to open the rear hatch.

As there 'appeared' to be nothing amiss with this i replaced it from where removed.

I have oiled every possible link and area relating to the opening mechanism without any benefit.

Hatch is now refusing to open despite my best efforts.

Note. when trying to open the hatch i frequently use the key remote to ensure it has not self locked.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Went back to try opening rear hatch and door release opened the latch to only the first phase, ie hatch is still closed down but now it is possible for me to push the door with about 10 ml. of movement to try and get it to fasten down tight.

Bit like a car door closeing over and fastened closed yet not fully closed tight.

Hope this makes sense.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links