Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi All, New Member, Looking For Tech Info

steve vvti

Hi everyone, just joined up to pick the brains of the more knowledgeable members. Im going trawling but these are my questions anyway.

2001 Avensis 1.8VVTI rattles on cold startups? Soon as it fires up its gone but is this a characteristic of this engine or a warning of looming trouble?

Also does anyone know for SURE if the rear bumper on the 2000/2002 saloon and estate are different or the same?

Welcome in to the club Steve, is the sound/rattle towards the top or bottom of the engine ?

Really difficult to say but id go with top end. The motor has cover 70k doesnt burn a drop of oil and runs smooth no issues, are the chain tensioners oil pressure dependant?

Moved to Avensis Forums

Well 2001 avensis is a cool car, Welcome most in this forum, Hope you can have a great time here.

I find the Avensis a great drive but ive got some work to do. The below is a cut and paste from my other thread, I need a gearbox!!

Ok found one problem just as another worse one has come along, looks like Ive got a few jobs to do that I didn't expect. The belt tensioner is making the rattle at startup, its started to get a bit worse and so I started looking harder for the source. Rev the engine and its gone but at idle Ive got a slow thruming rythmic noise, its the pulley bearings on the tensioner. My bro went old school and started prodding about listening to a screwdiver placed on engine components, front part of engine loud! Popped off the belt and the pulley is not far off parting with the rest of the engine, easy fix change the tensioner.

Now the not so easy bit, there has been a very faint whine. With the engine/ transmission under load it is more noticeable still faint but Its started to bother me as to what the hell it was. Its not road speed related or doesnt seem to be, dip the clutch or back off the power and its goes away. It rises with engine speed and drops in pitch as you change up each gear. We jacked the car up, one front wheel clear of the ground at a time, spun the wheels and tried going through the gears with the engine running. Sounds like a bearing or something worse is stuffed in the gearbox, I was leaning towards the gearbox input shaft bearing but now Im thinking it could be the diff as spinning one wheel with it out of gear makes a nasty sound to. Anyway the box has got to come out again! Ive not long put a clutch in it, so Im going to try and find a box to drop in rather than stripping the one I have. I'll pull it apart and see whats failed some other time.

I find the Avensis a great drive but ive got some work to do. The below is a cut and paste from my other thread, I need a gearbox!!

Ok found one problem just as another worse one has come along, looks like Ive got a few jobs to do that I didn't expect. The belt tensioner is making the rattle at startup, its started to get a bit worse and so I started looking harder for the source. Rev the engine and its gone but at idle Ive got a slow thruming rythmic noise, its the pulley bearings on the tensioner. My bro went old school and started prodding about listening to a screwdiver placed on engine components, front part of engine loud! Popped off the belt and the pulley is not far off parting with the rest of the engine, easy fix change the tensioner.

Now the not so easy bit, there has been a very faint whine. With the engine/ transmission under load it is more noticeable still faint but Its started to bother me as to what the hell it was. Its not road speed related or doesnt seem to be, dip the clutch or back off the power and its goes away. It rises with engine speed and drops in pitch as you change up each gear. We jacked the car up, one front wheel clear of the ground at a time, spun the wheels and tried going through the gears with the engine running. Sounds like a bearing or something worse is stuffed in the gearbox, I was leaning towards the gearbox input shaft bearing but now Im thinking it could be the diff as spinning one wheel with it out of gear makes a nasty sound to. Anyway the box has got to come out again! Ive not long put a clutch in it, so Im going to try and find a box to drop in rather than stripping the one I have. I'll pull it apart and see whats failed some other time.

PS Thanks for the welcome all ;o)

PS Thanks for the welcome all ;o)

Is the noise the same with the left wheel off the ground as it is with the right wheel off the ground?