Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Warning Light Illuminated

lavo01

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I have this problem with my Avensis 1.8GS 2001 reg. I recently had my car laid up for a few weeks. All was fine when I parked it on my drive. When I came to reinstate the car, the oil warning light was illuminated. I checked my oil having changed the oil about 1500miles ago and found that the car was in fact still up to the maximum mark on the dipstick. I have driven around now, maybe 100miles or so and the light is still lit. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening please.

Thanking you in anticipation. Cheers

Not familiar with your model but an oil warning light is either for low level or pressure. If it is for the latter then you should not run the engine until you are sure it is not just a faulty sensor as low oil pressure can cause irreparable damage.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I have this problem with my Avensis 1.8GS 2001 reg. I recently had my car laid up for a few weeks. All was fine when I parked it on my drive. When I came to reinstate the car, the oil warning light was illuminated. I checked my oil having changed the oil about 1500miles ago and found that the car was in fact still up to the maximum mark on the dipstick. I have driven around now, maybe 100miles or so and the light is still lit. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening please.

Thanking you in anticipation. Cheers

Hello mate, whilst I agree with Whitewagon the problem may just be a stuck oil pressure switch, when you turn on the ignition the oil warning light has a positive feed sent to the bulb which is earthed through the oil pressure switch so the bulb lights up. When engine starts and the oil pump sends oil pressure around the engine it is also fed to the pressure switch, this pressure breaks the contacts inside the switch and so the light goes out on your dashboard. There can be many reasons for the pressure not building up from the likes of no oil, worn oil pump, blocked oil pickup pipe screen, worn bearings etc etc BUT it could just be a faulty switch and only a very brave or foolish man (no offence intended) would drive round thinking this is the problem. I can't stress enough that you need to get the switch changed and have a garage attach a pressure guage where the oil pressure switch fits to give you peace of mind, DO NOT drive the car until this is done.

Regards and good luck .... Pete.

Thanks for thje reply guys and no offence taken Pete. I've been around cars long enough to know that the light is worked by oil pressure and I didn't even give this a thought so right now to be honest, I do feel foolish. I'll take it in and get it looked at right away. Thanks again.

Just a quick update on this one. I have taken the car to a very nearby garage and have had it checked out. It appears that the problem was the pick up pipe was blocked with no other appatrent damage. This is now sorted and I know I have been very lucky that no permanent damage was caused. I hope this serves as a warning to other foolish people who drive around with their oil warning light illuminated. Get it looked at immediately and do not drive it until it is checked out.

Thanks for the help.

Dave.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links