• 4 posts
  • First Name:phil
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Avensis
  • Year: 2007

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Can anyone help?

I've an Avensis estate, 2.0D4D. 57 plate, 85000 miles

the temparature guage has started rising, mainly whilst on the motorway. Another symptom is that it takes a while for warm air to come through the vents, even when the guage is in it's normal half way state. Then it will come through warm and stay warm. I had a head gasket go on another car and I remember steam coming from the exhaust. I've checked the exhaust and it seems fine.

I'd really appreciate some advice

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 dervdave

dervdave

The biggest Victor Meldrew

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • First Name:Dave
  • Toyota Model: Hilux 3.0d Invincible D/Cab
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

I`d bang in a new thermostat :yes:

#3 Heidfirst

Heidfirst

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,672 posts
  • First Name:Scott
  • Toyota Model: Avensis Tourer 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit
  • Year: 2012

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

is the coolant level dropping at all?

#4 Pricey74

Pricey74

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Took it to Toyota today. It's the head gasket. They told me that it went two years ago (66.000 miles) and had been repaired before I bought it.

They are keeping hold of it while they ponder what to do next.....Gutted!

#5 Pricey74

Pricey74

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

is the coolant level dropping at all?

Yes it was very low.

#6 dervdave

dervdave

• Registered Member
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Took it to Toyota today. It's the head gasket. They told me that it went two years ago (66.000 miles) and had been repaired before I bought it.

They are keeping hold of it while they ponder what to do next.....Gutted!

Hard to bear, like you I hoped it wasn`t going to be that !

#7 Pricey74

Pricey74

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

Spoke to Toyota today. They are completely replacing the engine for me. Free of charge.

A happy ending. Thanks for your advice too.

#8 dervdave

dervdave

• Registered Member
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Spoke to Toyota today. They are completely replacing the engine for me. Free of charge.

A happy ending. Thanks for your advice too.

Good news Phil, betcha pleased you bought a Toyota :D

#9 Karda

Karda

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts
  • First Name:Karda
  • Toyota Model: Toyota

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi people,

My Lexus IS220d has the same Avensis / Rav4 engine as reported above. I was hoping someone could help me with my issue. As experienced by many others, I started getting the temp gauge shooting up to maximum and then coming back down. The car wasn't overheating as such, but coolant was overflowing from the radiator.

Anyway, I rang Lexus Birmingham, who were very helpful and asked me to drop it in as it may be the head gasket. My car has done 108k and is just under 5 years old. They gave me a courtesy car (THANK YOU) and got onto diagnosis. It is in fact the head gasket which has gone and ordinarily would be covered under the extended warranty which a lot of us know about (for others: Lexus extended their standard warranty to 110k / 7 years due to head gasket issues). HOWEVER, it turns out that the head gasket had already been replaced in my car at 60k miles. They rang me up and said that as such, it is no longer covered under the extended warranty because the issue had been addressed at 60k. I am trying to look at this with reason and can see their point. However, my question is how long should their repair (at 60k) be expected to last and of course, if the same issue materialises again (within the extended warranty period), should they not take ownership of this specific issue?

They got back to me today after speaking with Lexus/Toyota and said that they won't contribute to the repair at all. The key reasons being that 1) The Head Gasket has already been replaced and 2) Although it has full service history, it's not dealer servicing.

I've read some excellent customer service comments about various dealerships and would hope that I can report another soon but I wonder where I technically stand if they don't cover it? Although the repair was done at 60k, it has happened again and surely, if it's within the the extended warranty period, they should attend to it??? Obviously, its may bank account at stake here, so I'll by default be partial but hope some of you guys out there can help me with advice, thoughts and even more welcome would be any similar experience where the head has gone twice within the extended warranty period?

#10 Heidfirst

Heidfirst

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,672 posts
  • First Name:Scott
  • Toyota Model: Avensis Tourer 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit
  • Year: 2012

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

if you search the Avensis & RAV forums you'll find that several people have had 2 or even 3 engines (not just gaskets) replaced.
The 2nd gasket on your car lasted 48k v the 60k on the original - perhaps the work was not done properly or the block had some damage?
(iirc Toyota switched to replacing engines rather than gaskets because work wasn't being done to standard in some cases albeit this policy may have changed again more recently)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users