Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daylight Running Lights

driverandrews

Has anyone fitted led drl's to their gen2? If so, where did you get them and how did you connect them?

Any help gratefully received.

Hi

I have installed this

Philips DRL LED Daylight 4 Running Lights LED Daytime

Got them from Amazon .de for around 60 pounds.

http://www.amazon.de...ils_o00_s00_i00

They connect to + on Battery and to the ground point.

You will need to cut the lower radiator grill a bit.

Andy

I would suggest you ALL inform your insurers as it's a modification to your car from 'standard'.

Yes it is a positive modification but a modification it still is. They are more than likely to just note their records but you still need to tell them. If they just say yes it's cool, then you have nothing to worry about, but you don't want them kicking out a claim at some later date because using non notification as an excuse.

I know I'm wasting my breath here but at least I've told you all.

I hear you Grumpy!..my GenIII came with additional reversing warning device, I happen to mention this to Insurance and they said it was not a 'standard' fitting it was recorded on the papers and at this time have not had to pay additional premium.....wait see what they do next time!!

Thanks fellas.

It would be a great help Andy if you could supply pics and instructions and I'd be really grateful.

As regards informing the insurance co. Duly noted Grumpy and it will be done.

Hi guys

Thanks for that Andy. It was very good of you to take the time and trouble to do this and I appreciate it.

somehow i think this is a bad idea, it'd look kinda odd and, forgive me, stupid on the old gen 2.

somehow i think this is a bad idea, it'd look kinda odd and, forgive me, stupid on the old gen 2.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

i guess. but whenever i see these on cars like fiestas and corsas, i thought they look a bit rubbish if i am honest. please post a pic of it with it on, i'd love to see how it looks.

Hi ph47mf

I installed DLR to improve car’s visibility, especially because my wife drives it with the baby now.

Andy

We managed for decades without them. We have one of the lowest accident and death rates in the World, so why introduce them now? They're too bright on overcast days and personally think they're more of a hindrance than benefit but time will tell.

They're not required in America because it was proved that they make no difference! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp#United_States

There is evidence they're too bright and after market kits vary widely too. I bet there'll be a time when people start using the brightness of the DRL's as a reason to sue after accidents; hence it being prudent to tell your insurers if you fit aftermarket versions. You don't want a big law suit only to find your insurers use your dodgy drl's as a great excuse to withdraw full cover. Get it in writing!

Cant stand the things, they have an "aftermarket" look about them, sort of stuck on, even when factory fitted

Why are they so bright? Nothing more aggresive looking than some Audi driver up yer chuff with those things on, here is what the DFT say

Research has shown that DRLs are likely to reduce multiple vehicle daytime accidents and fatalities by up to 6% once all vehicles are equipped. DRL are likely to result in a small increase in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of around 0.5% but this is expected to be lower when LEDs are used in place of filament light sources

How they can say it will reduce fatalities by 6% I have no idea, I think it causes even more aggressive driving, especially from the younger set who bang on the cheapest set he can find from fleabay, regardless of the legal requirements

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi ph47mf I installed DLR to improve car’s visibility, especially because my wife drives it with the baby now. Andy

i understand. i guess it's personal perference but i do not want people to look at my prius as a poor man's audi. it makes the car look cheap unless it's factory installed. if others cannot see you and your car in broad daylight when you havent those DLR on then frankly they shouldnt be on the road.