Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4D 2004 Hho (Hydrogen Fuel Cell) System ?

mrcolin69

I thought I'd let you guys know what I'm trying out.

A hydrogen fuel cell on my Avensis D4D 2004 T-Spirit 2.0 Turbo diesel. 126,000 on the clock with full service history.

At the moment I'm getting 38 - 41 mpg. ( I find 60 mph a little boring ! Ha Ha ) Tyres are Goodyear Efficiencey 215 x 50 x 17. ( should have 45's on as standard but due to my job I like the 50's on, easier on speed bumps )

Right,

Thats all the bumpff out the way.

I bought this system from America, It's pretty neat & tidy. And best of all, it's small ! Compared to the other units I've read about & seen.

I'm going to ad links & stuff but I'm not to hot with a laptop ! Ha Ha

http://globalenergyd...s.com/index.php

Just incase you think I'm promoting them, I'M NOT !

I'm just a customer. Watch your ***** for the parcelforce charge & customs charges. I got bumped out of £52.00 ! NOT IMPRESSED LIKE !

Anyway ! I've got it now !

Have a look though coz it looks a good system with a 5 year Gaurentee ? Mmmmmmm ! You never know though !

Mines is half fitted just now ! I waiting on a mate to wire up the relays & stuff although I'm going to have a blast at it myself as the wiring is so simple.

Honestly, if I'm thinking of doing it, it needs to be pretty easy.....

I'll upload a couple of recent diesel reciepts so you can work out my mpg incase I've not done my sums correct. Ha Ha

I'd be interested to know if any of you guys have tried it or have any ( sensible suggestions ) ?

Don't bother if your just going to take the *****, I'm trying it out either way !

I'll put an update with pictures of wiring, just incase anybody else wants to know how I done it.

The only extras you will need if your'e trying it my way will be a piece of sturdy galv sheet or similar. About 18" x 6" to make a little bracket (Front Grill). And a little support bracket for the big white bottle (front grill). You'll also need 5 or 6 self tappers. ( I did )

I also bought a combi amp/voltmeter off eBay for £15.00

If you want to know anything, just give me a shout. I'll pop on every couple of days.

post-110440-0-63251500-1340068992_thumb.

post-110440-0-47889600-1340069037_thumb.

post-110440-0-25965200-1340069071_thumb.

post-110440-0-31997200-1340069101_thumb.

post-110440-0-02172800-1340069128_thumb.

post-110440-0-71478600-1340069160_thumb.

post-110440-0-76346300-1340069192_thumb.

post-110440-0-74440200-1340069223_thumb.

post-110440-0-78253500-1340069253_thumb.

post-110440-0-98207700-1340069283_thumb.

post-110440-0-67908900-1340069310_thumb.

post-110440-0-19291200-1340069339_thumb.

post-110440-0-39611000-1340069361_thumb.

post-110440-0-17203800-1340069388_thumb.

post-110440-0-58644400-1340070694_thumb.

post-110440-0-97422200-1340072444_thumb.

Good luck.. it will be realy interesting to get feedback. Strange, this hho system is known for decade, but.. i haven't seen anyone using it, even taxis. Why? Maybe because you will get water in your exhaust, and it will corode faster. Maybe if you get your water into oil, you will change your engine. Or maybe system is just not efective, becaise generating h you need lots of electricity. I am realy waiting for your experience. Good luck

Hello mate,

yes I for one will be very interested to hear how you get on. There is a company local to me who fits a similar system and charge £300.00 per unit fitted, one unit per 1000cc of engine capacity so 2 units for a 2 ltr diesel. The theory sounds good and I have done lot of reading up on the subject, tempted but not convinced due th the heavy load it puts on the alternator which uses extra fuel and as the other reply says taxi drivers and white van men would all have it but .... like I say I am genuinely interested and hopeful for a positive outcome for you.

Regards ... Pete. :thumbsup:

one more thing forgot to mention - using hho system you need to change o2 sensor values. Additional h2o in exaust will make ECU to correct fuel mixture - it will think your engine is running on a leaner mixture. It means, ECU supplies more fuel to burn, and you will have something else but not savings anymore.. Well, if installations are correct ( i think o2 sensor emulation should be done), maybe everything should be fine. but in this case you have to look at your mpg everytime for possible problems while ECU won't see real o2 measurements.

• 1 year later...

Hi Mate, how did the project go in the end? Thinking of trying it on my 2003 corolla D4D

What happens in winter when the water freezes does it still work !

• 2 years later...

Sorry to everyone that I didnt post any replies but I kind of got wrapped up in it all & forgot I'd posted it on here.

If any one still cares, or tried it themselves, It was good for 18 months or so, then the wires started corroding & it got to be a bit of a pain in the **** to keep checking the levels, but if you can be bothered to mess on with it, give it a go. I got around 5 mpg increase around town driving & 14 ish mpg on a steady run doing 60 & driving like a pansy. Thats about the best I got.

Anyway, I ended up hitting a deer, had minor front end damage but not yet fixed, still starts & works, engine is sweet, I've got the bumper in my garage. Got other toys at the moment,,, discovery & a 150 bhp diesel saab, :yahoo: ha ha,,, it.s a bit quick after driving the avensis !

Cheers,

Colin.

If you are not using the car, you might as well sell it!

I wonder if a certain owner on here (not me), would buy it?

Sorry to everyone that I didnt post any replies but I kind of got wrapped up in it all & forgot I'd posted it on here.

If any one still cares, or tried it themselves, It was good for 18 months or so, then the wires started corroding & it got to be a bit of a pain in the **** to keep checking the levels, but if you can be bothered to mess on with it, give it a go. I got around 5 mpg increase around town driving & 14 ish mpg on a steady run doing 60 & driving like a pansy. Thats about the best I got.

Anyway, I ended up hitting a deer, had minor front end damage but not yet fixed, still starts & works, engine is sweet, I've got the bumper in my garage. Got other toys at the moment,,, discovery & a 150 bhp diesel saab, :yahoo: ha ha,,, it.s a bit quick after driving the avensis !

Cheers,

Colin.

if that's your car in the profile picture there is a blue one in stanley in kb autospares if you need blue parts.

if its the z19dth engine in the saab it is a powerful unit to drive but gives alot of problems with being fiat designed it also shares parts with the vauxhall vectra. I think with the avensis having lower power output makes it reliable, another reliable model recommended by taxi drivers would be the octavia 1.9 which only has 105 bhp.

Konrad I take it that other member is me. I already have a 'spares' car which still has loads of bits. but thanks for the mention.

I'd be wary of a hydrogen system being added to the combustion chamber. On very, very basic chemistry when you burn hydrocarbon fuel the carbon combines with the oxygen to form carbon monoxide and the hydrogen combines with oxygen to produce H2O (water). I remember when they announced steam injection into the manifold was the Next Big Thing in fuel economy for petrol engines but what they ended up with was excess H2O beiing developed in the combustion chamber and aluminium pistons and cylinder heads being corroded away.

I'd be happy to be corrected if I'm totally wrong but you never get something for nothing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links