Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Warning Lights ?

LUCKY SEVENS

Hi all,

Problem with my o4 Avensis D4D T Spirit. ( just turned 100k careful miles ).

When i start the car all dash lights go out as per usual BUT as soon i press the brake pedal down with braking pressure ie stop for traffic at junctions the Traction, ABS,VSC lights come on and stay on.

I am just back from across town purposely using only light brake pedal pressure and the warning lights did not come on. When i arrived back at my house i braked more sharply and same warning lights came back on and stayed on until i switched the car off. Upon restart they all went out as they should, ( until i braked firmly again).

No work or changes have been done recently to associate with problem.

I do believe, might be wrong, the foot brake is not quite as firm / hard as had been.

With car stationary and engine running the brake pedal will slowly go to the floor when pressure is maintained.

This also causes the warning lights to come on.

From memory i think this may be normal practice, i stand to be corrected.

Normal pedal height it is regained without having to do any pumping of the pedal.

Could this be related to the warning light issue ?

ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT. I now have no brake lights at all ?

Is this connected to original points above ?

Brake fluid is overdue a change, should it matter?

Car drives and brakes fine though no aggressive braking does be done.

Shall appreciate any responses and shall add more info if requested.

Thanks in advance.

Eugene.

Change the brake fluid which will bleed the system and remove any air. I would suggest this as a starting point. Your calipers may be sticking which would require a strip down and some tlc

If bleeding the brakes doesn't fix the problem, get your brake flexi hoses checked. I've had older cars where the internal structure of the flexi hose breaks down and causes similar mechanical symptoms.

Many thanks guys for your responses. Much appreciated.

I shall have all hoses changed when changing the brake fluid.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Guys, just an update.

I have now purchased a full set of braided stainless steel hoses for my Avensis.

Shall have them fitted next week.

NEW DEVELOPMENT. All the brake lights have now failed to come on when braking.

Is this a related development to the dash light issue or should i be looking at / replacing something else ?

I shall post results when hoses and brake fluid is changed to hopefully assist others with this problem.

Hi Guys, just an update.

I have now purchased a full set of braided stainless steel hoses for my Avensis.

NEW DEVELOPMENT. All the brakes have now failed to come when braking.

Is this a related development to the dash light issue or should i be looking at / replacing something else.

I shall post results when hoses and brake fluid is changed to hopefully assist others with this problem.

Hi Guys, just an update.

NEW DEVELOPMENT. All the brake lights have now failed to come when braking.

Is this a related development to the dash light issue or should i be looking at / replacing something else.

RESULT !

After having all my brake lights non functioning, today i checked all bulbs to find no problem with any of them.

Next i went to the lengthy process of checking all the fuses as i could find no fuse identification listing in my owners manual.

I eventually found, on the last bank of four fuse sites to test, a blown fuse.

This was found on the bank of fuses to the left of the glove box after its lid was removed. It is the bottom right fuse.

For anyone else who has their Avensis dash warning lights coming on and staying on do check if all your brake lights are not working as mine.

It just may be a cheap D.I.Y. 20 p fix.

Hope this helps.

B.T.W.

I shall be having all my brake hoses and brake fluid changed this week apart from sourcing the dash warning lights problem.

Eugene.