Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Down But No Engine Start

Daddy Bob

An intermittent problem. During routine engine start up, I'll depress the clutch to get the green ignition light on, press the start button, all the normal dashboard lights come on but absolutely nothing from the engine; the green ignition light just flashes on and off. The Battery is fine. The next day or a while later, the car will start without a problem. There are no problems once the car has started.

The local Toyota garage changed the electronic control module (ecm) last week, at some considerable cost, after detecting a B2799 fault code but the same problem occured at start up the following day. The AA came and couldn't start it either; no fault code detected, so towed the car back to the Toyota garage. It starts first time, of course, at the garage and subsequent tests show no problems. The garage are replacing a detector in the clutch mechanism, foc, just as a precaution and are hoping that this will sort the intermittent starting fault. Fingers crossed. Any thoughts gratefully received.

An intermittent problem. During routine engine start up, I'll depress the clutch to get the green ignition light on, press the start button, all the normal dashboard lights come on but absolutely nothing from the engine; the green ignition light just flashes on and off. The battery is fine. The next day or a while later, the car will start without a problem. There are no problems once the car has started.

The local Toyota garage changed the electronic control module (ecm) last week, at some considerable cost, after detecting a B2799 fault code but the same problem occured at start up the following day. The AA came and couldn't start it either; no fault code detected, so towed the car back to the Toyota garage. It starts first time, of course, at the garage and subsequent tests show no problems. The garage are replacing a detector in the clutch mechanism, foc, just as a precaution and are hoping that this will sort the intermittent starting fault. Fingers crossed. Any thoughts gratefully received.

The Verso is the 1st car I`ve had with this `feature` and wouldn`t have a clue where to start if there was a problem other than ring the dealer ! :D

At first I would try to bypass the switch at the clutch pedal. Pull of the connector from the switch and make a jumper by a small piece of wire. On my car, I had the similar issue. Now You should be able to start the car even without the clutch. But remember to put the gear lever in neutral!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Had the same issue with a green flashing start light and the engine not starting. Turns out it is the electronic steering lock that prevents the engine from starting.

If the lock is on hard (e.g. steering wheel will not turn in one direction when locked), when you put the key in and switch the ignition on, you hear the lock release. Just give the wheel a quick wiggle to ensure it is free and then try and start the engine.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/10/2016 at 1:59 PM, Wirral Hammer said:

Had the same issue with a green flashing start light and the engine not starting. Turns out it is the electronic steering lock that prevents the engine from starting.

If the lock is on hard (e.g. steering wheel will not turn in one direction when locked), when you put the key in and switch the ignition on, you hear the lock release. Just give the wheel a quick wiggle to ensure it is free and then try and start the engine.

Hi i have a 2006 Toyota Corolla verso petrol when I put the key in press the clutch then press the stop start button the ignition lights just flash on for a split second and go off again car won't start cant understand what is wrong any help is greatly appreciated thanks 

If you are using the button, where do you put the key then?

Is it green before you try to start? Is there some tiny click maybe? If the Battery is dead, it will just click, and turn off.

Check the voltage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links