Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2.2 D-4D T180 - Head Gasket

Chris_munday

Which Auris do you have? The head gasket issue only affects the 2.0 litre D4D (1AD engine) and the 2.2 litre D4D (2AD) built between Sept 2006 and Sept 2009 - see:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

When was your car first registered? How many miles has it done?

The goodwill period that Toyota has been using for these engines is 7 years or 111,846 miles, whichever occurs first. So if your car has either done more than this mileage or is over seven years old (which being a 2008 model it could be), then you will be outside the goodwill period for repairs.

Servicing should be every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first - does your car's service history adhere to this schedule? If the service history doesn't adhere to this schedule, the chances of goodwill being offered is slim, whether the car is still within the goodwill period or not.

"I got a phone call yesterday saying they are fitting a new engine and I can have my clutch done for £300 as labour is already covered. Well pleased, thank you!"

Wow, it just me but that's a lot for a clutch, without labour...

D.

• Like 1

they are replacing the engine in a 2015 1.6 Auris?

they are replacing the engine in a 2015 1.6 Auris?

No I was attempting to quote a previous post about a replacement clutch. :ermm:

Ah, OK. Yeah, the quote system on here I find flaky too if you try editing the quote down to a smaller section.

• 7 months later...

I bought a auris 180 d cat from 5000 miles old. (I should have known then) I did the checks mileage and finance. However since I bought this car I haver had nothing but trouble with. Of hand it has had an EGR valve cleaned / replaced numerous times.

I was then told it needed a new engine which was replaced approximately two and half years ago. Still had problems with the EGR valve. Finally last week it ended up losing power again.

This time I am told the head gasket has gone and there was only a 12month warranty on the replacement engine. Toyota now want to charge me £1300 plus to replace the engine. I believe my local Toyota dealer is attempting to negotiate with Toyota direct, however I would appreciate other views on this.

In my opinion this car should have never been made as it is clearly not fit for propose, given the amount of mechanical attention it has needed, oh it only done about 65, 000 original miles, on the new so called engine probably half of this 30,000.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and in anticipation of any response thank you.

Toyota covered the oil consumption/head gasket issues with the AD series engines by offering a goodwill warranty for a period of 7 years/111,846 miles, whichever occurs first. See. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Which is more generous than the majority of manufacturers would offer.

It would be difficult to substantiate that the car is 'not fit for purpose', given the fact you've owned the car for around 7 years and coverd 60,000 miles.

"This time I am told the head gasket has gone and there was only a 12month warranty on the replacement engine. Toyota now want to charge me £1300 plus to replace the engine. I believe my local Toyota dealer is attempting to negotiate with Toyota direct, however I would appreciate other views on this."

£1300 for a replacement engine would be a bargain as it should be £4.5-6k depending if exchange/new & exactly what is changed.

"In my opinion this car should have never been made as it is clearly not fit for propose, given the amount of mechanical attention it has needed, oh it only done about 65, 000 original miles, on the new so called engine probably half of this 30,000."

To the best of our knowledge (but only Toyota know for sure) under 5% of these engines in the UK experience head/head-gasket failure. Potentially fuel quality, the type of driving done & maintenance may have an influence. Maybe it wasn't the right car choice for your typical driving (we don't know what that is) but there are also many BMW, Fords, Vauxhalls etc. with known serious potential engine problems (not surprisingly they tend to be turbo-diesels) so you may have experienced something similar if you had chosen 1 of those. & as Frosty says you probably wouldn't have had the goodwill from those manufacturers that you have had/may have with Toyota.