Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help - Rav4 Engine "knocking" (2001 2.0Vvti Auto)

mark_le_b

Dear all

Any suggestions as to the cause of the above??

2001 Rav4 2.0 VVTI Auto 67k miles has what best described as a knocking from engine, noticable on idle - seems to go away when driving (or I can't hear it) - did notice quite bad when going very slowly under heavy load on a very steep hill at week-end, but that seemed more of a rattle than a knock.............or, thats another seperate issue!

If I were to try and pin point the knock I would have said left side of the motor as you look at it - but this may be wrong!?

Seems to be there all the time warm or hot.

Any thoughts what to look at first before I head off to dealer??

Thanks

Mark.

Mark

hi

have it youtubed here

it is hard to catch your point of view -- there are a lot of other noises live.

cheers / Igor

Mark

hi

have it youtubed here

it is hard to catch your point of view -- there are a lot of other noises live.

cheers / Igor

Will do, wont drive it and will get done at week-end

Thanks

Dear all

2001 Rav4 2.0 VVTI Auto 67k miles has what best described as a knocking from engine, noticable on idle - seems to go away when driving (or I can't hear it) - did notice quite bad when going very slowly under heavy load on a very steep hill at week-end, but that seemed more of a rattle than a knock.............or, thats another seperate issue!

If I were to try and pin point the knock I would have said left side of the motor as you look at it - but this may be wrong!?

Thanks

Mark.

let me know when you find answer i have simular thing like a clunking sound cant pinpoint it but have noticed does not do it in 4 wheel drive for some reason is it same with yours ?

Dear all

Thanks

Mark.

let me know when you find answer i have simular thing like a clunking sound cant pinpoint it but have noticed does not do it in 4 wheel drive for some reason is it same with yours ?

I will let you know what I find, but don't know if it will the the same thing as mine is perm 4 WD.

Will post again when I get some clues

• 8 months later...

Re-starting an old thread!

never did get around to having this looked at because its not really been driven - but noise it still there and probably worse.

Somebody I was speaking to, thought maybe it was a really knackered water pump??

Does anybody know what these sound like when they are gone.....or, have a sound file/youtube link I can compare to?

Is it worth me slipping the belt off and running for a moment without belt so pump isn't being driven to check??

Thanks

Re-starting an old thread!

never did get around to having this looked at because its not really been driven - but noise it still there and probably worse.

Somebody I was speaking to, thought maybe it was a really knackered water pump??

Does anybody know what these sound like when they are gone.....or, have a sound file/youtube link I can compare to?

Is it worth me slipping the belt off and running for a moment without belt so pump isn't being driven to check??

Thanks

I'm no expert, Mark, but I don't think it is a simple job to "slip the belt off" like you would have done on an older vehicle. The water pump and several other ancillaries are driven by quite a sophisticated serpentine belt that is rather complicated to fit. Ours broke once and it brought the car to a halt for a couple of days until Mr.T could order and fit a new one.

But I'm sure one of the chaps with more mechanical nous than me will be along shortly to advise you. Good luck.

Hi

Thanks, yeah I know they're not all that easy as have done one on a friends car - but as the belt needs changing, though it woiuld be a good way to check if the water pump is the culprit of the noise - as it won't be turning when I take the serpentine off....and briefly start the car.

Bit of luck some others will pick up the thread with more thoughts :-)

Cheers

Mark, have you tried the 'screwdriver stethescope' to narrow down the location of the rattle/knocking?

Hi

Yes tried, I think its serpentine belt side - lower down........I heard one sound clip that sounded the same and that said water pump (knackered bearing), which why I thought as I've got to change the belt anyway, I take the old belt off and start car to see if noise is gone when pump not spinning.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved..............turned out to be the water pump.

Took off belt which needed changing anyway to check the noise and it was gone.

Changed the pump, not the easiest thing to get to, but its all done and no more clanking!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links