•  

Show
Photo
- - - - -

What Does That Ect Pwr Button Actually Do...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Harichs Gaahl Kriegdeblitz

Harichs Gaahl Kriegdeblitz

• Member via FB
  • 14 posts
  • First Name:Haris
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Eunos Roadster
  • Year: 1992

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Seriously... What does that button even do. I press it, I floor it and it makes NO difference whatsoever. Well, none that's really noticeable.

I have a '95 2.0GLi estate and it's pretty turd-tacular.

But yeah, I've had it for quite a while now and I really can't notice anything whatsoever when the button is pressed.

So if anyone could please enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it. Since it's been bugging me ever since I had the damn car.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Harichs Gaahl Kriegdeblitz

• Member via FB
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

46 views and no one can say anything?! Come on guiyses! Help a bro out, it's driving me mental.

#3 Cyker

Cyker

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris/03

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

No idea mate!

Had a quick search; Some say it acts like a 'sport' mode similar to some autos gearboxes and holds onto gears for higher revs before shifting. Others say it changes the variable valve timing in some undocumented way, also for more power.

Is it even connected to anything?! :lol:

#4 philbee

philbee

• Registered Member
  • 17 posts
  • Toyota Model: carina e 2 litre Auto

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Dear Sirs
According to my owners manual the ect pwr button is to be used for powerful accelaration, whereby the transmission is shifted up and down at a higher vehicle speed than when in the' normal' switch position..It is to be used when the overdrive switch is on. It is not to be confused with the 'kickdown' accelaration which can be used without the overdrive switch being on.
Hope this helps.
Philbee

#5 Harichs Gaahl Kriegdeblitz

• Member via FB
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

It is to be used when the overdrive switch is on. It is not to be confused with the 'kickdown' accelaration which can be used without the overdrive switch being on.
Hope this helps.
Philbee

So, it's completely and utterly made void by the fact that there's a kick-down switch... LOL.

#6 philbee

philbee

• Registered Member
  • 17 posts
  • Toyota Model: carina e 2 litre Auto

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Dear Haris
From what I understand, the ect button and the 'kick down ' option are two separate items.As I stated earlier the kick down facility can be used at anytime where short bursts of accelaration are required. The ect facility can only be used when the overdrive is being used and is there to provide a higher constant speed for when increased accelaration is required, the downside obviously is that this facility uses higher revs and therefore more fuel. I hope that this has made it clearer.

#7 auts64

auts64

• Registered Member
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:arvind
  • Toyota Model: at192
  • Year: 1996

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

I am working on a Toyota Carina - AT192 1996 model.- it had a 5afe engine with ECT gearbox. The owner had the engine swapped with a 20v silvertop and Auto ECU. The gears are not changing. Any help on electrical connections from gearbox to engine harness will be very helpful. PLs pls pls help. rgds,arvind.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users