Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Got My New Ice - Sound System Disappointing

scgf

Took delivery of my new Aygo Ice yesterday. I'm loving it but am disappointed with the audio quality. The bluetooth is excellent and worked immediately with my iPhone. Having seen bluetooth implementations in other cars I am well impressed.

I am disappointed with the audio system sound quality though. I was expecting Speakers in the rear doors as shown in all the pics of the Ice interior. There are only two in the front doors. The basic Aygo comes with two Speakers, according to the specs, the Ice has four. Surely they're not including those in the dash?

My old car was a smart fortwo and I paid extra for an upgraded sound system which included a sub under the driver's seat. I reckon it was pretty much the same standard as the Aygo head unit but the sub made all the difference.

Think I'm going to have a sub fitted to my Aygo - should I have my Toyota dealer fit one for me or go to a car audio dealer and have a third-party unit fitted? I don't want to do the job myself.

Cheers.

The basic Aygo comes with two speakers, according to the specs, the Ice has four. Surely they're not including those in the dash?

Why ever not - they are Speakers. The might be rubbish Speakers, but they still fit the description.

Think I'm going to have a sub fitted to my Aygo - should I have my Toyota dealer fit one for me or go to a car audio dealer and have a third-party unit fitted? I don't want to do the job myself

I have a 2011 model Aygo and fitted a sub - well worth it. As to dealer or independent fit, with independent you can pick a unit you like, whereas with MrT you'll presumably get the Toyota branded item. I've no idea how good or not the T one is (I used a Pioneer unit).

• Like 1

Why ever not - they are speakers. The might be rubbish speakers, but they still fit the description.

Beause the basic Aygo only comes with two Speakers. If '2 speakers' means they only get the two Speakers on the dash it must sound absolutely dreadful!

I've had my Aygo Fire just over a week and the sound quality is awful for a new car. I had an old Ford Ka before it and the sound quality was much better than the Aygo.

I too was a little disappointed in the sound system, although I suppose it's built 'down' to a price. The Fire is also advertised as 4 Speakers, and on investigation I found these to be two 'full range' Speakers in the doors and two tweeters in the dash that work together. If you're putting your ear to the tweeters in the dash and thinking these are the two Speakers fitted to a basic Aygo, don't worry they won't be.

After finding out neither my JBL 100mm nor 165 mm coaxial speakers would fit in the dash and door, I replaced the stock Aygo speakers and fitted a new head unit. This greatly improved the sound it has to be said. I've heard that the Aygo head unit, whilst looking nice, delivers a paltry 4W of power which is of very little use. At least a higher power head unit can drive the 15W RMS speakers fitted to the Aygo Fire (and presumably ICE) with some power.

There are also no connections to the rear fader outputs of the head unit so this gives you the option of adding a further set of speakers somewhere else in the car and doubling your amplifier output capabilities, increasing sound pressure level in the cabin and also giving a better spread of sound. I've opted for adding a pair of 6x9's in a parcel shelf I am currently making (because the 6x9's don't fit in the recesses of the stock parcel shelf) and this should be ready in a day or two - if it ever stops raining! The head unit and additional rear fader speaker wires were all fitted and ready to go within a couple of hours for each job.

I'll post some pics and a 'how to' when I get back from my holiday :)

I took my Aygo to a local car audio dealer in Leicester at lunchtime, and as we speak they are installing a Fusion CP AS1080 8" sub-woofer under the passenger seat. The cost fitted is £210.

I initially approached my Toyota dealership but they said Toyota does not have an under-seat sub for the Aygo in its parts catalogue.

Will post back once the job has been done.

I have the Aygo Ice (2011 Model). It didn't come with bluetooth like yours does but it has 6 Speakers, two 6.5" in the front doors, two 4" in the corners of the dash and two tweeters in the A pillars.

There's what looks like a very basic filter in the connector for the 4" Speakers that strips out high and low frequencies only sending midrange to them.

I swapped the HU for my Alpine CDA-9887R and the 4" Speakers for some Pioneer TS-G1012i. . Since they are a two way speaker, I tried bypassing the 'filter' and sending all frequencies to them, this took the A-pillar tweeters out of the loop. I'm no audiophile but I preferred the original configuration with the filter in place allowing the tweeters to handle the highs and the 6.5" speakers in the door getting the bass.

Next job is to swap the door speakers as they distort horribly with even the slightest hint of bass.

Also looking to put an underseat sub in, weighing up In Phase USW-10, Pioneer TS-WX110A or Alpine SWE-1000 at the moment.

Took delivery of my new Aygo Ice yesterday. I'm loving it but am disappointed with the audio quality. The bluetooth is excellent and worked immediately with my iPhone. Having seen bluetooth implementations in other cars I am well impressed.

I am disappointed with the audio system sound quality though. I was expecting speakers in the rear doors as shown in all the pics of the Ice interior. There are only two in the front doors. The basic Aygo comes with two speakers, according to the specs, the Ice has four. Surely they're not including those in the dash?

I think they are. On my 56 reg black, there are two Speakers in the back doors, and the two in the dashboard - therefore the sound distribution is actually pretty good. I've always been fairly impressed with the sound quality considering it's a basic car. But I can understand that the sound distribution may not be so good, if it just has the front Speakers + dashboard Speakers.

My Aygo Go has six Speakers also and i have just fitted my JVC head unit.

The Bass is very dissapointing with the Speakers so i will try and get some better door Speakers and leave the others alone.

Finally managed to sort the parcel shelf out between the rain showers and wire it to the rear fader of the Kenwood head unit. After a little fine tuning with the tone control shelving and levels I now have a sound that literally pounds my chest with the beat of the kick and snare drum, and that's leaving the stock Speakers in situ in the front door and dash. On holiday soon but can post details of my upgrades when I get back if anyone's interested? :)

post-13937-0-00939300-1341428323_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links