Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption Issues

Corey_iQ2

Hi all! Recently my fuel consumption seems to have dropped to between 35 and 38 mpg from 45 mpg, dont think my driving style has changed and car seems to be running ok, really cant work it out!!Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Corey

Is it due a service?

• Brake/s could be binding
  • Low tyre pressure?
  • Clogged air filter
  • Dodgy sensor?

Shouldn't be due a service but think tire pressures are a bit low to be honest, will give them a pump tomorrow see if it helps! :)

yep aircon has been on considerably more, but surely it cant make it lose that many mpg!!??

If the tyre pressures are a bit low then that might well be 2mpg less you get and if the A/C is on then that might well be another 2mpg.

Easy enough to do the tyres, because you should be checking them anyway,

& trying the A/C off will confirm easily enough what you use there.

Looking in to see if the airfilter is clean is a 5 minute job that can help you keep the engines performance and economy as it should be.

Not only an iQ thing, any vehicle really.

george

• 1 year later...

Hi all! Recently my fuel consumption seems to have dropped to between 35 and 38 mpg from 45 mpg, dont think my driving style has changed and car seems to be running ok, really cant work it out!!Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Corey

Mine's crap at the moment (click on my FUELLY link below). Going to do all the usual stuff (tyres/filter etc) over the next few days to see if there's any change, but not that happy. I know I have a cvt gearbox but it ain't supposed to be that bad. Bottomed out at 33mpg last week and rose slightly to about 36mpg this week.

However, it is all city driving but even so.......hmmmmmm

36mpg out the IQ doesn't seem right. My last fill up was £32.00 (25.06L) @ £1.27 per litre. I averaged 54mpg and I done around 80% town, b road driving and 20% motorway not topping 70mph.

I take quite a lot of attributes into account on my fill ups as getting this car has made me aware of what I'm going through. Check the following: correct tyre pressure, the load inside the car (carrying weight), smooth gear changes, no foot to the floor acceleration after gear changes, engaging the clutch at the right time upon stopping, shift up to 5th above 35mph if the road is flat, ensure the oil and filters are fresh and try not to idle the car more than 30 seconds as this does waste fuel.

I try my best on a daily basis but obviously there's only so much you can do to save fuel. Your car seems to get VERY low consumption and I would compare your figures with my old Citroen C2 1.6 GT. That achieved 35mpg and believe you me, it got driven hard most of the time. Getting 32mph seems strange considering me and quite a few others on here are getting double that.

Keep us updated after you change the filters :driving:

My MPG has been between 60 + 70 MPG for quite a while, and over the last 2 months has dropped to 50 to 60 MPG

This is measured using scan gauge E and a normal scan gauge II plus the built in IQ MPG meter.

I have checked tyre pressures they were OK

I have checked air filter it is still clean

I am using Shell V power at the same pump so no change in that respect

My trips are of the same nature so no change in that respect

I am driving in the same manner.

The weather has become a little colder now so that is all I can see as being different !

So I have now no idea !

• Like 1

Bob - your probably correct on the temperature as I'm achieving 5-8mpg less now it's been around 3c here in Scotland. I start and stop throughout my work as I work marketing outside, every hour for 6 hours it gets start/stopped. Probably because my cars getting cold quicker in between stops, therefore having to use more petrol to heat the engine unlike the summer months. 60-70mpg is VERY good though as the best I've managed last summer was 67.2mpg :)

36mpg out the IQ doesn't seem right. My last fill up was £32.00 (25.06L) @ £1.27 per litre. I averaged 54mpg and I done around 80% town, b road driving and 20% motorway not topping 70mph.

I take quite a lot of attributes into account on my fill ups as getting this car has made me aware of what I'm going through. Check the following: correct tyre pressure, the load inside the car (carrying weight), smooth gear changes, no foot to the floor acceleration after gear changes, engaging the clutch at the right time upon stopping, shift up to 5th above 35mph if the road is flat, ensure the oil and filters are fresh and try not to idle the car more than 30 seconds as this does waste fuel.

I try my best on a daily basis but obviously there's only so much you can do to save fuel. Your car seems to get VERY low consumption and I would compare your figures with my old Citroen C2 1.6 GT. That achieved 35mpg and believe you me, it got driven hard most of the time. Getting 32mph seems strange considering me and quite a few others on here are getting double that.

Will do but bear in mind re gears, apart from not putting the foot to the floor, there's not much I can do re gears as I have a multidrive.

But take on board the rest you're telling me. We do have the spare wheel on board, but that can't cause too much mpg loss can it?

Will do but bear in mind re gears, apart from not putting the foot to the floor, there's not much I can do re gears as I have a multidrive.

But take on board the rest you're telling me. We do have the spare wheel on board, but that can't cause too much mpg loss can it?

I thought every IQ doesn't come with a spare? Mine certainly doesn't. Sorry my bad on the gearing - I didn't notice you have a multidrive

I thought every IQ doesn't come with a spare? Mine certainly doesn't. Sorry my bad on the gearing - I didn't notice you have a multidrive

Thanks Aaron. No I decided to buy a set of spare wheels for our iQ which came quite cheaply off eBay (£62.50 for each brand new alloy with new tyre), the rationale being that we're going to keep the car for a fair few years and the tyres were thus bound to wear out, and so pre-empting that made tons of sense.

Last month, wife was driving and she had a nail puncture (slow) which the AA wouldn't fill with the gloop for some reason so they pumped her up, followed her home and she managed to get home. So I bought a cover for one of the spares soon after and put it permanently in the rear (seat down) in case she got caught out again.

• Like 1

My iQ has the new 'catalyst-thing' in for a month.

It used to be about 6.7 liters on the 100 kilometers... And now it's about 5.3 liters on the 100 kilometers.

Sadly the last has been done on long roadtrips... so this can be overrated (this 5.3 liters).

But it does feel that with the new 'exhaustEGRcatalyst' changed the car is way better... :-)

My iQ has the new 'catalyst-thing' in for a month.

It used to be about 6.7 liters on the 100 kilometers... And now it's about 5.3 liters on the 100 kilometers.

Sadly the last has been done on long roadtrips... so this can be overrated (this 5.3 liters).

But it does feel that with the new 'exhaustEGRcatalyst' changed the car is way better... :-)

My IQ has also performed better since new EGR etc,,,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the air filter off this weekend for inspection and yes, it is pretty dirty in the valleys with a few bugs sitting on the exterior side but......

......flippin 'eck......

£55 plus VAT for a !Removed! filter from one site. Is this real?

My full service is due in late January./early February, I think I'll make sure they do it for the inclusive cost then

EDIT: Vantage Toyota only want 16 odd squiddlies exc VAT (so about £20). Thank goodness for that!!!!!!!!

EDIT2: Local parts dealer £10.51 inc VAT. That'll do - unless someone tells me I should only buy Toyota

• Like 1

Which site was £55 +, and was that supposed to be a performance filter. ?

Some Service Kits cost around that, includes Oil, Air & Pollen Filters.

£11-£17, Local Motor Factors are good, they are right there and you see what you are buying and can compare visually.

http://www.livingstonautoparts.co.uk

In Holland Toyota put me back for € 28,21....

Toyota-nieuw-luchtfilter-11-09-2013-4200

So checked the tyres, changed the air filter and we have a reduction down to 27mpg

Getting a little racked off now.

Also, the CVT auto gearbox seems to labour at low speed.

Not happy

As you're due a service January/February, why not book it in early January and highlight the issue to the dealer.

As you're due a service January/February, why not book it in early January and highlight the issue to the dealer.

Thanks Mike. Yes I've already got it in my diary to ring them Monday

Maybe its because when you leave home or work , it takes longer for the engine to reach operating temperature thus the mixture is more fuel than air for a longer period than summer months. Twice a day minimum all adds up. Plus the mixture is likely to be different in general than summer, especially in Scotland

David

Could be David, but I get more out of my heavy Citroen C5, 2.0L diesel doing the same thing....and that's with an auto transmission too (or rather a less than frugal AL4 auto box).

Dunno, just a bit disappointed that a car of this ilk offers such low return - even along city roads in winter.

I've got a theory that the labouring CVT box at low speeds might be causing a braking effect, so it's booked in for a service in January and I'm going to give them a list

Thanks for feedback guys, always appreciated.

I have had CVT's right back to the Daf 66 & my Volvo 343, and about every Autobox type since.

The Multidrive can be good at achieving good economy.

You can put the iQ into D and just drive and floor the throttle,

but you can do more than that.

Use the Box, D and S, and even B sometimes.

You can lock and hold the steps/gears in the box using 'S', get pace and not burning so much fuel.

Getting the most from the 1.0 VVti and using revs, and high revs quite often,

easy driving does not always prove the most efficient.

I hypermile by getting up to pace and then keeping momentum,

& spirited driving, using S, and on occasion B.

My car can be driven on the same routes by the other half and not achieve the same MPG.

ie, uses more petrol.

By putting it in D then just keep flooring the throttle.

Then on the brakes, back on the throttle. not good.

george