Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq3 Air Intake ( Flood Water) Question?

David Ke

With today's deluge of severe rain and the possibility of having to drive into or out of water got me thinking of where the air intake on the iQ3 it is.

How far above ground level is it. Where is it located as I know of some cars that have them really low down.

Please do not take this in the wrong way, as i really am not being cheeky,

but rather than me posting a diagram or giving a height,

pop your bonnet and look at the 'Air Box' and then see for yourself where the air comes in to the 'Air Box' from the front of the vehicle, its easy to go from the box forward to the intake.

Its not high and please do not take risks.

A paper filter can disintegrate just so easily, and it takes a small amount of water to Hydro an engine.

A Quality Panel filter might help a little, but i would not count on it.

If you google,

'Toyota iq air intake' you will find your post and a few old ones from this forum.

In 2 older threads,

They Show Induction kits and higher filters like the K&N that might not actually help performance but are at least higher and do not fall apart when wet, and reject some water.

Remember that if you are driving along quite normally not in rain but have to ford water, that Hot Catalytic converters do not like getting dunked in water.

**Also its important to remember you might choose to drive through a depth of water you think is safe,

and then something big or too fast drives towards you and causes a bow wave or drowns your bonnet and your vehicle inhales that water, happens all too often.**

Easy to raise the air intake on a temporary basis when you know where it is.

Just take care, as many cars are not starting today, with 'Air Boxes' full of water and wet air filters.

george

(here is a simple example on my suzuki using a hoover tube, i dont wade much but if i did where needs must, instead of a Snorkle i will take the air intake into the cab untill i get through the water.

Done it for many years before any comments on not working, the inside of the vehicle will have an air temp of maybe 18 degrees celcius and a K&N filter drawing air from under a bonnet is sitting in a temp of around 28 degrees or more,

if i drown then i will not worry about the engine drowning.

One reason i do not wade even tho i have raised breathers and waterproofed electrics is that a Damp Interior is so unpleasant to live with, and you find you get moisture inside doors,lights, heaters etc.)

post-104736-0-74519200-1341645876_thumb.

The only advice I can offer is TO BE VERY CAREFUL when negociating any water deeper than a couple of inches and you cannot see a bottom.

I learnt the hard way in finding out that rufty tuff 4X4 landrovers can be swept off a ford in water depth less than 2 inches deep.

The IQ is a light car with big floaty tyres, and the mechanics of hydroplaning, tyre float, et al all come into play.

Rgds

Someone told me the other day that in a flood the first things to fill up with water will be the drains under the road then the water flows out the drain covers, lifting them up which then gets buried in more water. After a flood subsides it's quite common to find all the drain covers out of place.

Get a wheel in an open drain cover and you are going nowhere! Pretty dodgy to walk in too.

Be careful

Craig.