Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Readout

Wildy

Hi All Newbie here!! :D

I am looking for some advice please. My wife and I have recently bought a 2009 IQ and love it, it's ideal as a great economical 2nd car. Reading this forum has brought me to the attention of the 60mpg max readout for the instant mpg. I know there was a fix introduced but do you think it would apply to us even though the car is over 3 years old? I was thinking of phoning Toyota and mentioning it, but is it worth it or will they be within their rights to charge me for having the new computer fitted?

I also typed in our Reg into Toyota's website for recall on the brake cylinder of which it said our car was in fact due for repair!! Thought it might be worth mentioning the MPG issue at the same time. For obvious reasons, we don't want to have to pay for any of this work, but if it is going free then why not.

Are there any other known issues we should be aware of on the 2009 model? Anything that should be sorted by the dealers for FREE!!!

Sorry for all the questions and would really appreciate any assistance on this. Our nearest branch of Toyota is RRG in Rochdale, lancashire.

Kind Regards

Scott

Hi Scott.

If your IQ is under warranty then yes you could get it free. I also have a 2009 model and didn't bother getting the MPG readout fixed... Mainly because they'll reset the computer mileage back to '0'. Even though they will document it I personally haven't bothered as I know what my IQ MPG is capable of.

Other issues...

Check the forum pages on the Egr valve issue. Especially on our 2009 models. I had the Egr valve, catalytic converter, gaskets and pipework replaced all under warranty. £995.00 billed to Toyota HQ. The problem is with earlier models juddering/spluttering and hesitating on take off. Which is very dangerous. On the relevant page topic there is loads of information on the bulletin number you'll need and what your looking for in pictures that myself and others have uploaded to the topic.

Apart from that mine is running fine. Others might be able to tell you any other problems hopefully if there's more.

Hope that helps for you :)

Aaron

Aaron

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I do tend to agree that the IQ does perform well on fuel and what does a readout tell more than I already know - nothing!! I was just going to mention it when it goes in for the braking recall which I stumbled upon when asked to insert my registration into the Toyota site.

Toyota said that my car is due to have the repair under recall??? Not sure what the repair is to the brakes but I would rather have it done than not. To be honest I have noticed a slight judder when braking, it's not major but doesn't feel quite right to me. I was actually thinking of speaking to the garage where I bought the car from two weeks ago, who apparently gave it a full service prior to me picking it up.

Other than the above my wife and i are very happy with the car and it's performance, especially the turning circle - Wow!!!

Thanks again

Scott

The turning circle comes into use more that one might think.

We've owned ours for 4 months and although she says its 'alright' I think the IQ is superb. She's getting a new car in a year for her work so Im definitely keeping the IQ :)

More on topic, the brakes were a recall yes but mine must of got sorted as it says a lot of brake parts were replaced upon delivery of the vehicle.

You'll notice the gears are not as smooth as some cars in the same category as the IQ but again...you get used to it. It's a very intelligent car so I think, the amount of equipment you get and the overall experience of this car makes you forget about little niggles.

Hope you enjoy it and you'll grow on it more everyday as I have. Hope I've answered all your questions :)

Hi Scott, welcome to the iQ forum and to owning an iQ. Great little car that it is, it does, like all cars, have a few faults, small ones of course, like the car, well, except for the egr valve fix.

When we got our 59 reg iQ we did not really know what to expect as we did not have the opportunity to test drive it, or even look it over in the metal. We saw it on Autotrader when we were looking for a Smart car, and as I had received more than expected in a lump sum from a pension, we decided to go for that instead. It was easily the best decision I have ever made on any car I have owned, which is over twenty cars.

You will, as you look through the newer and older pages of this forum, see a number of 'gripes' and other topics about the great little iQ. There are some great ones from Tarquin, Peter, Taz and many others. They range from lighting inside and outside, to tyre/wheel and suspension mods. There are many mods for the iQ, from many people. Some are very simple, like the mods I have made to our iQ; A (decal/sticker) black hare looking up at the moon, and blue metal dust caps on the tyre valves; simples.

I plan to paint the brake calipers silver -my wife doesn't even want me to do that. I wanted red, or a deep red to go with the cars colour. Anyway, I have rambled enough. We all know you'll enjoy your iQ as much as we do. Happy driving.

:driving:

Aaron

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I do tend to agree that the IQ does perform well on fuel and what does a readout tell more than I already know - nothing!! I was just going to mention it when it goes in for the braking recall which I stumbled upon when asked to insert my registration into the Toyota site.

Toyota said that my car is due to have the repair under recall??? Not sure what the repair is to the brakes but I would rather have it done than not. To be honest I have noticed a slight judder when braking, it's not major but doesn't feel quite right to me. I was actually thinking of speaking to the garage where I bought the car from two weeks ago, who apparently gave it a full service prior to me picking it up.

Other than the above my wife and i are very happy with the car and it's performance, especially the turning circle - Wow!!!

Thanks again

Scott

Although they have stamped the service book to 'confirm' a service was carried out.did you also receive the workshop service sheet detailing what work was carried out.done.

I am always take it with a pinch of salt when sales people say the will give the car a service before you collect it.

The sales dept has to pay the workshop for any servicing or work that is carried on a car. This payment has to come out of the profit of any car deal they have carried out. yes the sales will check levels etc are ok then pick up the nearest rubber stamp and stamp the book and add a date.

If you never got a workshop service sheet,then go back and ask for it and wait for the excuse why they cant supply it.

Dont think for one minuet that Toyota salespersons are any different than any others. profit pays their wages.

Aaron

Thanks again

Scott

Although they have stamped the service book to 'confirm' a service was carried out.did you also receive the workshop service sheet detailing what work was carried out.done.

I am always take it with a pinch of salt when sales people say the will give the car a service before you collect it.

The sales dept has to pay the workshop for any servicing or work that is carried on a car. This payment has to come out of the profit of any car deal they have carried out. yes the sales will check levels etc are ok then pick up the nearest rubber stamp and stamp the book and add a date.

If you never got a workshop service sheet,then go back and ask for it and wait for the excuse why they cant supply it.

Dont think for one minuet that Toyota salespersons are any different than any others. profit pays their wages.

Very true, unfortunately.

Couldn't agree more on the above.

Our IQ did get serviced when we bought it, or so we were told. We returned to the garage and they (after some haggling) did show us the report of service items that had been changed/replaced. I asked for a printout for my personal record folder and again, after haggling managed to walk out with the service invoice. a stamp unfortunately to me, tells me nothing. What's better - a car with all stamps and some paperwork or a car with a folder packed of proven receipts and just a few stamps... I would choose a car with proven receipts packed full of all work/services that have been carried out by myself or a dealer.

Just another thing going back on subject...

I would try to buy a undersealant for either underneath the IQ or at least coat the engine clips/hose connectors and all suspension screws and fixtures with a sealant and/or grease. I done this to the suspension as I noticed it has surface rust on many of parts and thank myself for doing so - might just be me being OCD but it will hopefully help in time to come :)

Thank you to all of you who have replied. I totally agree with you that the IQ is a cracking little car which not only performs well but looks the part too! :D I intend going back to where I bought the car to have the brakes tested out, closely followed by a call to my local dealer to inquire about the recall and ask about the computer software glitch. I know the car is over three years old now but you never know, they may do these jobs for me!!! Incidentally, how long is the manufacturers warranty on the IQ? I know the new ones are coming with 5 years but not sure about the older versions?

Many thanks

Scott

The Manufacturers Warranty by Toyota will be 3 years from First Registered.

But any Re-call's that have been missed will be done for you, & should be without any trouble.

the dealer will need to check or someone can maybe post you the link to check your models re-calls if you have not already found it.

Did the dealer you got the car from provide at least a 3 month Mechanical Warranty from your date of purchase.

I take it your car is going in for the Brake pipe replacement by re-call,

which will mean you get a Brake fluid replacement, this saves you paying to have it done at your expense.

Sure you will enjoy your car,

have fun.

george

DOH, sorry i missed that you already had the re-call site.

The Manufacturers Warranty by Toyota will be 3 years from First Registered. But any Re-call's that have been missed will be done for you, & should be without any trouble. the dealer will need to check or someone can maybe post you the link to check your models re-calls if you have not already found it. Did the dealer you got the car from provide at least a 3 month Mechanical Warranty from your date of purchase. I take it your car is going in for the Brake pipe replacement by re-call, which will mean you get a Brake fluid replacement, this saves you paying to have it done at your expense. Sure you will enjoy your car, have fun. george DOH, sorry i missed that you already had the re-call site.

Thanks George, I am awaiting the Car People contacting me to arrange for the car to go in and have the brakes inspected as I do feel there is a slight issue with the rear discs. On close inspection of the discs it seems that the pads are not catching the full radius of the disc which could be causing the slight judder through the brake pedal - not sure? The front discs are all shiny as you would expect from normal motoring but the rear ones are only shiny through the middle of the disc/rotor. ( Is this normal or is it me???)Anyway, I will le them inspect them first before I arrange for the brake recall with Toyota!! Not a great start to my little IQ but I'm sure all will be fine once these little niggles have been sorted.

Thank you

Scott

The pads need checked to see if they require replacing and also the discs.

Also that the calipers are working fine and not sticky through corrosion.

thats the thing, annual services that only do a quick look see and no actual greasing or lubrication other than door hinges end up with some actual mechanicing being done.

The first 3 years are just warranty and a minor service and oil change,

then over 3 years old cars often need some parts replaced or at least maintained.

george

Cheers George, I have booked it in for Monday, will keep you all updated but I do suspect the calipers, diss and pads need lubrication if not replacing. The car has only done 13000 miles and is over 3 years old which tells me it hasn't done much work in it's time. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and we can then start to thoroughly enjoy the car.

Regards

Scott

This is one of the draw-backs of rear discs.

With the salt etc on uk roads in the winter the relative exposed nature of a disc set up makes it more prone to partial seizure or premature wearing of the disc itself, and I think each of the services should at least take the rear wheels off and give the rear brakes a good clean out and lub. linkages where necessary.

Unfortunately dealers do not do this, so a few years down the line, guess what, we have cars exhibiting possible rear brake problems.

I put winter wheels and tyres on and when I have the rear jacked up to put them on and take them off I always give the rear brakes a good clean up and check-up because I know Mr T won't do it at a service, although for tthe price, he should.

I still prefer a rear disc arrangement though, as long as it is maintained.

Just a reply to say I never got the mpg thing sorted to read more than 60mpg as

1. I dont get an average of '60' anyway (I get about 47)

2. I dont feel comfortable having the odometer reset back to 0, even though in the back of the service book there is a section for any odometer changes and Toyota would have it on their system.