• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • First Name:Colin
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: iQ
  • Year: 2012

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

I own a White iQ and this is my first white/pearl car and just an observation;

It attracts housefly like horse manure! Seriously, what's with those flying critters hovering and doing whatever they do on my car! :death:

Anyone found that an issue? Any tips on getting them off without resorting to hiring a little midget shoo flying them 24/7?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Red Yaris 54

Red Yaris 54

Top Rank Poster!

• Super Moderator
  • 18,255 posts
  • First Name:Red
  • Toyota Model: New Yaris Trend -Decuma Grey- Sons Aygo "Ice"
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

I think that with our current climate there are lots of these little flies about and all cars suffer the same.
The difference is that with a white car, any small insects squashed on the paintwork do tend to show up more!
No easy answer other than having a good wax polish on the car to prevent them sticking to the bodywork and regular washing so they do not become baked on in the strong sun that we get ;)

#3 aaronfife

aaronfife

Advanced Club Member

• Member Selling Group
  • 349 posts
  • First Name:Aaron
  • Toyota Model: IQ 1.0 VVT-I
  • Year: 2009

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Even worse when it's been fully polished and waxed :(

You'll notice after you wash the car, flies will fly into it and die on the paint... Really annoying but most newer white cars have this. On the IQ, it makes things worse because the pearl paintwork as it has a nice sparkle to it. I highly recommend polishing and sealing the whole car especially the front end. As bugs get splatted on all cars, being pearl white on the IQ, if you don't treat the paintwork, flies and bugs will be very hard to remove. I usually tar remove the whole front bumper only on hot weekends if Im washing it, leave 1min then wash off. This ensures you don't scratch or make imperfections on the paint :)

It's a nightmare but I couldn't change the colour for anything. In the sun, once clean, its a very striking colour to look at

#4 Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

There's dead flies on the front when you drive around and there's flys just flying around and planting themselves on there until I come up and shoo them off...

I find cleaning dead ones on the front with a pressure washing the best. Swipe and the bodies are gone. Satisfaction. Until I walk away and come back to flies 'loitering' around it again.

Does 'White' attracts more flies or do I notice it more over my previous grey car?

#5 mrpj

mrpj

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • First Name:Peter
  • Toyota Model: Yaris Icon+ Multidrive
  • Year: 2014

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

Meguiar's lambswool washmitts have a "mesh" on one side for removing insects. I've found it works very well and doesn't mark/scratch the paint/lacquer finish. http://www.theultima...-wash-mitt.aspx
Use with plenty of water though. I'm sure they may be bought a bit cheaper than the link provided which was the first result of a search.

#6 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • First Name:Nick
  • Toyota Model: IQ2

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

If you search for my thread “ A clean IQ is a happy IQ “ you will see my comments about waterless car cleaning products, specifically “ Showroom Shine” by a company called Greased Lightening. There a few other companies that make similar products.

My White IQ is kept spotless with not that much effort despite the fact I live out in the sticks at then end of a mucky country lane. In particular bugs and other road muck absolutely will not stick to it once it has a nice layer of Showroom Shine on it.

Anything that dares splatter itself onto the front edge of the car comes off fairly easily. A quick squirt of showroom shine will dissolve and remove more stubborn fly splats.

The Pearlescent White seems particularly suitable for this type of product and it leaves a deep shine.

It’s not cheap but I can recommend you give it a try.

#7 DGD

DGD

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts
  • First Name:donald
  • Toyota Model: IQ3
  • Year: 2010

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Flies are attracted to colours that reflect UV light which white paintwork does very well. Also if you park near to trees such as Lime or Sycamore they give off droplets of 'honeydew' in warm weather which will attract flies and wasps and leave a sticky residue on the paintwork.

#8 Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Flies are attracted to colours that reflect UV light which white paintwork does very well. Also if you park near to trees such as Lime or Sycamore they give off droplets of 'honeydew' in warm weather which will attract flies and wasps and leave a sticky residue on the paintwork.

That makes sense, as I have fruit bushes near my front lawn where I park.

Anything that dares splatter itself onto the front edge of the car comes off fairly easily. A quick squirt of showroom shine will dissolve and remove more stubborn fly splats.

I've googled it and may actually try that as a daily clean solution...

#9 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • First Name:Nick
  • Toyota Model: IQ2

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I've googled it and may actually try that as a daily clean solution...

Some good reviews here

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

#10 Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Some good reviews here

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

Got a set from Amazon, going to give it a go this weekend.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users