#1 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

I had my RAV round at my local dealer the other day and was invited to look at the new GT86.

Posted Image

After some serious discussion and tyre kicking I think Aftersales Manager, Richard McKay noticed my green complection and invited me out for a ride. Now look, I'm built for comfort not for speed and I tend not to get very excited about these things but this car shocked me. Firstly, I don't take well to sports seats as they make feel hemmed in. These seats were very comfortable and I could have sat in them for a long journey. Next, the ride. Its hard to describe really. Its a blend of being firm enough for sports car handling but compliant enough to soak up the cobbles street outside the dealership - bizaar! Finally the sound (I refrain from calling it noise). This thing driven "normally" is quiet, as quiet as most saloon cars. When opened up it has the growl of a souped up six cylinder rather than the misfire throb of a boy racer Subaru.

Posted Image

Out on the road and in Richard's very capable hands.......... lets just say it is very exciting and to coin an old TV cleche, you just can't help but grin.

All I would say is this. If you like the thought of a sports car but prefer the economy and comfort of a saloon car then go and have a ride in one of these because you will be surprised. I've ridden in Mazda MX5s and Porsches and they are crude and harsh by comparison. This is not just a comfortable and economical car but in the hands of a good driver, a stunning sports car. The biggest surprise for me was that you could buy it for around £25k.

For those of you that have ordered one, you are going to be quite pleased.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Cyker

Cyker

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 3,183 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris/03

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Did you have a go??? :D

#3 junebug1701

junebug1701

RAV4World Administrator

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • First Name:James
  • Toyota Model: RAV4 V6 Limited 2WD
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Very nice! I'm turning green myself. How was the interior? Cheap plastics, upscale, or plush? Doesn't look very "Toyota" under the hood, does it? The alternator, a/c compressor and oil filter are certainly easy to get to. I may have to visit my local Toyota/Scion dealer.

#4 Red Yaris 54

Red Yaris 54

Top Rank Poster!

• Super Moderator
  • 19,175 posts
  • First Name:Red
  • Toyota Model: New Yaris Sport Chilli Red with Piri-Piri Trim-Sons Aygo "Ice"
  • Year: 2014

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

Looks good ....and also available with "Auto" option

#5 dervdave

dervdave

The biggest Victor Meldrew

• Registered Member
  • 1,444 posts
  • First Name:Dave
  • Toyota Model: Hilux 3.0d Invincible D/Cab
  • Year: 2013

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

By the sound of it he couldn`t prise it out of the salesmans hands :lol:

#6 Cyker

Cyker

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Sacrilege! :eek: :P

#7 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

TBH I didn't ask but I wouldn't have done what Richard did so was quite happy (read into that what you wish!!!).

Very nice! I'm turning green myself. How was the interior? Cheap plastics, upscale, or plush? Doesn't look very "Toyota" under the hood, does it? The alternator, a/c compressor and oil filter are certainly easy to get to. I may have to visit my local Toyota/Scion dealer.

Will they sell it in the US James? The engine bay was very open and accessible and at the front it sounded no louder than a Yaris idling. Around the back there is just a deep burbling sound - take notice boy racers, no silly big bore exhausts and still proper sporty! I nearly threw the bonnet across the car park because I was expecting the same weight as the RAV but it is alloy which reduces the weight. The interior was surprisingly plush from a comfort/noise point of view but I didn't study it in huge detail.

And slightly cheaper than the manual! I guess the gearbox has been beefed up to cope with the torque.

#8 junebug1701

junebug1701

RAV4World Administrator

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • First Name:James
  • Toyota Model: RAV4 V6 Limited 2WD
  • Year: 2008

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

Will they sell it in the US James?

Yes, they are selling it as the Scion FR-S, and Subaru is selling their version called the BRZ. Is it just me, or does the Subaru look happier:

scionfrs002.jpg

2013-subaru-brz.jpg

#9 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,195 posts
  • First Name:Kingo
  • Toyota Model: Auris 1.6 Valvematic Sport 5 Dr
  • Year: 2013

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

All the TRD gear will be available for it from January, bit of a wait I know but you should be able to get a vast range of stuff by then, uprated suspension, big brakes etc

We have a motorsport side to the company and are very interested in the future of the GT86, Can't say any more than that at the moment but watch this space B)

Kingo :thumbsup:

#10 Cyker

Cyker

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Will they sell it in the US James?

Yes, they are selling it as the Scion FR-S, and Subaru is selling their version called the BRZ. Is it just me, or does the Subaru look happier:

scionfrs002.jpg

2013-subaru-brz.jpg

Haha, I see what you mean :lol:

The '86 has a sort of GRR! Crush your puny car! look to the front whereas the Subaru has more of a narrowing eyes I-have-an-evil-cunning-plan-bwhahaha! look :lol:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users