Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Demisting

alan.

Help please.

what is the best method to demist front windscreen. i don't want to use air con just to see where i am going.

i have tried various ways but none seem to work properly.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

just to

just to see where i am going.

you make it sound as if seeing isn't really that important :)

Try using the air con for a few seconds just to clear and then keep the ventilation on the screen. That should normally keep it clear unless it is raining heavily or you have moisture inside the vehicle. Make sure recirculation isn't on.

Also make sure the windscreen is clean, use some glass cleaner. It will fog up much less.

just to see where i am going.

you make it sound as if seeing isn't really that important :)

Try using the air con for a few seconds just to clear and then keep the ventilation on the screen. That should normally keep it clear unless it is raining heavily or you have moisture inside the vehicle. Make sure recirculation isn't on.

Also make sure the windscreen is clean, use some glass cleaner. It will fog up much less.

It's the answer that you probably don't want to hear - Auto aircon.

The aircon on the Prius is very efficient, you'll use far more petrol in winter trying to keep warm than you'll ever use in the summer with aircon. I have the aircon set to Auto all year round. The Prius aircon will use air from outside if it is more efficient to do so.

The air intake for the HV Battery is within the passenger compartment, and I think it is because the HV Battery doesn't like work well if it is too hot or cold.

My old volvo was a martyr for condensation and steaming up.

With the Prius on auto air con, it's never once steamed up or had morning condensation.

thanks for all replies.

ive tried auto but you can't direct the air to the screen.

so im still unsure what settings to use.

There is a demist button on the steering wheel. Lower right quadrant. Next to the rear window heater button. Mine is a 2008 model though so it might be different on yours.

I'm surprised it doesn't mention it in your manual though.

yes 2010 model is different.

the manual does not show the exact settings for demisting front screen without using air con.

with other vehicles you can direct the air to the screen. with the prius i cant find out how to do this the same way.

if you press auto you cannot direct the air to the screen.??? only to your face or feet.??

strange system

There will be a button on the air con controls that has an icon that looks like the wiper swept area on the windscreen. Press that button and air should be directed onto the windscreen. Dave.

thanks daveybee.

my point is that when you press the front demister the air con comes on. which is not what im looking for i just need to demist front window as i always used to. there must be a way.???

Air-con doesn't just cool, it dehumidifies. And that's great for demisting.

If you want to demist the front window, just press the windscreen button and let the car do the rest. When it's clear, you can switch off the aircon if you really feel strongly about it. But as others have said, the Prius aircon is very energy efficient. You might as well leave it on.

with the gen 2 you press the front demist button which directs the air fully to the screen and switches on the AC (if not on already). You can then press the AC button to turn it off, the airflow remains on the screen.

I believe that if you keep pressing the "Mode" button you can select the screen without A/C on.

thanks for all your help guys i will try all your suggestions

On the gen3, there is a front window demist button. It is the middle one on the left of the climate control screen (the opposite side to the AUTO button). It has a winscreen symbol with an upwards pointing arrow. Just press that.

If you play around with the A/C, AUTO and MODE buttons, you are not going to get it to work as well.

On the gen3, there is a front window demist button. It is the middle one on the left of the climate control screen (the opposite side to the AUTO button). It has a winscreen symbol with an upwards pointing arrow. Just press that.

If you play around with the A/C, AUTO and MODE buttons, you are not going to get it to work as well.

Just doing that will turn on the AC

ive used that johalareewi but it automatically turns on the a/c i was hoping to avoid that.

Turn on the "Auto" button, turn off the "A/C" button and then press the "Mode" button until the windscreen symbol appears.

hi gerryj. you cannot get the windscreen symbol on the auto mode.

What air flow positions does the mode button cycle through when you have Auto enabled? According to the Gen 3 OM, each time the mode button is pressed the next air flow position is selected, when the mode button is pressed when the last symbol (with defogger vents and foot wells) is displayed it should cycle back to the beginning.

On the Gen 2, when you start playing with the settings, it switches out of Auto mode. Another puzzle that I've always wondered about is why do car manufacturers have a mode that blows on your feet at the same time as the Windscreen? (I'm pretty sure my Honda Civic had the same restriction, you couldn't just have the Windscreen).

ive used that johalareewi but it automatically turns on the a/c i was hoping to avoid that.

I don't understand why you don't want to use the aircon. You need to use it occasionally, or you'll end up with a big repair bill. And using the aircon gives you an effective dehumidifier, so it clears any misting very rapidly.

Turn on the "Auto" button, turn off the "A/C" button and then press the "Mode" button until the windscreen symbol appears.

When you press the "Mode" button the "auto" switches off and you can select the windscreen symbol.

On the gen3, there is a front window demist button. Just press that.

If you want to demist the windscreen quickly, you are going to have to use the A/C. It's not as bad as it sounds. The A/C on the Prius is run by electricity off the HV Battery and is very efficient. Also, A/C needs to used otherwise it stops working.

When the screen is demisted, you can turn off the front screen demist and use the manual controls without A/C. But as you have discovered, when using the manual options, the mode button on the gen3 doesn't have an option to direct all the air to the screen only. You can only get this with the front demist button.

To be fair, I was the same when I first got my gen3.

I think we may be overlooking a simple answer here.

to demist without AC press the windscreen icon on the climate control section on the dash, then press the ac button to switch off the compressor and then use the fan speed button to slow the fan down (as it will go full tilt)

you can then leave it like that until you are done.

Note - using the AC will of course demist much faster, but the above works for me if I am feeling all eco and green.

thanks for all the replies guys. plenty for me to play around with. im sure ill get there.

thanks.