Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Belt Squeal

Adam C

Hi all, just a quick one . .

Got a bit of a squealy belt on my 1.3 TR on start-up. The garage have adjusted the tension but it came back. I've heard loosely that there's a spray (not WD-40) you can get as a way of coating or lubricating the belt, thus (hopefully) wiping out the squeal. Any ideas? Had a quick trip to Halfords but nothing stood out . .

Had this problem on mine. Had the belts replaced with genuine Toyota belts which stopped the noise for a while but it always comes back. WD40 will work for a time (despite all the doomsayers saying it will rot the belt this isn't my experience, and I've seen a few garages use it) but you can buy some belt dressing which should last longer. Search for belt dressing or Car Plan Belt Up on Amazon. Haven't tried it myself though. The noise is generally moisture on the belts which is why it wears off after a few miles. Also belts can get glazed in time which doesn't help, but like I say, replacements also soon get glazed.

EDIT - Toolstation sell it. V Belt Spray code 25485 £3.51

The belt can be tightened. There is an adjuster plus nut beside the alternator.. The belt is at maximum load when the engine is cold and the Battery is giving current to the starter. If the belt is damp, that makes it worse.

A competent mechanic (or me!) can do the job in about 5 minutes.

(a belt stretches a little with use and age)

Hi all, just a quick one . .

Got a bit of a squealy belt on my 1.3 TR on start-up. The garage have adjusted the tension but it came back. I've heard loosely that there's a spray (not WD-40) you can get as a way of coating or lubricating the belt, thus (hopefully) wiping out the squeal. Any ideas? Had a quick trip to Halfords but nothing stood out . .

Belt dressings are a waste of time they make they belt 'sticky' and little else. If a belt squeels and the tension is correct, and the alternator,idler pulley, air con pulley etc. are turning freely i.e. no partially siezed bearings etc. then the belt is worn and needs replacing. Despite popular opinion belts do not stretch. They are designed to drive from the sides of the V's When the belt wears it sits deeper in the pulley grooves, looses tension and gives the impression it has stretched. When belts become very worn they sit so low in the pulley grooves they try to drive from the bottom of the groove which they are not designed to do, there is very little friction for drive so the belt slips and squeels. Premature wear can also be caused by one or more pulleys out of line. Use a genuine Toyota belt or Dayco. Cheap belts are useless. Beforefitting clean the pulley grooves with methylated spirit to remove the residue of the old belt, a task often neglected! I was taught this proceedure over sixty years ago and have never had a squeeling belt.

Regards Geoff Peace

Thanks for your replies people, appreciated.

Was out in the 58 reg car today, the belt was squealing for ages. After a while I had a little look at it. With the engine off I ran my finger over one of the pulleys. My finger was blackened so wondering . . do I try to just clean the pulleys for now, do that and replace the belt, or simply put the car into the garage for a new belt fitment? The vehicle is covered under extended warranty so considering calling the garage in the morning, although the service booklet states that most aux. belts are changed every six years/60,000 miles.

Gonna inspect the belt again in the morning to help make up my mind here, but it's looking like a new belt's going on . .

On the plus side the squeal is nowhere near as bad as the belt slip on a work colleague's 58 reg Suzuki Swift - that thing can burst eardrums!

Thanks for your replies people, appreciated.

Was out in the 58 reg car today, the belt was squealing for ages. After a while I had a little look at it. With the engine off I ran my finger over one of the pulleys. My finger was blackened so wondering . . do I try to just clean the pulleys for now, do that and replace the belt, or simply put the car into the garage for a new belt fitment? The vehicle is covered under extended warranty so considering calling the garage in the morning, although the service booklet states that most aux. belts are changed every six years/60,000 miles.

Gonna inspect the belt again in the morning to help make up my mind here, but it's looking like a new belt's going on . .

If your finger was black with belt dust then a new belt is needed and clean the pulleys. The new belt will grip rather than slip on the old belt debris

Regards Geoff Peace.