Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4D Avensis Starting And Cutting Out Problem 2004 53 Reg T25 1Cd-Ftv

flygrip

Hi, I recently took on a challenge with this 53 reg d4d.

• Long cranking time before start (8-10secs when cold, 4-5secs when warm)
  • Cuts out when stopping at lights (Happens more often when warm)
  • Sluggish, feels like in limp mode
  • No OBD code, No EML light
  • My Denso pump looked like thispost-126469-0-32764100-1350592937_thumb., Does it have any SCV valve?(Like the red & green one on RAV4)

I have

• Replaced Fuel filter
  • Checked and cleaned the intank fuel gauge, fuel pickup lines
  • MAf sensor swaped with a working car, made no difference

After some research, it seems a common problem, but no answer found in all these topic?!

http://www.bba-reman...opic111781.aspx

http://www.boards.ie...hp?t=2056162142

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138211&st=0

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138968&st=0

What should I try now? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The symptom is very silimar to the one quoted below:

Hey guys, got a troublesome 2004 2.0 d4d d-cat dumped with me. There is some baggage with it as it has been to 4 mechanics previously, with no diagnosis or improvements.

However, i have some basic information on it from the owner, but will disect him later for all the exact details when i get a chance, and update this post, but heres what i have.

Toyota, 2004 2.0 d4d d-cat, with 95,000 miles. The car is extremely difficult to start when cold, , and will only just start, if at all, but if you hill start, start on run, bump start etc, it will almost start with in the lenth of itself or a little bit more.

when it becomes warmer, the starting improves, but still will turn over 5 or 6 times when at its best, and almost sounds like a cement mixer in doing so, with what seems like a gradual start up phase!

Previous mechanics have checked timing belt,removed injectors and had them tested, with no faults found. A new battery and heater plugs also have been fitted, fuel filter changed and by-passed. Direct feed of diesel to pump, bypassing all fuel lines,,, all had no improvements. Customer states that car has gradualy gotten worse to start.

Now, i have it. Checked symptons out this morning, and they seem fairly accurate as to how customer explained it, however, he did not seem to notice any difference in drivability when asked. But there was.

It seems extremely sluggish taking off, and will almost certainly stall, unless you hold throttle on it, and is very sluggish in the low down revs. I scanned it using bosch kts and no faults present.

Took it back to shed and examined all air and boost pipes first, all ok, and pulled of EGR valve and was sooted, but not sticking open at all. Cleaned reguardless, and reassembled. Examined intake air flap, also, no problems.

Initialy it seems when starting, that its lacking in fuel, u have to keep the starter motor turning over to almost keep it going until it starts.

I have done a few of these avensis before with hard starting, and 9 out of 10 times it was the starter motor. But this one is behaving differently.

I will be going back to it shortly hopefuly, and will do a more thorough examination. I will be on later with more updates and more customer information, and if anybody has any insight to this, it will be much appreciated. Thanks

blacky

http://www.bba-reman...opic111781.aspx

http://www.boards.ie...hp?t=2056162142

• Long cranking time before start (8-10secs when cold, 4-5secs when warm) -----POSSIBLE REASONS ARE: clogged fuel filter; SCV fault; fuel tank booster pump fault; rail pressure sensor faulire (in case you have a rail system); glow plugs failure.
  • Cuts out when stopping at lights (Happens more often when warm)--- POSSIBLE REASONS: air in the fuel system / fuel filter; SCV solenoid coil failure; clogged fuel filter
  • Sluggish, feels like in limp mode ---POSSIBLE REASON: EGR is blocked or partly blocked creating an exhaust gas contra pressure braking engine running
  • My Denso pump looked like thispost-126469-0-32764100-1350592937_thumb.jpg , Does it have any SCV valve?(Like the red & green one on RAV4)---- the bright cylinder looks like a SCV in your pump variant with clear vissible el contact

I have

• Replaced Fuel filter ----- have you bleed an air from the system ? have you well positionned /assembled filter?
  • Checked and cleaned the intank fuel gauge, fuel pickup lines -----think about possible damage of el contacts governing booster pump running in the tank
  • MAf sensor swaped with a working car, made no difference --MAF has very sensitive part that must be spray cleaned only without cleaning it by a rag or so

What should I try now? Any help will be appreciated. ---- please arrange youtube video when started up and to hear an idle

The symptom is very silimar to the one quoted below:-----the result might be the same but the reason is an individual matey

Thanks for your reply. Igormus.

Just a few updates:

• On avensis there is no prime/lift pump in tank. No filter in tank either(Only fuel filter in engine bay, and this has been replaced).
  • Egr cleaned today. Open & close freely.
  • MAF cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. (Done it before on my 1.8T mk4 GTI)
  • My engine and supply pump looked like the one in picpost-126469-0-57953100-1350764273_thumb.

• Long cranking time before start (8-10secs when cold, 4-5secs when warm) -----POSSIBLE REASONS ARE: clogged fuel filter; SCV fault; fuel tank booster pump fault; rail pressure sensor faulire (in case you have a rail system); glow plugs failure.
  • Cuts out when stopping at lights (Happens more often when warm)--- POSSIBLE REASONS: air in the fuel system / fuel filter; SCV solenoid coil failure; clogged fuel filter
  • Sluggish, feels like in limp mode ---POSSIBLE REASON: EGR is blocked or partly blocked creating an exhaust gas contra pressure braking engine running
  • My Denso pump looked like thispost-126469-0-32764100-1350592937_thumb.jpg , Does it have any SCV valve?(Like the red & green one on RAV4)---- the bright cylinder looks like a SCV in your pump variant with clear vissible el contact

I have

• Replaced Fuel filter ----- have you bleed an air from the system ? have you well positionned /assembled filter?
  • Checked and cleaned the intank fuel gauge, fuel pickup lines -----think about possible damage of el contacts governing booster pump running in the tank
  • MAf sensor swaped with a working car, made no difference --MAF has very sensitive part that must be spray cleaned only without cleaning it by a rag or so

What should I try now? Any help will be appreciated. ---- please arrange youtube video when started up and to hear an idle

The symptom is very silimar to the one quoted below:-----the result might be the same but the reason is an individual matey

really you have no booster pump inside the tank?

i doubt the rail pressure will be reached 1000 bars by atmospheric sucking from the tank

I took the assembly in tank out to see if the there is a filter, no filter and no pump.

Only denso supply pump as shown in 1st post.

I took the assembly in tank out to see if the there is a filter, no filter and no pump.

Hello mate sent you a pm, and here is a .pdf of all the Avensis fuel system, if it's not in here then it doesn't exist ;) .

Regards ... Pete.

FUEL.pdf

we must to say thanks to Pete for support !

ok your page is

11-101

have a look and you will see the booster pump.

regards

we must to say thanks to Pete for support !

ok your page is

11-101

have a look and you will see the booster pump.

regards

I took it out and it is not lift pump, just gauge, as far as I know 1CD-FTV doesn't have lift pump.

post-126469-0-97016200-1351013631_thumb.post-126469-0-35300800-1351013690_thumb.post-126469-0-10329400-1351013749_thumb.post-126469-0-75158600-1351013796_thumb.post-126469-0-50315300-1351013855_thumb.

the unit in your hands is (level sensor+pump+primer filter) -- check - may be the strainer might be clogged + check resistance of pump terminals

regards

There is no pump in the unit. Only electric coupler/connector(red wires) is for the fuel gauge.

• 1 month later...

Hi,check the bottom of the feed line inside the unit.

You must reasemble the unit.

• 4 years later...

Hi. 

warm starting problem in 1cd-ftv and 1KD is due to a failling injector seats. They go bad and let the exhaust gases escape to the blow by decrasing compression

also you have to change inyector orings

feac425578526104006804f2fcc931c6.png

702cd9a47b868ac552862e40b7e3698c.png

LlEelBI.jpg

zqZRg2A.jpg

KRB7ZYB.jpg

spCg237.jpg

news

• Like 1

Apologies for the belated (5 years)reply, the good news is problem solved!

On my Avensis, the problem is the high pressure pump unit. There is a regulator unit at the back of the pump hold on torx screws that controls return flow back to the tank and the part is faulty.

Page 88 of the manual that Peter posted above - "Injector supply assembly"