Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav Engine Trouble

GreyRacer

I wonder if Toyota's future BMW engines will also suffer from winter fuel filter problems. Pity the new RAV in AWD will not have a decent petrol engine.

glad its sorted.

We lost all power as the car was starved of fuel although this was down to crap in the fuel tank getting caught in the filter.. damn filter! :disgust:

At least the filter is doing its job !! Hate to think what would happen if it let the crud go past :boxed: :boxed:

The RAV has a fuel cooler to stop the fuel from overheating (seems to be absent on 150 engines) so I wouldn't expect waxing to be a common problem. Water will cause it to wax though as it freezes and the diesel next to the ice waxes. I would have though a fuel filter done at every big service (2 years) or 20k should be enough. That would be 4 years for me.

The RAV has a fuel cooler to stop the fuel from overheating (seems to be absent on 150 engines) so I wouldn't expect waxing to be a common problem. Water will cause it to wax though as it freezes and the diesel next to the ice waxes. I would have though a fuel filter done at every big service (2 years) or 20k should be enough. That would be 4 years for me.

Does that mean the 150 engines may be more prone to waxing issues then earlier RAVs then? Or is it dealt with in some other way?

The water freezing problem is supposedly the reason why Morrisons fuel tend to have more issues then other fuels due to their higher Bio-diesel content I believe?

On my ship which is ice classed 1B we have to use special winter diesel additives for the lifeboats. Our filters never clog even at minus 28 constantly. Need to get some for the RAV lol.

The water freezing problem is supposedly the reason why Morrisons fuel tend to have more issues then other fuels due to their higher Bio-diesel content I believe?

After 171,000 miles of using Morrisons diesel I have never had an issue.

Keith

glad its sorted.

We lost all power as the car was starved of fuel although this was down to crap in the fuel tank getting caught in the filter.. damn filter! :disgust:

At least the filter is doing its job !! Hate to think what would happen if it let the crud go past :boxed: :boxed:

Totally agree.. i was attempting a bit of humour.

Glad i had my fuel filter changed at the last service. I checked my service records and no mention of it ever being changed in 6 years, schedule says every 4.

Never contemplated that the trapped water in the filter could end up freezing and so by waxing of the fuel....i take it thats what the issue is.

Always something to learn here.

All diesel has a CFFPP (cold fuel filter plug point). This would be a temperature that the fuel in the filter would wax and clog the system. It happens because the colder it gets the "waxier" the fuel becomes and it will clog the filter. I can remember in the 70s we used to add petrol to the diesel to try to improve matters and in some extreme cases I would go and lie under an old Foden and remove the filter just to get it back to base because as quick as you put filters in they would clog. These days that doesn't happen as the fuel is already loaded with effective anti waxing additives. The 2.0 D4D has a heater in the bottom of the filter to aid waxing problems and the first 4.3s pumped so much fuel back to the tank that it soon became hot and the fuel cooling radiator is under the floor. Since the 150 engine that cooler has gone and the system is allowed to run hot making use of the valuable heat and warming up time. I ran that manual 2012 model for a few weeks and with this auto, they warm up really quick. I mean proper warm after about a mile.

I would go and lie under an old Foden

Ha Ha!! I could occasionally be found lying under an old AEC in my younger days, takes all sorts!

I would go and lie under an old Foden

Ha Ha!! I could occasionally be found lying under an old AEC in my younger days, takes all sorts!

Never worked on AECs but we did have a number of Leylands and one Albion - this was a 24 ton 6 wheeler with a 132bhp engine!

I ran that manual 2012 model for a few weeks and with this auto, they warm up really quick. I mean proper warm after about a mile.

Go on rub it in, just got back from Orlando, left in 84 degrees F and arrive back to 2 degrees C took the Rav about 5 miles to start warming up and I was frozen (no Kev the 4.4 wasn't in the US dealers either yet :) I did check)

Gus

I ran that manual 2012 model for a few weeks and with this auto, they warm up really quick. I mean proper warm after about a mile.

Go on rub it in, just got back from Orlando, left in 84 degrees F and arrive back to 2 degrees C took the Rav about 5 miles to start warming up and I was frozen (no Kev the 4.4 wasn't in the US dealers either yet :) I did check)

Gus

I just got back too. We were in the pool most days for the 2 weeks we were there!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links