Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Premier Side Step Discolouration

Big Kev

Has anybody else witnessed what seems to be happening to my nice new sidesteps...?

They are developing a nasty rash of leopard like BROWN spots along their full length, and I have tried all mild methods of removing to no avail......and no acidic wheel cleaner or suchlike has been near them !!!

Just looking for any common ground before approaching Mr. T.

Big Kev

I've noticed the same on mine but they are 3 years old. Like you I tried cleaning them but it seems like the staining is underneath what I assume is a layer of lacquer. Not very impressive for a 'premium' product!

Is there any chance this could be caused by ferrous impurites in the alloy that is used.

The reason i say this is I had occasion to return a spare wheel cover after a month due to it dveloping pit marks where it started rusting.

Del

Either in the alloy or resting on it Del. Only needs a speck of iron or steel and staining will result............

I have the same and been like that pretty well since bought the RAV one year ago when it was 6 months old.

Not tried many things to clean them TBH, but of what I have tried, nothing has made a difference

What is made from a mixture of abrasives such as silica, lubricants such as carbon, about 60% steel fibre and bound together with phenolic resin? Every time you press the brake it showers out wear debris like a firework;

What is made from a mixture of abrasives such as silica, lubricants such as carbon, about 60% steel fibre and bound together with phenolic resin? Every time you press the brake it showers out wear debris like a firework;

......which lands on said sidesteps and sits there like a shredded Brillo Pad, waiting for the rain to spread its stain into nicely shaped leopard spots.....well ah ain't having it on a two month old car.

Dear Mr. T.,

Please supply wan perra nice new side steps and I will get some after market pads (Apec....?) for you to fit which don't have recycled Brillo Pads to do this to them again.

There was no need to go to all the bother of that video either.....were ye taped to the bonnet.....?

Big Kev

......which lands on said sidesteps and sits there like a shredded Brillo Pad, waiting for the rain to spread its stain into nicely shaped leopard spots.....well ah ain't having it on a two month old car.

Dear Mr. T.,

Please supply wan perra nice new side steps and I will get some after market pads (Apec....?) for you to fit which don't have recycled Brillo Pads to do this to them again.

There was no need to go to all the bother of that video either.....were ye taped to the bonnet.....?

Big Kev

I have the same on the side steps of my wife's RAV but a lot will wash off just leaving one or two annoying spots. I thought it was due to living near to a steam railway and specks of iron from the wheels and track coming our way. I have the same problem on the near horizontal parts of white paintwork/UPVC on the house.

I did use some hot rims wheel cleaner on the side steps which helped.

David

Tried to shift only ONE SPOT David, with....GUESS WHAT.....a brand new pink soapy Brillo Pad.....would not budge it. All other non acid wheel cleaners and you name its will not budge them....photo will follow later.....we are NOT talking a small incidence here....somebody has used a shotgun with ferrite cartridges.

Big Kev

Tried to shift only ONE SPOT David, with....GUESS WHAT.....a brand new pink soapy Brillo Pad.....would not budge it. All other non acid wheel cleaners and you name its will not budge them....photo will follow later.....we are NOT talking a small incidence here....somebody has used a shotgun with ferrite cartridges.

Big Kev

I think our side steps on a 2007 RAV are made from aluminium - I know yours are different, are they chrome plated steel by any chance? Sounds more than just a deposit if Brillo doesn't shift them. I think I would be complaining/seeking advice at the dealer.

David

Big Kev

I think our side steps on a 2007 RAV are made from aluminium - I know yours are different, are they chrome plated steel by any chance? Sounds more than just a deposit if Brillo doesn't shift them. I think I would be complaining/seeking advice at the dealer.

David

Aygo to the Aygo shop very soon, matey.....made that up.......

Very good - I hope it goes well.

I have just been driving the RAV - my favourite car! An automatic version next would suit me very well but can't justify swapping yet as the current one is so good!

David

Good point about the brake dust. I assumed the steps had a clear lacquer coat to protect them but obviously not!!

Wonder if they would T cut out? A job for the summer, no point in this weather!

Wonder if they would T cut out? A job for the summer, no point in this weather!

If a gentle rub with brand new pink soapy pad doesn't work, Angelos, T-Cut won't have a prayer methinks.

Big Kev.

Have they been anodised ? If not, try a scotchbrite pad.

How could a layman tell, Dave.....? Will phone ye later.

I would just take it back to your nearest MrT Kev. If they have rust stains they ain't 'Premium' in quality even if they are in looks.

Fitness for purpose and all that.....................

I would just take it back to your nearest MrT Kev. If they have rust stains they ain't 'Premium' in quality even if they are in looks.

Fitness for purpose and all that.....................

Manyana am David.....not letting this one go, even if it is brake dust orientated an I need to cough up for differentes.

Big Kev

Anodising ally gives it a slightly harder protective skin but it's only microns thick and is usually matt finish.

Best way to tell, rub it with scotchbrite type of pad and if it comes up brighter it probably is not anodised as you are probably just removing oxidation.

Not sure what type of steps you have Kev but if it is the polka dot ones that could be a nightmare to re-finish. I think the rubber strips on the other type

are removable meaning you could use the likes of the polisher you have with an appropriate pad. Don't get too alarmed when you see it going very

bright, ally oxidises and goes dull very quick. Trying not to get too technical here but from an industrial point of view its a lot easier. If it were a machined

component like some of the stuff we do, it gets a polish up with said scotchbrite if required and sub conned to a plating co.

edit, I remember a few years back we had this same conversation, my Rav steps had little spots of rust on and I reckoned at the

time that it probably went right back to the quality of the material they were extruded from. Contaminated with nasty little bits of

ferritic steel.

I would put the ball in Mr T's court, it's not good when they're only a few weeks old .

Anodising ally gives it a slightly harder protective skin but it's only microns thick and is usually matt finish.

Best way to tell, rub it with scotchbrite type of pad and if it comes up brighter it probably is not anodised as you are probably just removing oxidation.

Not sure what type of steps you have Kev but if it is the polka dot ones that could be a nightmare to re-finish. I think the rubber strips on the other type

are removable meaning you could use the likes of the polisher you have with an appropriate pad. Don't get too alarmed when you see it going very

bright, ally oxidises and goes dull very quick. Trying not to get too technical here but from an industrial point of view its a lot easier. If it were a machined

component like some of the stuff we do, it gets a polish up with said scotchbrite if required and sub conned to a plating co.

edit, I remember a few years back we had this same conversation, my Rav steps had little spots of rust on and I reckoned at the

time that it probably went right back to the quality of the material they were extruded from. Contaminated with nasty little bits of

ferritic steel.

Hi Dave

I don't know if you double space intentionally but if you try Ctrl+1 it should go away.

Hi Don, it was on my work PC, don't know why it does that.

Hi Don, it was on my work PC, don't know why it does that.

It's on double time Dave..............

....photo will follow later.....

Big Kev

Have you posted the photos Kev, I would like to see what you are suffering from, mine are just suffering from dirt, having said that the gritters have not been out much this year down my way (just a thought?)

Gus