Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Premier Side Step Discolouration

Big Kev

....photo will follow later.....

Big Kev

Have you posted the photos Kev, I would like to see what you are suffering from, mine are just suffering from dirt, having said that the gritters have not been out much this year down my way (just a thought?)

Gus

Will do later today, Gusterz min.....busy helping a neighbour build a very large boat at moment, and he keeps going on about "animals two by two" to be housed therein for another 39 days and nights....must just humour him.....

Big Kev

Kev, just been cleaning the Rav, seems that the offside step has a mild case of acne with a couple of pimples.

Ravii is just under the 8k mark now.

Gus

How the Friar can you clean yer car today, Gus min.....? Our ears are popping with the wind ootside, and my car is being washed at one side only by God and his mates....!!!

Big Kev

Luvverly down here, dry and sunny, gave the Rav a good wash outside and vacuumed inside and polished the glass, thought about giving it a polish but the management had other ideas for my time today....

Having said that my heart goes out to the poor devils in the South west and Aberdeen, that is not nice in any circumstances but just before Christmas is really not fair.

Gus

In the words of Pt Fraser, 'Yer waistin' yer time laddie, we're doomed, doomed', 'cos it's going to hiss down tonight apparently............

Luvverly down here, dry and sunny, gave the Rav a good wash outside and vacuumed inside and polished the glass, thought about giving it a polish but the management had other ideas for my time today....

Having said that my heart goes out to the poor devils in the South west and Aberdeen, that is not nice in any circumstances but just before Christmas is really not fair.

Gus

Concur entirely.....sorry for yer troubles one and all.

Have you tried bicarbonate of soda? If it doesn't settle yer stomach, it might remove the rust spots?

• 2 months later...

I dropped by my local Dealer a couple of weeks ago with the RAV4 and showed them my side steps ... Took pictures and said they would speak to Toyota GB about replacements.

Spoke to the dealer today and new Premium Steps have been ordered under the corrosion warranty :thumbsup:

That’s good news... :yahoo:

Toyota have now recognised this as a potential issue with the premium/stylish side steps and have now released a TSB ( technical service bulletin ) with modified parts now available.

Basically the manufacturer of the steps investigated and found that the rust proofing was inconsistent causing stains to appear in some steps, they have now improved their manufacturing process to ensure a consistent rust proofing process.

If you have a stained stylish/premium step pop into your local dealer and tell them to look out bulletin BO-0105T-1212.

Devon

• Like 2

Nice wan, Devz........so......they are actually some kind of anodised steel, then.......? Previous Style Pack steps were at least aluminium, which you may remember also came oot in brown spots mainly where the STEEL brackets attached to the ALLOY steps, and the steps became sacrificial anodes (pretty clever for me, eh......?). Thanks dave m.

At least with these steps, Toyota have not emulated Pontius Pilate as they did with the last ones, so good on ya Toyota !!!

Big Kev

After reading Devon Aygo's post on the Style pack steps, I took the bulletin BO-0105T-1212 No., into my tocal toyota dealer where i bought my SR Rav on September 2010

telling him that I've complained to them about the brown spots quite a few times.They looked up the bulletin,made a phone call and then said to me "your new steps are ordered"

when do you want booked in to have them fitted?.So having them fitted 21st march.Big THANKS to Devon. Great forum and good banter guys

PS Just to say to SR OWNERS engine started using oil!.the last 6 months Made Mr T put 1 litre of oil in rav yesterday(they have done the last two services)

1st year used no oil done 6000 miles (Sep.2011)

2nd year used no oil,now done 13000 miles (Sep.2012)

3rd year after 5000 miles, 6 months(March 2013) used 1 litre,now done 18000 miles.

any ideas as to why this should happen?.

Have told Mr Tto record this in my service history. Regards Jock

Have they changed the oil type. If they have gone over to fully synthetic 0W/30 as specified it could well use oil. Doesn't mean there is a fault though, it just clings better than the oil scraper rings can handle.

Keep monitoring it just to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

My Rav "premium" side steps are also suffering from premature acne. Cleaned it today now that the snow has gone and whilst it looks cracking from a distance...

IMAG0922_zpsde49ce17.jpg

... the side steps are not so pretty.

At only 6 months old and under 4k miles, i am not at all happy with this particular part of my £900 style pack!

Are these as bad as anyone elses? Is it just a matter of telling Mr T and they should replace?

Here are some photos of each side...

IMAG0916_zpse7e1852d.jpg

IMAG0919_zpse189532a.jpg

IMAG0917-1_zpse83747a6.jpg

I took mine in last month, don't think they were so bad as yours and got told to sling ma hook! if I wasn't happy talk to Toyota GB.

Gus

Mine looked pretty much like that and were 21 months old and 20,000 miles on, and got replaced FOC with no hassle, so get those dealers sorted! Quote the TSB number that Devon Aygo gave on the previous page ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links