Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arrival Dates For The New Rav4. 4.4

CharlieFarlie

I would like to be at the launch some where but only as a RAV4 fan, to see the new RAV close up and to soak in the excitement as an observer. I love RAV4s but this new 4.4 has lost me. I don't have the money for a new car, our 2004 4.2 RAV is our limit, we love it and how it looks. If I was buying brand new, I would like a Suzuki Grand Vitara 5 door. This looks a lot like the 4.2, and so looks like a propper 4x4 and not a beefed up estate car. Now I know this is just me but I like a 4x4 to look like a 4x4, (I'm not on about the Imprezas and the Pandas) there is something about having the spare on the rear that does it for me!

Even the Suzuki GV has lost the Door Mounted Spare now! (they recently launched a special limited edition with the spare back though, would you believe)

I like the GV and nearly bought a new one back in 2006, but plumped for an 11 month RAV4.2 instead which I had until 2010. The biggest trouble with the current GV is the terrible economy and CO2 rating (even worse then my SR Auto!) but a good car despite that :)

That spare wheel on the door was the deal maker for me when the thirsty petrol 4.2 went and we replaced it with a diesel GV while they did have a spare wheel. Surprise, surprise, Cilla. Just pre Christmas our enterprising Exeter Suzie dealer sent out a 'buy me buy me' email and amongst the news therein was a link to the Suzuki UK website regarding a minor makeover for the GV including "By customer demand, a spare wheel with 225/70 tyre has now been included as standard, eliminating the need for a puncture repair system. As the spare wheel is mounted on the rear door the Grand Vitara grows in length by 200mm (five door models) and 170mm (three door models)." Its is only a space saver but, hey, that is a lot better that an aerosol can and/or a written off tyre. By customer demand, eh? Now I know a few of you here, like me, feel that a 4x4 and any other car ought to have a spare wheel as a matter of safety so tell Mr T what you think and let us see if he listens too! After all, there is plenty of evidence on here that their customer relations work is very good .Happy New Year all.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• Big Kev

• anchorman

• firemac

well he's cocked a deaf'un since about 2006 on the subject of 3 door RAV.Apparently nobody wants them.

I would like to be at the launch some where but only as a RAV4 fan, to see the new RAV close up and to soak in the excitement as an observer. I love RAV4s but this new 4.4 has lost me. I don't have the money for a new car, our 2004 4.2 RAV is our limit, we love it and how it looks. If I was buying brand new, I would like a Suzuki Grand Vitara 5 door. This looks a lot like the 4.2, and so looks like a propper 4x4 and not a beefed up estate car. Now I know this is just me but I like a 4x4 to look like a 4x4, (I'm not on about the Imprezas and the Pandas) there is something about having the spare on the rear that does it for me!

Even the Suzuki GV has lost the Door Mounted Spare now! (they recently launched a special limited edition with the spare back though, would you believe)

I like the GV and nearly bought a new one back in 2006, but plumped for an 11 month RAV4.2 instead which I had until 2010. The biggest trouble with the current GV is the terrible economy and CO2 rating (even worse then my SR Auto!) but a good car despite that :)

That spare wheel on the door was the deal maker for me when the thirsty petrol 4.2 went and we replaced it with a diesel GV while they did have a spare wheel. Surprise, surprise, Cilla. Just pre Christmas our enterprising Exeter Suzie dealer sent out a 'buy me buy me' email and amongst the news therein was a link to the Suzuki UK website regarding a minor makeover for the GV including "By customer demand, a spare wheel with 225/70 tyre has now been included as standard, eliminating the need for a puncture repair system. As the spare wheel is mounted on the rear door the Grand Vitara grows in length by 200mm (five door models) and 170mm (three door models)." Its is only a space saver but, hey, that is a lot better that an aerosol can and/or a written off tyre. By customer demand, eh? Now I know a few of you here, like me, feel that a 4x4 and any other car ought to have a spare wheel as a matter of safety so tell Mr T what you think and let us see if he listens too! After all, there is plenty of evidence on here that their customer relations work is very good .Happy New Year all.

Presumably, you could if wanted replace the spacesaver wheel with a proper full-sized one then? (maybe have to loose the wheel cover as a full sized wheel is deeper?)

I wonder why a boot mounted spare would make the 5 door grow in length more then the 3 door? weird!

Anyways, good info :) I am spending all day tomorrow at the local Suzuki Dealership as it happens, so I'll have to have a look at the GV again during Tea breaks :D

How do you get to be at a launch,can you just pop along or is it by invite as Mrs P and meself would like to see its launch,and is it at all the Toyota branches or just a select few??

Hi Paul, if you are using your local Mr.T for servicing then it's pretty likely that you'll get a mail-shot for a launch event. Their sales guys will have you in the system as well and they'll be keen to get you to trade your 4.2 against a 4.4.

It isn't an elite celeb event - I've put dozens of invites in the bin just from my existing dealer & I've only been using them for 3 years or so. I get them from the local BMW dealer even though I've only ever been in there once & picked up a brochure, although I did give them my email addy. It's all about scatter gun marketing - they invite thousands to these things knowing that if they get 20% take-up, they're doing extremely well.

Thanks Jim,i will wait to see if anything comes through the post.

as someone who has suffered two blow outs (in 40 years driving) it beggars belief that anyone would buy any car without a spare

With modern tyre technology it is "Almost" unheard of for a modern tyre to blow out unless it suffers catastrophic intervention by road debris.. Lorries do not share the same build and that is why it is common to see debris on the motorway and a stranded vehicle on the hard shoulder..

That said I to would rather have at least the option of a spare wheel..

Do the manufacturer's listen ? Well how often do we hear people complaining we have no spare wheel ? Well lots actually .. How often do we hear.. Oh goody there is no spare wheel how good is that ??? You tell me ??

But the new Rav is to have a space saver for other markets if I remember right ? If it does then surely we can adapt it to the UK cars ??

If not its as before............

as someone who has suffered two blow outs (in 40 years driving) it beggars belief that anyone would buy any car without a spare

Ah know.....they must be nuts.....

With modern tyre technology it is "Almost" unheard of for a modern tyre to blow out unless it suffers catastrophic intervention by road debris.. Lorries do not share the same build and that is why it is common to see debris on the motorway and a stranded vehicle on the hard shoulder..

That said I to would rather have at least the option of a spare wheel..

Do the manufacturer's listen ? Well how often do we hear people complaining we have no spare wheel ? Well lots actually .. How often do we hear.. Oh goody there is no spare wheel how good is that ??? You tell me ??

But the new Rav is to have a space saver for other markets if I remember right ? If it does then surely we can adapt it to the UK cars ??

If not its as before............

Agree with you Charlie, they hit is with the"to save weight" or "to save space"...... Let us, the owners and drivers make that choice by at least giving us it as an option when we purchase the cars. If its available in other markets then let it be available to us.

They are "looking at the possibility of including a spare as an optional extra" I have read ad nauseum......seriously totally flawed piece of marketing, and will not pick any holes in the 4.4 until seen in the metal for fear of people thinking I am knocking it in favour of what I plumped for....a Rav 4 SR (Smashin' Runoot......?) 4.3

Cannot believe they would miss the spare wheel opportunity of giving customers what they actually want, and as for the weight/extra fuel consumption due thereto....what a shot of lite....!!!!!

Big Kev

We are looking to replace our 10 year old RAV in Spain soon. I will defineately be looking at the 4.4, and it will be interesting to see if the spare wheel is there. After all, it was offered as an alternative on ordered models in Spain, as was the sunroof! I suffered a blow out on Hammersmith Bridge as a lad, but thankfully tyre tech has moved on, but a spare wheel is an essential to me (as is a sun roof) I would probably not consider a car without a spare of some sort of spare!

They are "looking at the possibility of including a spare as an optional extra" I have read ad nauseum......seriously totally flawed piece of marketing, and will not pick any holes in the 4.4 until seen in the metal for fear of people thinking I am knocking it in favour of what I plumped for....a Rav 4 SR (Smashin' Runoot......?) 4.3

Cannot believe they would miss the spare wheel opportunity of giving customers what they actually want, and as for the weight/extra fuel consumption due thereto....what a shot of lite....!!!!!

Big Kev

What you plumped for may just have been the right choice.. My hanging on for the 4.4 might just have cost me the opportunity to buy one of the runout 4.3s

But things have changed. I move south in just under two months. So the 4.3 with its apparent thirst for fuel would have less of an impact on the overall running of a car due to my mileage about to tumble from roughly 25 to 30K per year to less than half.

My dealer indicated there was no problem getting hold of a 4.3SR in white if I wanted one. It seems from comments above that may not be the case...

I really think its a case of looking closely at the options available on the new car when it arrives.. So many things to consider...

Economy for one... If it has as we know the 2.2 current engine then economy will likely be about the same..

If its more car like then that will suit some but not others.

Spare wheel.. Well I guess some of us have just got used to not having one and while yes it would be a bonus it aint the end of the world..

Sunroof... MMmmm Am I the only one that loves a sunroof ? We shall again have to see what we are given..

I reckon all the boot liner bits could be bought from the USA. Even with duty it will probably be cheaper than buying here anyway. The well looks deep enough for a full size wheel.

2013-RAV4_zps929aff8a.jpg

I reckon all the boot liner bits could be bought from the USA. Even with duty it will probably be cheaper than buying here anyway. The well looks deep enough for a full size wheel.

2013-RAV4_zps929aff8a.jpg

Only yesterday. WHILST SOUNDPROOFING THAT VERY SAME AREA VERY SUCCESSFULLY (Patent Applied For.....), that was exactly my train of thought.....spare wheel would go in there?

Silenter Rav Kev

No. There is a cross brace on the suspension that makes it too small on UK RAVs.

No. There is a cross brace on the suspension that makes it too small on UK RAVs.

Well......would it be big enough to carry a DEFLATED Bridgestone Runflat.......? Then ah could get home at 50mph.........

Cannot believe that I would even think this joke let alone type it......sorry.......

Sunroof... MMmmm Am I the only one that loves a sunroof ? We shall again have to see what we are given..

You may be pleasantly suprised........... ;)

I liked having a sunroof in our old 4.3, it made the three days of sunshine we had in 2009 and two days in 2010 so much more enjoyable. I would invest in a 4.4 with a roof, just incase the sun ever comes out again.

I would invest in a 4.4 with a roof......

You mean as opposed to the convertible model? :laughing:

Going back to the commens about the Suzuki GV having the spare wheel reintroduced on the back door, while I was at Suzuki today, I had a brief discussion about this and they said it was done due to customer feedback/demand and the guy was clearly happy that it made a comeback, not least as the various alternatives to the GV have nearly all be 'de-spared' - and where I am is definitely 4x4 territory (by need, not fashion) so a spare is a desirable thing to have!

As an aside, the GV was also facelifted at the same time and the new look is very nice IMO. If they sorted out a better economy on it, then it would be very tempting, especially for those lamenting the demise of the 3 door RAV4 :)

Think I will pick up a brochure when I am back tomorrow!

Going back to the commens about the Suzuki GV having the spare wheel reintroduced on the back door, while I was at Suzuki today, I had a brief discussion about this and they said it was done due to customer feedback/demand and the guy was clearly happy that it made a comeback, not least as the various alternatives to the GV have nearly all be 'de-spared' - and where I am is definitely 4x4 territory (by need, not fashion) so a spare is a desirable thing to have!

As an aside, the GV was also facelifted at the same time and the new look is very nice IMO. If they sorted out a better economy on it, then it would be very tempting, especially for those lamenting the demise of the 3 door RAV4 :)

I have said on here before that although in a minority, I am quite comfortable without a spare on my Rav. I have used the repair kit twice and it is effective, safe and easy.

HOWEVER I took a Suzuki GV round Iceland a while back and would NOT have felt safe then without a spare!! Some places were 50/60 miles away from any civilisation, not passing another car for hour upon hour whilst driving.

NB the GV is great off road, bit less refined than the Rav, but higher clearance and more designed for the job tbh. Went through snow, water and over rocks easily.

Choice between the two? Rav would win hands down. Living in Iceland? Neither really! It would have to be a huge offroader with balloon tyres to last long!

Dave

Hey Hoov,

You are not comparing a RAV with a Vitara are you? Firstly the facelift which was just done was drawn on a !Removed! packet by an @rse who no doubt works for a French or German design studio and charges an absolute fortune. Secondly it has a Renault diesel engine which shouldn't require any further discussion but to finalise, it drives like a tractor (I know a certain guy who works on steam engines who is going to kill me!!!).

How do you get to be at a launch,can you just pop along or is it by invite as Mrs P and meself would like to see its launch,and is it at all the Toyota branches or just a select few??

Hi Paul, if you are using your local Mr.T for servicing then it's pretty likely that you'll get a mail-shot for a launch event. Their sales guys will have you in the system as well and they'll be keen to get you to trade your 4.2 against a 4.4.

It isn't an elite celeb event - I've put dozens of invites in the bin just from my existing dealer & I've only been using them for 3 years or so. I get them from the local BMW dealer even though I've only ever been in there once & picked up a brochure, although I did give them my email addy. It's all about scatter gun marketing - they invite thousands to these things knowing that if they get 20% take-up, they're doing extremely well.

Good info there Jim. Back in 2006 when we where looking for our 1st RAV, we had a look at two 4.2's at our local Mr.T. But the other half wanted a 4.1, but they where too old for the dealer. But we sounded interested so they took our details. A couple of times in the future we got sent a long list of 4.2's they could offer us. I have since had accessories from them for the 4.1 and 4.2 we have owned. I still get mail from them, the last was a 50 Year Anniversary invitation last September. So hopefully I might get a launch invite. Failing that, I'll drive up in our gleaming black 4.2, park right outside the showroom, and say "I like RAV4s you know.........."

We have Suzuki in the group, I'm not a fan of the GV, noisey and not very refined..............but a Swift Sport is another story...............

Kingo :thumbsup: