Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Head Up Display

Dram

Just swapped my 2010 Prius t spirit for a 2012t-spirit model with touch and go plus naviagtion system. Head up display does not show navigation and the button to switch- on naviagtion in HUD is now missing. HUD still shows speed and hybrid info. I miss the naviagtion in HUD as have to take eyes off the road to follow the sat nav. Have other experienced the same.

Yes that's right - a disappointing "feature" of the 2012 Prius is that the HUD no longer shows navigation arrows. On the bright side, though you can now update the new Sat Nav, and put your music on a USB stick.... so not all that bad!

A great pity, as the navigation arrows are the only thing that makes the HUD anything other than a gimmick!

Absolutely agree it having navigation arrows in the HUD whilst keeping eyes on the road was a great safety feature so cannot understand Toyota rationale for this retrograde step.

I find the HUD really useful especially having the HSI displayed.

I really miss it when driving other cars.

The touch and go system now seems to standard across the Toyota range and (as with all mainstream satnavs) doesn't support the HUD. It would cost Toyota to have touch and go satnav modified to support the HUD and it is only the gen3 Prius that has the HUD (AFAIK) so it probably isn't cost effective.

Interesting. In Finnish Toyota Prius/Prius+ brochures it states that the navigation arrows on the HUD are visible on the Premium (the best) trim level. Others will only have the HUD with speed and some other info but no nav arrows.

Seems so. I called our local Toyota dealer out of interest and this feature is only on Prius+ it seems.

Normal Prius does not have this feature anymore it seems. I wonder why.

I have a T4 without SatNav (I used a freestanding Garmin until recently, now I use my SmartPhone with GPS).

Even without SatNav integration, I love the HUD. I have it configured to show MPH and the HSI (Hybrid System Indicator). It's a brilliant way to see the key information I need while keeping my eyes on the road. Having driven the Toyota for over two years now, I think every car should have the HUD.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

You can still get the navigation in the HUD but only with Touch Pro in the Technology pack. You do however lose the ability to upgrade the maps via USB and you don't get speed cameras though speed limits do still appear on the map. I specified the Touch Pro partly for this otherwise the HUD seems pretty pointless - the speedo is only a couple of inches away.

Just swapped from an 07 Gen 2 - first impressions are it has a harder ride but the inyterior is much nicer.

otherwise the HUD seems pretty pointless - the speedo is only a couple of inches away.

The HUD is really useful for me. It shows the speedo and hybrid system indicator on the windscreen.

I use both of these as I drive and can do so without taking my eyes off the road.

I really miss it when driving the OH's yaris and have to look down and left to see the speedo.

Seems so. I called our local Toyota dealer out of interest and this feature is only on Prius+ it seems.

Normal Prius does not have this feature anymore it seems. I wonder why.

If HUD nav is still available on the Prius+ can anyone tell me how to display it? I'm starting to get frustrated with the manual as I'm finding harder to read than the instructions for my TV hard drive recorder! I can't find a menu on the touch+ screen for this. There is a button in the group of switches that controls the brightness and angle etc that says "set" but as far as I can tell this just seems to toggle on and off the "touch tracer" feature. Also, the book mentions being able to display hybrid energy info in the HUD - this would be useful as I find myself checking the power meter to see if I can stay on EV quite a lot! I can't find how to change the HUD to this either (maybe I'm not clever enough to drive one of these!)

The Prius + does not have navigation. To change between the displays, press the HUD button. It should cycle between off, speed only and speed and ECO display. If you have navigation on the Prius, there is a button marked NAV below the HUD button.

for those without a HUD, it is possible to buy one for about £90....I have one fitted in my IQ, and it gives engine revs and a GPS speed, not a speedo speed!

http://hud-e.com/shop/page/1?sessid=7BCluy6kTnnicybOxfqGSOnYKpHWZ9JOh0qaKRddwHsQpsKzXJMNuep3xSRKT82m&shop_param=

available from this website, and it plugs into the OBS socket, and is powered from that

it is a very bright unit, and can be seen in strong sunlight

greatly recommended for any car

cheers barrycoll

• Like 1

The Prius + does not have navigation. To change between the displays, press the HUD button. It should cycle between off, speed only and speed and ECO display. If you have navigation on the Prius, there is a button marked NAV below the HUD button.

On the Prius+ the HUD button is just an on/off button. The set option shows Touch tracer on/off and Temp (?) on/off.

Sorry - just pulled out the manual for the Prius + - you get the choice of Navigation (If fitted), Touch Tracer display and Temperature in addition to speed. You can customise the display by pressing the SET button when the HUD is on and you are travelling at less than 5mph. Page 258 of the manual!

That's the page I was reading. Mine does have nav and Touch&Go Plus (as an option on a T4) but despite what the manual says the nav info can't be shown. What Kithmo said agrees with my experience - the set button just allows touch tracer and temp to be on or off. I haven't worked out what the temp function does though! There doesn't seem to be an option to show the hybrid info which is a shame.

I imagine the nav setting depends on the type of navigation system one has. On the normal Prius, those with Touch and Go have lost the nav in the HUD. It is only present in the Touch Pro system which is essentially the older disc based system.

Isn't the temp the setting of the AC ?

I agree that the ECO setting would be more useful.

That's the page I was reading. Mine does have nav and Touch&Go Plus (as an option on a T4) but despite what the manual says the nav info can't be shown. What Kithmo said agrees with my experience - the set button just allows touch tracer and temp to be on or off. I haven't worked out what the temp function does though! There doesn't seem to be an option to show the hybrid info which is a shame.

The Temp ON function shows the Climate control temperature setting when you adjust it on the steering wheel.