Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problems 2.0 D4D

ghsaunders40

2 hours ago, Johan Damitha De Silva said:

Just seen the video. You have a separate issue to this thread (a clunky sound on cold days but it does start and so not a starting issue as such). Yunus I read here some of your symptoms may point to the section Car fuel system problems on https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/winter-driving/getting-started-in-the-cold/

Thank your for your advice 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I have posted my cold starting update in another thread because I have 2.2 engine (OK perhaps it was by accident!). I have recently changed to Shell' V-Power and will report back next winter by then will have done more than the recommended by BP recommendation of 6300 miles:

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Sadly after running V-Power and injector cleaner and giving it a good long distance run around France and the UK, the weather got under 14 degrees one morning and the car had take 3 goes to get going. It's now on fleebay as I don't need a headache. Gone back to petrol as we do lots of short trips.

Probably a stupid question, the new updated valve will not work unless the ECU is updated 100%? Will the car not run at all?

• 1 month later...

And just to confirm, if I get the software updated but with the old SCV, the car will still function as before?

or does the new ECU software require the updated SCV to be fitted?

Ta

You need both the SCV and the software update from a proper dealer for it to work and quote them Technical service bulletin EG-0132T-1110-EN. Otherwise the same problem because the issue is not caused by a faulty SCV. The reason for the cold starting issue is unknown by Toyota and I have lost complete faith in D4-D.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have 2008 2.0d4d  with starting issue so far I've put new glow plugs in New alternator new fuel primer on top of filter cleaned gauze in fuel tank got injectors reconditioned changed fuel pump with scv valve from my sister's same make model car to know avail no mechanic I ask seems to have a grasp of issue I've carried out all works except injectors have 12.8 volts on glow plug rail and diesel pump and scv causing no starting issue In sisters auris ????? Please help🙏 is it that I need to upgrade scv valve  if so why is the pump and scv working 100% in other auris 

No one had a faulty scv but updating it with bigger one and the software provided a hack to resolve the starting issue that remains unknown. It fixed the sytoms permanently but not the fault. But that works. So it is worth doing if the car is worth keeping.

You need an official Toyota garage to do the software and you need to speak directly to them and tell them before carrying out the work as they need to do the software. The bulletin number (for their computer with instructions) for software update and the scv  somewhere in this forum.

I could not be bothered to get it done as my car was older than yours and so scrapped mine for nice Honda petrol. I totally fell out of love for Toyota D4D.

• 5 months later...

Help!!!!

To cut the story short had the starting problem with my 2005 Avensis 2.2 D4D estate, could not get it to start eventually got is started one Saturday morning so whilst it was running took it to the garage where I have it serviced ( ex Toyota main dealer). They worked on it but couldn't get it to start without using damp start, then it would every time. They changed and checked, starter motor, EGR, injectors, Battery etc but still no joy and basically told me to scrap it. Having researched the forum I suggested the scv but they dismissed it immediately - it will flag a fault code. Not put off I asked them to check using the kettle when it was forecast to be cold in the morning.  Instead they contacted the Toyota helpline who immediately told them it was the scv failing. SCV replaced at £300+ and car starts, but now it has no guts and black smokes. Booked it into Toyota for software update ( they didn't seem interested as they hadn't fitted the scv) but reluctantly booked it in, took the car on said day only to be told that there isn't a software update for my car, rather suggesting that the car has other problems egr, injectors failing etc but ignoring the fact that the car was fine before the scv valve was replaced- no black smoke, ran fine,  pulled like a cart horse. My question is can any one tell me what the software should be for my car with the new SCV? I think the scv part no is 0422626020 but don't know what software it is running!!! 

Engine 2AD-FDV

I recommend a copy of Techstream, with that and a mongoose cable you can find out all kinds of information including what version of firmware you're running. I avoided using it to do the update though, and had the dealer do it. If you want to go that route, you can download the firmware from toyota-tech.eu.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

To answer your specific question, the dealer will normally just flash the latest firmware, which you can get as I mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, catchbob said:

Help!!!!

To cut the story short had the starting problem with my 2005 Avensis 2.2 D4D estate, could not get it to start eventually got is started one Saturday morning so whilst it was running took it to the garage where I have it serviced ( ex Toyota main dealer). They worked on it but couldn't get it to start without using damp start, then it would every time. They changed and checked, starter motor, EGR, injectors, battery etc but still no joy and basically told me to scrap it. Having researched the forum I suggested the scv but they dismissed it immediately - it will flag a fault code. Not put off I asked them to check using the kettle when it was forecast to be cold in the morning.  Instead they contacted the Toyota helpline who immediately told them it was the scv failing. SCV replaced at £300+ and car starts, but now it has no guts and black smokes. Booked it into Toyota for software update ( they didn't seem interested as they hadn't fitted the scv) but reluctantly booked it in, took the car on said day only to be told that there isn't a software update for my car, rather suggesting that the car has other problems egr, injectors failing etc but ignoring the fact that the car was fine before the scv valve was replaced- no black smoke, ran fine,  pulled like a cart horse. My question is can any one tell me what the software should be for my car with the new SCV? I think the scv part no is 0422626020 but don't know what software it is running!!! 

Engine 2AD-FDV

"but now it has no guts and black smokes" first thought on those symptoms is sticking EGR, that can happen seemingly suddenly - check it and clean it

• 3 months later...

So I have been reading this thread as I have an issue with my Toyota Auris 2.0 d4d. I bought it just recently thinking I got a bargain. 

Since buying it, the car will not start until turned over numerous times. My father in law took the air filter and tried it that way, and it started up (when it’s running, it drives fine) So I replaced the air filter and it does start within about 3 turnovers rather than 15. 

Looking at this thread, it seems to me that the SCV could be the problem? 

My usual mechanic tested with diagnostics but nothing came up. 

This is all frustrating me, as I scrapped my old car to buy this ‘reliable’ one. 

Many help or suggestions would be very much appreciated as I haven’t got the money to spend hundreds on the car. 

You bought from private seller, or from a dealer, and how long ago did you get it?

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have an Avensis  ADT251 (2.2 D4D, 2AD-FTV) and Ive got exactly  same issues with SCV. 

Cleaned it couple of times by applying electrical pulses (10 pulses/sec) in carburetor cleaner liquid , changed O-rings, cleaned EGR two times, Intake manifold, but after a while problems came back and I thing I need to replace the SCV and reflash the engine ECU. 

post-64213-139569652681.thumb.jpg.aa94f39d070426dd64b0a9de62eee71a.jpg

According to EG-0132T-1110-EN and older posts from this topic I have to buy a new part 04226-26020  which whould look like the "New SCV" with 90°, Adapter and washer, right? 

post-71933-0-26880700-1360098621.thumb.jpg.96093cb41bbef3515926840c8f7bc254.jpg

But when I look for this part  04226-26020  on any other car parts retailer, I get an exactly "Old Compact SCV" and the "New SCV" has next ordering code:  04226-0L020  which seems to be a part only for ADT250 (2.0 D4D) engines. 

Please, can anybody make it clear for me? Am I missing some piece of information?  

Is the New SCV suitable also for 2.2 D4D ? 

Thank you ! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2018 at 8:10 PM, Yunus BOZKURT said:

So I come back after my ECU update after changing my SCV valve. And for me it doesn't change anything.

I'm going to list the operations that I made to solve my cold start problem:

1. I changed my fuel filter with an original Toyota fuel filter. 

2 I changed my glow plugs with 4 new denso glow plugs 

3 I changed my SCV valve with a new original Toyota SCV valve.

4. I went to Toyota to update the ECU.

And all theses operations didn't change anything to my cold start problem.

My car is a 2013 Toyota verso. 2.0 d4d 124. And I have 119000 km 75000 miles. I don't have any lights on or any problems with my car.

If someone have an idea, I will be happy...

Have you fixed your car yet 

• 11 months later...

I’ve been quoted £620 for new valve and update from Toyota in Edinburgh Obviously I am mortified . This is my first and last diesel Toyota.

3 hours ago, FraserG said:

I’ve been quoted £620 for new valve and update from Toyota in Edinburgh Obviously I am mortified . This is my first and last diesel Toyota.

You can fit the valve yourself, and ask someone from the forum to program it for you. It's just 2 screws.

The program used is Toyota Techstream, if you have a laptop, you can buy the adapter cable for 15 GBP, and they ship a copy of the software with it (from eBay, albeit pirated copy, but functional).

I would try this approach, as it's definitely cheaper than Toyota.

Many thanks for this response. I’m going to look into this. This forum is a wonderful source of relevant/reliable information.. 
Toyota should step up and replace SCV & do update for standard fee. It’s obviously a very common problem. 

Car now starts first time ,every time. I filled the tank with BP Ultimate Diesel and added some Wynns Formula Gold for good measure. 
I have a starting routine. Somebody mentioned it before.
1. Ignition on, light off.  Ignition off.

2. Ignition on, light off ,pump  throttle pedal couple times. Ignition off.

3. Start as per normal.

Regards

• 2 months later...

It worked for couple weeks. Now it seems to be worse .I’m only using the car once a week, maybe that’s relevant. Regardless,  I’m selling the car ASAP( when it’s warmer).

• 8 months later...

Try cleaning maf sensor these diesel toyotas really are junk have one unfortunately 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2014 at 9:00 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Best get your car booked into Toyota as there is updated ECU software to be installed along with the modified valve, otherwise the valve may not operate well for long, you will need minimum software version 302v0000

Hi,

I have the problem related in this thread with an Avensis T25 126cv.

I already ordered the modified scv valve.

The problem is, I spoke with two different Toyota mechanics, they both said it's impossible to fix a start problem on cold weather by updating the ECU, so I'll have to be specific.

The only version of the EG-0132T-1110 I could find is in Deutch, which makes it harder for me to understand. It seems the Avensis firmwares numbers starts by 305B.... so I'm a bit confused.

Do I also need firmware number: 302v0000 for an Avensis?

Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Brilliant thread. Given me a good idea about what the issue is with my car.

So my understanding is that the best way to ‘fix’ this issue is to have the new adapted SCV fitted and have the ECU updated by Toyota. One question I have though is….. if I swapped like for like (I.e. fitted a new original old style compact SCV) would this provide a short term fix?