Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Gaiter Has Become Dislodged

peterfoster

Got a Celica 1.8 VVTTI Premnium Blue 2005.

Of late, the black "sort of" rubberised, black, blue-stiched gaiter which surrounds the gear stick has become dislodged from the consol so that there is now a gap all the round it between it and the consol through which you can see all the "gubbins" of the gear change. This is clearly not an ideal situation because not only does it look unsightly but it carries the potential for damage to the gearbox area should an occupant of the car spill coffee there.... The gaiter itself does not appear to be damaged. It seems to have some metal rods which have been sewn into the four sides of it which should in some way clip into something but has become detached. The car had its annual service and MOT at the Toyota main agent yesterday so I mentioned it and was told it would cost £150 to rectify including parts, labour and VAT. Can members suggest and more cost-effective strategy for me to pursue? Thanks.

Simple fix.

Unscrew gearknob

Pull up the trim by the gear stick.

Lift gaitor of gearstick

Click gaitor back into place from under the trim

Do the reverse to fit.

Mr.T is just ripping you off. This is a 5 minute job that requires NO new parts!

• Like 1

Hi there

As Lee says simple fix but I've been fixing mine lots of times but it comes loose again and again so for now I've just pulled the gaitor through the hole and leave it setting on top until I can think of an alternative this will protect the gear linkage for now,

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Simple fix.

Unscrew gearknob

Pull up the trim by the gear stick.

Lift gaitor of gearstick

Click gaitor back into place from under the trim

Do the reverse to fit.

Mr.T is just ripping you off. This is a 5 minute job that requires NO new parts!

Apologies for not getting back earlier.

Thanks for your instructions which were spot on. The plastic trim lifts off easily enough if you use your finger nails. (The piece of plastic trim in question is the bit with surrounds the cigar lighter, ashtray, electric windows button and door locking button.) The gaiter mechanism has two small sort-of black plastic clips either side of it and these click into place. The whole job took about a minute and a half. I must confess to being really angry with the Toyota main agent in Chelmsford who wanted to charge me £125 for the job, insisting that it needed a new part. Just for the record, these rip-off merchants are Lancaster Toyota of 2 Argyle Road, Chelmsford. I can't imagine why they thought they could get away with it. I'ts not as though I'm a woman or anything....

Many thanks, edwardio.

i can agree with everyone above and if it persists do what i did and super glue it into place then it wont become dislodged again lol

• 3 years later...

Thanks Edwardio.

Really helpful instructions. I have just done it with no problems.