Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leak Inside Roof Of Aygo, Near Boot & Boot Seals Been Changed!

sammyjayne2000

Hello,

I have a 2006 toyota sport. In november last year i noticed the roof (where roof meets boot) was sodden wet the whole width of car - back window to back window. Pressuming it was boot seal and garage changed this last momth and all was fine. It rained at the weekend and the wet patch is back! The water starts to spread crom centre back and as rain persisits the water spreads out evenly ldft and right. This clearly is jot boot seal. Could it be the brake light leaking?

Any help would be appreciated!,

Sam

Brake lights common aswell as other items wouldnt hurt to slightly pull back roof lining at the back and shut yourself in the boot with someone watering the brake light should be fairly.noticeable. Hope this helps sam

Also common if parking on an incline for the aerial base to leak and make its way down the roof lining and gathers at the rear which can be checked in the same way

Kurt

• 1 month later...

I've just received £5k back from my retailer having taken them to court over their repeated failure to fix a water-leak problem I have had since my 2009 Aygo Blue was delivered. Don't waste your time here. They don't know what the problem is let alone how to fix it!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

The upper brake light seal was the problem with my Aygo sport, unscrewed the lamp, bit of seam sealer has never leaked since, and that was three years ago.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Our 2006 3dr Aygo was filling up with water in passenger footwell. Fitted new door seals £120, still leaking! Got my wife to pour water around passenger door & noticed water on the inner side of door seal, about 3" back along the horizontal from the hinge side.

Door card removed & found that water running down front window guide (inside door, as it should do) was hitting cable (for window switch) & splashing thru' a door card 'popper' hole, allowing water into the car. I fitted a blanking grommet in the hole & sealed it with mastic. Job's a good 'un & has not leaked with days of heavy rain over Xmas 2013 !

• Like 1

Check out my posts elsewhere on here ie: Starting problems/accelerator racing away and you will see my leaks as well. I had to seal the Rear brake light in the roof area with silicone sealant!!! I think I have fixed ut not convinced totally, next stop is rear lightclusters. I have also been told by Toyota tech that there are two vents behind the rear bumper unit in the bodywork that let in water as well. Aygo is like a sieve if you ask me (water leaks and more problems than any car I have owned in 30 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just found out that my Gear select actuator has fault with a quote of £1250 to replace!!!!! This is a car with 30,000 genuine miles on the clock and well looked after.

Unfortunately the Aygo is basically a French car, it has a high Peugeot/citreon content so it's only as reliable as their other products.

I would have to say why do Toyota go into partnership with car manufacture that will drag their reliability down , and the answer to that is cost, if you cut corners, reliability suffers.

I always felt if you bought a Toyota built in Japan ,it was better screwed together,sadly those days have all but gone,they are building Toyota in every corner of the world were labour rates are cheaper, and going into partnership with many new manufactures.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the Aygo is basically a French car, it has a high Peugeot/citreon content so it's only as reliable as their other products.

I would have to say why do Toyota go into partnership with car manufacture that will drag their reliability down , and the answer to that is cost, if you cut corners, reliability suffers.

I always felt if you bought a Toyota built in Japan ,it was better screwed together,sadly those days have all but gone,they are building Toyota in every corner of the world were labour rates are cheaper, and going into partnership with many new manufactures.

The Aygo/107/C1 is a product of the joint venture between Toyota and PSA (Peugeot/Citroen), which shared design and development costs between the two manufacturers. The Aygo/107/C1 are built at the Toyota/PSA joint venture factory in the Czech Republic.

The 1 litre petrol engines are supplied by Toyota Poland, and the 1.4 diesel engines (dropped from the Aygo in 2008) were supplied by PSA - the diesel engines being a joint venture between Ford and PSA.

Toyota Aygo has never been sold or built in Japan - being for the European market only.

My experience of Toyota cars built in the UK (2006 Corolla, 2009 Auris and 2012 Auris) is that build quality is a match for Toyotas built in Japan.

Our 2006 3dr Aygo was filling up with water in passenger footwell. Fitted new door seals £120, still leaking! Got my wife to pour water around passenger door & noticed water on the inner side of door seal, about 3" back along the horizontal from the hinge side.

Door card removed & found that water running down front window guide (inside door, as it should do) was hitting cable (for window switch) & splashing thru' a door card 'popper' hole, allowing water into the car. I fitted a blanking grommet in the hole & sealed it with mastic. Job's a good 'un & has not leaked with days of heavy rain over Xmas 2013 !

So, bouyant from fixing this leak, I wondered why the car was still damp & mouldy, so looked into boot & there was about 5mm of water in the spare wheel well :-( Checked out the rear light clusters & top brake light, all good, so it had to be the door seal, so not wanting to pay a 'squillion' quid for a new one, I removed it & put a line of black mastic around the metal flange & refitted seal. I also put a line of mastic around the seal, after fitting, where it meets the car. Wait a mo', whats this, roof lining is soaking from rear to 1/2 way to front. This is where most of the water went when it was leaking past the boot seal. Dont try to remove the lining, as those helpful manufacturers have glued it in, tho' you can put about 12" back & it was 'dripping' off the metal roof, onto the liner. 2 days have now passed & the boot is dry'ish BUT still see some water :-(

• 2 weeks later...

next leak! Rust 'pimples' on outside of NSR wheel arch. Removed internal panels, looks like water getting thru window seal & running down inside wheel arch. Also looks like a crude attempt has been made to put mastic in that area on the inside (manufacturers or garage?). Filled area around inner of glass with black mastic. Rained overnite & not sure I got a good seal, so today 'bit the bullet' & ran a bead of mastic around outer side of glass. Looks good & difficult to detect. Also, after replacing door seals, I am experimenting with using old seal as replacement tailgate seal. Will update soon on that.

next leak! Rust 'pimples' on outside of NSR wheel arch. Removed internal panels, looks like water getting thru window seal & running down inside wheel arch, could also have been around inner of fuel cap moulding as mastic there too. Looks like a crude attempt has been made to put mastic in that area on the inside of rust (manufacturers or garage?). Filled area around inner of glass with black mastic. Rained overnite & not sure I got a good seal, so today 'bit the bullet' & ran a bead of mastic around outer side of glass. Looks good & difficult to detect. Also, after replacing door seals, I am experimenting with using old seal as replacement tailgate seal. Will update soon on that.

Using old door seal on tailgate was not straight forward. I manually pressed metal insert on seal together & fitted it & cut it to length BUT it was clear that the glass tailgate was too 'springy' against the seal, so not wanting to give up, I removed the seal, got a long length of fence wire (end folded over) & passed it thru' the void in the seal & then attached it to a length of nylon rope (got in Lidl ~9mm dia') & pulled it thru the seal. I refitted the seal, used Screwfix black sanitory mastic (£2,24) & sealed it where it met the car. Fingers crossed, looking OK so far.

• 4 weeks later...

well welcome to the club, i have a 58 reg aygo and have read all the posts, removed and resealed the high level brake light both light clusters new boot seal ,result still leaking,then i thought it must be from the boot lid hinges,removed the boot pumped in a load of black silicone sealant both below and above the original rubber seal refitted the glass boot lid and the result dry as a bone, i think like me it is a matter of trial and error to find which one of the possible entry points is giving you trouble as reading the blogs there are many options .

• 5 years later...

Ours is still leaking into the offside rear boot. I have removed a lot of trim for access and find that the water seems to be coming in from above the reat light. I have re-sealed the high brake light. I am at a loss!

4 hours ago, JohnPDerby said:

Ours is still leaking into the offside rear boot. I have removed a lot of trim for access and find that the water seems to be coming in from above the reat light. I have re-sealed the high brake light. I am at a loss!

On either side near the lamps are 2 rubber stoppers these can let water in 

On 2/16/2014 at 9:25 PM, malcolm adi said:

well welcome to the club, i have a 58 reg aygo and have read all the posts, removed and resealed the high level brake light both light clusters new boot seal ,result still leaking,then i thought it must be from the boot lid hinges,removed the boot pumped in a load of black silicone sealant both below and above the original rubber seal refitted the glass boot lid and the result dry as a bone, i think like me it is a matter of trial and error to find which one of the possible entry points is giving you trouble as reading the blogs there are many options .

Hi all

I agree with Malcom...def a case of trial and error...and completing 1 job at a time to see if it cures it otherwise move on to the next one!

It'll be 2 years soon that I've owned my 2008 aygo still 56k on the clock but has been as dry as a bone since...until the other day I noticed only a small patch of wet carpet on the drivers side inside my boot..only noticed because I took my boot liner out to clean. Upon lifting the carpet noticed a very small amount of water sitting. I'm yet to investigate.

Have a feeling it might be my rear light cluster as we upgraded them to the newer glassy look off the models newer. Must be the seal or I over tightened the retaining bolt...who knows.

Best of luck. Keep us posted. We're all in the same boat!!!!