Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please: Smoking T180

sailor50

Get back on to your warranty company and tell them it hasn't worn out it has failed. The @rseholes always wriggle when it comes to this sort of thing.

Get back on to your warranty company and tell them it hasn't worn out it has failed. The @rseholes always wriggle when it comes to this sort of thing.

Exactly - it was working, now it isn't.

I agree with the above two comments ..

Wear and tear should only apply if the car has done spaceship mileage.. If it has then the argument doesn't carry much weight .. But if the car has done less than say 12 to 15.000 miles per annum it a failure not wear and tear !

Threaten them with litigation !

I hate used car warranties !

Good luck ...

I will fight it, but I need my car, so I am getting it fixed. It's a good one though, if they don't cover wear and tear, they never pay out. I'm clearly in the wrong job, I have to actually work to earn my money!

Apparently because I have driven a few miles since I rang them and asked how to claim, it's wear and tear. So, if the gearbox went, would that be wear and tear, maybe I shouldn't change gear in case! The fact that I sometimes left a smoke screen behind me clearly means it's just wearing out. How long would a turbo be expected to last?

It's a 2006 with 87,600 ish on the clock, so I make that 14,000 per year, sounds pretty average mileage to me.

I will be fighting my corner, just need to be back on the road asap, so getting it sorted and dealing with them at the same time. I feel lost without my car, Yateley is not the best place to be without your own vehicle.

Charlie yours is a 2006, if yours is ok can we swap? :rolleyes:

I don't think 87K should be the life of a turbo..

Your argument should be..

87 K is simply not sufficient mileage to wear out a turbo

Wear and tear usually applies to items like brake pads discs clutches exhausts and things that wear out with normal use.

As far as I'm aware no one here on this forum has had a replacement turbo on a a 4.3 Rav so they are not an item usually affected by wear at any mileage let alone sub 100K..

What I can tell you is that if you complain to the Insurance Ombudsman (Remember you have in effect purchased an insurance policy in the form of a warranty ) Then that complaint will cost the insurer an absolute Minimum of £500 as its the Insurance company or party that pick up the bill for the investigation..

So threaten them with the Ombudsman.. They would be daft to ignore you..

You also have recourse through small claims court as the cost will be well within the limits.. Again this will mean cost on their behalf but a minimum cost to you and your liability's are limited so they will know that only one party can loose IE them !!

Put it ALL in writing and keep a record of all letters ect and keep copies... Its amazing what being a pain in the aris can achieve !

Thanks Charlie, excellent advice. I will start with the letters, and I always keep copies of any correspondence, especially for something like this. My husband is not impressed either, so over the weekend I will start hassling them.

You will have to support it with some service information. If for example an owner missed 3 oil changes, that might effect the life of the turbo so just get all your ducks in a row first.

It has full Toyota service history, so it should be perfect Don

and people wonder why I'm always saying off the peg warranties are a pile of steaming dog doo!

The reason your claim is being denied is simple. Your warranty covers the turbo for failure, sudden and unforeseen catastrophic failure that stops the vehicle from operating, if it had gone bang, it probably would be covered. The fact you can drive the car means it has not failed. Don't shoot the messenger please, I have dealt with these so called warranties for all my 36 years in the job. You really need to read the policy wording before going off to an ombudsman, there will be a process you need to follow, and that process will be in the warranty document. You MUST follow the greivence procedure, otherwise you wont get anywhere. Get the service history together, follow the complaints procedure, and also copy in all these details to the company you bought the car off, you may have a claim against them for supplying goods not of a merchantable quality. State to the people you bought the car off (is it the same people fixing the car??) your are not happy and that a major componant has failed in only 3 months, and what do they propose is done about it. You may have more luck in persuing a claim that way. The insurance policy is secondary to the Sale of Goods Act

From my point of view, whilst it is completely unfair, you will have little claim against the used car waranty IF they have followed procedure correctly and identified the part is not covered because it did not go "bang"

ANYONE reading this and telling me Manufacturer extended warranties are too expensive, will now know the value of them, they are like for like cover and NOT insurance based so you dont get all this hassle. I know this does not help you, sorry to have to mention it but off the peg warranties have as much appeal to me as something stuck in the groove of my trainers, they are a waste of money, I have not seen one that is worth the paper it is written on

Good luck, keep us informed. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE, write to the garage you bought it off TODAY tell them what you want (the cost of replacing the turbo) and a timeline to sort it out, say 28 days. Advise them they have sold a car which is not of merchantable quality. Be firm, be polite, all the best

Kingo

If it is any help, my T180 is in excess of 92,000 miles at the turbo is fine, so you're below my mileage, and below a friend at work who has a 2007 T180 with over 110,000 miles, and his turbo is fine

Kingo: thank you for all that info, as soon as I've walked the dogs and called into Toyota Sandhurst to hopefully get a detailed service history, I will be writing to the garage.

Niall: thanks for that also, it's all ammunition. Where abouts in Hampshire are you?

Kingo... I appreciate your points and agree that most used car warranties are useless. I'm also fully aware that in the small print that the Turbo will be excluded in its present condition....

But... The use of the Insurance Ombudsman will cost the insurance company a minimum of £500.. This they will know and if its held up to them that this is what is going to happen they will at least I hope consider their options..

Not for a second do I think they will stump up in full but they may just consider a contribution which I think is likely. Its worth a try at least..

Charlie you have to go through due process, the Ombudsman will not entertain you if you have not gone through the complaints procedure. The Ombudsman is only there to adjudicate as a "last resort" The OP may very well put in a complaint and the warranty company roll over and pay up (fingers crossed) If you go straight to the Ombudsman, he will want all the details, and the claim has not even been put to the complaints department yet. YES if all else fails and you have been written to denying your claim you have the right to go to the Ombudsman, but not before due process has taken place. These things take time, follow the complaints procedure in the warranty booklet first

I think the OP has a better chance by trying to get some money out of the selling garage, it might be a contribution but better than nowt

Kingo

• Like 1

Kingo: thank you for all that info, as soon as I've walked the dogs and called into Toyota Sandhurst to hopefully get a detailed service history, I will be writing to the garage.

Niall: thanks for that also, it's all ammunition. Where abouts in Hampshire are you?

Well south of you, top end of Waterlooville. If you're selling, its Horndean, if you're buying is Lovedean.

My T180 is looked after by Universal vehicles in Horndean, who have done the 70, 80 and 90 services, and the 70 was effectively a big service because I didn't trust the trader who I bought the car from. Universal look after our XT5 and looked after our Daihatsu YRV which went to son when I got the T180 (it had 110,000 miles when it was handed over).

Ah - doggies - hope you've got the fixed rear barrier, our collie lurcher would force his way through the flexible one, followed by the boxer/dalmatian. The Chi Yorkie cross can get through anyway, its just the german spitz who is too short to escape.

When I got my T180, i looked at two in the PomP area. One had 90,000 miles or so (and a tow bar), the other 62,000. The 90 had only had major services done, with the trader claiming the service history was accurate and the cars didn't need 10k oil changes. I checked, especially because our XT5 is 10/20 as are all the other Toyota's I'd had, and walked away when I had it confirmed it was supposed to be 10k oil change. Too much to risk because I want to hold onto the car, so I bought the 62,000 mile T180 instead even though it didn't have the tow bar.

I did think to ask if you'd bought your T180 in August last year (which is when that other T180 was around) but I didn't because I was sure it as an 08

Lock yer cars all youz Hampshire Englanders.....

I will shortly be spending a week in Medstead.....near where they filmed Deliverance........taking my guitar and searching out ugly banjo players.......has Kingo got a banjo.....?

I will shortly be spending a week in Medstead.....near where they filmed Deliverance........taking my guitar and searching out ugly banjo players.......has Kingo got a banjo.....?

Medstead - home of Watercress line? Oh dear...

You need to get into the south downs itself to see Barn owls, badgers, bambis and so forth. If you want good (and I mean GOOD) food - go down the A32 to the George & Falcon (Warnford) or the Roebuck (just north of Wickham). My favourites are the White Hart in Denmead, Chairmakers (Denmead), Horse & Jockey (Denmead).

Oh - and I was born north of watford - and can swear in the gaelic

.......has Kingo got a banjo.....?

No, but many an old tune has been played on this fiddle :naughty:

Oh dear. Should we be worried? :unsure:

Coming to a town near you........He's big, mean, it's Big_Kev in his clean RAV machine :lol: be afraid........very afraid, just watch yourself if he offers to whip out his 6 strings :blush:

Gulp: better tell us what we're looking for. Colour, reg, etc, any distinguishing features. Maybe exactly when! :jawdrop:

Coming to a town near you........He's big, mean, it's Big_Kev in his clean RAV machine :lol: be afraid........very afraid, just watch yourself if he offers to whip out his 6 strings :blush:

Clean? What's that? That's what rain is for

Gulp: better tell us what we're looking for. Colour, reg, etc, any distinguishing features. Maybe exactly when! :jawdrop:

Look for someone like this.........in a clean RAV with a record player (yeah I know pppfffff) under one arm and a guitar under the other, thats him to a tee!!

dandy_2310043b.jpg

Just coming down for the party at Judith's whilst they are in Wales......certainly won't be stealing the turbo oot her car though......lol.

Party at mine! Perhaps I should stay. You'll have to get past my sons, plus their dog and cat.

Turbo probably out by now, recon one being delivered Monday morning, if old one not ready to hand over there's a £1,000 surcharge. Oddly enough they don't want to pay it. Don't think it's going anywhere for a few days. Look forward to getting it back Wednesday.