Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please: Smoking T180

sailor50

Dare we ask what a replacement turbo costs ?

It's a reconditioned turbo, Toyota were the cheapest. It's gonna cost me about £1600 plus oil, etc.

In Wales now till Tuesday, hoping to chill out while hubby gets in his tractor and cuts the hedges. I'm gonna crack the whip and make sure he gets it done. Weather looks perfect for hedge cutting. Dogs in their element, they love it here.

Have a good weekend all. ;-)

It's the turbo!! Garage getting quotes, oddly enough so far Toyota are the cheapest. Unfortunately though there are none in the UK, so going to take 2-3 days to get here. Deep joy!!

Luckily we are off to our place in South Wales for a long weekend, so can do without it for a few days. We'll obviously have to use hubby's car. Our sons get the house to themselves for a while

I've just bought a 2006 T180 on 63k.

Just wondered if your engine management light came on any time..

Or was slow to go out on start up?

I'll mention again - my 08 T180 had 62 when I got it (currently at just 0v34 92) and a firend at work had his 07 from new and he's over 110k miles - they should not fail at such low mileages

Hi Paul, no and no. The engine management light has never come on, and it was never slow to start. It's been running as normal, just every so often when I was accelerating a cloud of white smoke obliterated the vehicle behind me. Very embarrassing, and slightly worrying.

Hi Niall, Yes I agree with you. 87/88k is nothing these days.

My agenda today is: walk the dogs. Then, letters to the warranty company, the garage I bought it off, and last, but not least, Toyota. I do not intend to let any of them get away with it. My RAV has been serviced when it should have been, all by Toyota main dealers.

I am pretty miffed at paying out what I consider to be a lot of money, to then have it need major repair 3 months later. Watch this space: they have picked on the wrong person if they try to wriggle out of it. All of them!

I'll mention again - my 08 T180 had 62 when I got it (currently at just 0v34 92) and a firend at work had his 07 from new and he's over 110k miles - they should not fail at such low mileages

Thanks Namead..I can now sleep at night ha.

Judith hope you get sorted and have many years of trouble free motoring ;~}

Thanks, I hope so too. I bought it because Toyota are one of 2 most reliable cars. They have yet to prove that to me.

Thanks, I hope so too. I bought it because Toyota are one of 2 most reliable cars. They have yet to prove that to me.

Toyotas are without doubt the most reliable and cheapest cars I've run. I had BMW's for many years and they just more and mor eexpensive, and Citroens - well, after putting a new engine in one at 41k with full dealer service history - never again

Yippee!! I've got my RAV back. Boy is it going well

Yippee!! I've got my RAV back. Boy is it going well

Sssshhhh, Judiff......don't count yer chickens until the bird flies out the bush crying over spilt milk......nice and easy does it, let engine warm up nice and gradually, and absolute besta luck....hope it's fixeded.

Big Kev

Wasn't pushing it, it just wanted to go. I could feel the power. The turbo must have been on the way out when I bought it.

Was reading the RAV versus Outlander the other day, hubby bought an Outlander a few weeks after I got my RAV, they seemed very similar to me. Until I drove home this afternoon. Now I understand the answers! ;-)

Wasn't pushing it, it just wanted to go. I could feel the power. The turbo must have been on the way out when I bought it.

Was reading the RAV versus Outlander the other day, hubby bought an Outlander a few weeks after I got my RAV, they seemed very similar to me. Until I drove home this afternoon. Now I understand the answers! ;-)

Outlander is a Bentley on the motorways.......and a Bent Shot on smaller roads. Just gave a friend his back after 3 weeks in my charge.....I have previously said enough hereon............

Paul's happy with his. I know which I prefer. We'll be going in mine to Wales the weekend after next! It will be interesting to see if new turbo has any effect on the mpg.

It will if you grow horns and wear your diving boots!!!

You will find it smokes a little when it sucks in boy racers through the radiator grill and spits them out the back.

You will find it smokes a little when it sucks in boy racers through the radiator grill and spits them out the back.

Lol I'd better grow horns and buy some diving? boots then. I can cope with it smoking a little as I show the boy racers what a car should really go like. Bring it on!!

Lol I'd better grow horns and buy some diving? boots then. I can cope with it smoking a little as I show the boy racers what a car should really go like. Bring it on!!

Glad your fixed up now Sailor50

Not sure T180s a match for boy racers ha

But thats not why we own them.

Its about the superb spec,reliability (cough)and comfort..

But you still have that bit of extra power to use now and again.

I've just come from a golf R32..the hard ride and high maintenance costs just got too much to bear.

BUT it is a great car, fast, and a superb M'way cruiser. and tbh the mpg is similar to the T180.

After now owning both ..the T180 easily comes out on top,was expecting slightly better mpg but I can live with that.

Ok, letters written and posted to garage, warranty morons and Toyota. We will see what happens!

Update: Took my RAV to Wales this weekend. Horrendous journey there, it happens a couple of times over a year. Car ran well. Much quieter on the way back, had been on cruise control for quite a few miles, then roadworks and lots of slow traffic.

As I was slowing down, the damn thing spewed out a considerable of white smoke again. Although it was difficult to see in the dark, I think some of the time there was a small amount of white smoke as I was driving along.

I thought it was sorted. I guess it's back to the garage tomorrow and see what they have to say. I am beginning to regret ever buying this car.

And, no, I have had no replies from anyone yet.

:-(

Oh dear..I can understand how disheartening this must be for you when you rightly assume its been fixed...I've been through it a few times with other cars.
But just hang fire to see what MrT has to say,it might not be as bad as you think..
And in any case the new turbo and its fitting will be covered under warranty.
Its all the associated hastle with the dealer thats a pain though.

I don't think it's the turbo. When I stopped at the traffic lights coming off the motorway, there was a smell I thought was diesel, but hubby thought was smoke. I wonder whether it is the 5th injector? I'm no expert, just a gut feeling

It will spew out smoke when regenerating, that is normal. Are you getting the unburnt diesel smell?

How much smoke does it spew out? Mine was enough for a guy to wave at us, get us to wind down a window, and tell us. As if I hadn't seen it! Yes, there was definitely a diesel type smell, but 40 or so miles later, when I stopped for traffic lights.

If this is normal then surely I would see other cars doing the same, I can't say I've noticed any. I am taking it back to the garage this morning to see what they have to day. Preferably the mechanic not the guy on the desk.

Cars: love em and hate em

Hi Judith, Hi friends

All these things were happening to me as well almost since i got the car in 2006.

I feel you 100%.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links