Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is It My Imagination?

firemac

Our 02-reg vvti auto (I'll need to re-christen both cars with BK-ish names) is 10.5 years old with just over 82K on the clock. Runs great, no issues except......................

It seems to be getting harsh & noisy in the suspension area. It still drives like new (well, just as good as the 54-reg with 57K up) or as good an impression of new as a 10+ year old car with 82K miles can muster. No rattles, no sloppiness in the steering, no excessive body roll, no wallowing; in fact, it drives really nice. But it sounds like it maybe could do with some new bushes in the supension maybe?

I'm thinking maybe some nice new Poly (PU) bushes although I've read on some 4X4 forums that they can make the ride really noisy; that would kind of defeat the purpose although I believe that you can get them in varying degrees of flex/softness.

As I say, it drives just fine but it's the harshness that wasn't there before - or at least I didn't notice it.

Am I imagining things or have any other owners of older 4.2's experienced this? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Watch out for "familiarity breeds contempt" Jim.......also the old addage if it aint broke don't fix it. Depending on the AGE of the tyres, almost regardless of mileage, the compound will harden and transmit more road noise than previously IMHO.

Watch out for "familiarity breeds contempt" Jim.......also the old addage if it aint broke don't fix it. Depending on the AGE of the tyres, almost regardless of mileage, the compound will harden and transmit more road noise than previously IMHO.

That's a good point, BK.

The tyres are Duellers and seem to last forever, I think this set have been on maybe 4-5 years? - could be they are starting to go off. Certainly the Coopers on the 3-dr are less than 2 yrs old.

Might it be a better idea to replace those bushes with OE ones ? I have heard that Polly bushes can be a bit stiff ? Might make the ride harder ? Just a thought Jim .

my 52 plate vvti is on 136k and on duellers and i've no suspension noise, just like yours ,drives like a new'un.

Its not down to this cold spell of dry weather we are having lately is it Jim on the tyres??

You cannot get many of the suspension bushes on their own Jim, they were never made to buy seperatly, you have to buy complete arms in most cases. You can get A/R bar bushes and thats about it

Kingo :thumbsup:

Might it be a better idea to replace those bushes with OE ones ? I have heard that Polly bushes can be a bit stiff ? Might make the ride harder ? Just a thought Jim .

Yea, that was a concern, Charlie. And have you seen the prices of full car sets of PU's? !Removed! terrifying, or maybe I'm just badly out of touch, not having done any mechanicing on my cars in years (co. Cars & that) apart from weekly fluid & tyre pressure checks/top-ups.

Hi Jim,

Our 2003 Spanish car now has 132000 kms and we have owned it for 5 years. No change in the suspension at all, but as tyres wear, this definitely increases rear road noise. We are due to change tyres soon, and will try to find Yokohamas, currently we are on Bridgestones, which are now quite noisy! The ride is softer than the 4.3, but I like that!!