Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Auto Gearbox Issues.. Ecu Or Gearbox?

boosaraff

14 minutes ago, hartsongs said:

Just wondering whether you were dealing directly with ECU testing or via a garage/dealer?
My Rav 4 is 2003 and had the same issue. Many dealers wrongly advise that it's a gearbox issue.
Mine was done 5 years ago. Still fine.
I guess the £1200 is for a replacement ECU.
Many people on this thread (which goes back years) have had the ECU reset for about £250.
Seems odd that you're having this 'can't do it' answer?
You're in Surrey. I took mine to Auto Services in Salfords or there's Toyotec near to them.
Might be worth a call.

I sent the ECU direct to ECU Testing on Friday and spoke with them this morning.  They said it 'happens' with some models - that they are just not able to communicate with it. (and yes, the £1200 is replacement ECU from Toyota).  The price paid to ECU Testing was a very reasonable £195 which they have fully refunded to me, and are sending the unit back to me va DHL.  I cannot fault them in anyway - just a shame they can't fix it 😞.  I will try other routes but seems I will have no choice but to scrap an otherwise perfect car - seems such a waste.  Just not sure what my other options are.

Although several companies offer the service - if ECU testing can't fix it, it's probably that no one else can - but it's worth getting a second opinion. Many will charge a testing fee of around £40 if the unit can't be fixed This is only the second instance I've heard of when the ECU cannot be repaired - in the other case the unit had been molested by someone. Unfortunately this part is rare and hardly ever comes up on eBay but it's worth trying 247 spares network. There's some risk with an used part but at worst, chances are that another unit may be repairable - obviously the price needs to be considered.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2018 at 10:38 AM, Melonhead74 said:

Would you know if I'm able to directly swap if I find the matching part number? Or is there some kind of re-coding to the car that is needed afterwards?  Toyota want over £1200 for the part number I supplied, but are unable to tell me if I can just plug it in and go.

Apologies for late response. If it’s from the same model I can’t see it needing programming to your car

• 4 months later...
On 8/7/2018 at 11:00 AM, Melonhead74 said:

I sent the ECU direct to ECU Testing on Friday and spoke with them this morning.  They said it 'happens' with some models - that they are just not able to communicate with it. (and yes, the £1200 is replacement ECU from Toyota).  The price paid to ECU Testing was a very reasonable £195 which they have fully refunded to me, and are sending the unit back to me va DHL.  I cannot fault them in anyway - just a shame they can't fix it 😞.  I will try other routes but seems I will have no choice but to scrap an otherwise perfect car - seems such a waste.  Just not sure what my other options are.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:00 AM, Melonhead74 said:

Hi

did you ever get this sorted?

Hello @bluerav4,

Thank-you for checking back in - and sorry I did not come back to update the post.  getting a second opinion was the correct way to go.  After I got the ECU returned by ECU Testing I found another company in West Byfleet, Surrey called Cartronics.  They were much more expensive, at £400 and didn't offer any guarantee, but I decided to take a punt and got them to sort it.  They were done with it in less than half an hour - I waited there.  

After I put it back into the car I got some warning lights on the dash when I took it around the block, but the advice was to drive it about for 10/15 mins then turn it off,  and restart.

The following day, all warnings from dash were gone and it has been working ever since.  Really pleased with the outcome, and worth the £400 risk in my case.

Very valuable feedback from this forum - thanks to people like you, cheers.

this is their website in case it helps others:  https://www.rav4ecurepair.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Melonhead74 said:

Hello @bluerav4,

Thank-you for checking back in - and sorry I did not come back to update the post.  getting a second opinion was the correct way to go.  After I got the ECU returned by ECU Testing I found another company in West Byfleet, Surrey called Cartronics.  They were much more expensive, at £400 and didn't offer any guarantee, but I decided to take a punt and got them to sort it.  They were done with it in less than half an hour - I waited there.  

After I put it back into the car I got some warning lights on the dash when I took it around the block, but the advice was to drive it about for 10/15 mins then turn it off,  and restart.

The following day, all warnings from dash were gone and it has been working ever since.  Really pleased with the outcome, and worth the £400 risk in my case.

Very valuable feedback from this forum - thanks to people like you, cheers.

this is their website in case it helps others:  https://www.rav4ecurepair.co.uk/

Hi

thays good news and glad you have got it sorted. I’m surprised ECU testing weren’t able to sort it though. I thought as you didn’t update you were still having issues with it. Even at £400 you can’t go wrong in comparison to what Toyota would have charged. I was like yourself when mine was playing up I didn’t sleep for a few nights as I didn’t know what to do.

Did tbey mention what was wrong with your ECU? I’m assuming it may have been different fault if ECU testing were unable to repair it.

thanks for the feedback 

Yes, I'm pleased they managed to sort it, and they didn't claim it was anything specific other than the usual 'known issue' that impacts these ecu's.  They did slag off ECU Testing, which I thought was a teeny bit unprofessional, but in fairness to them - they did fix it when ECU Testing couldn't/wouldn't.

Main thing is it’s done and dusted. Seems like a bit of rivalry with both companies then. 

Yep. Agreed. I had the opposite experience where ECu Testing fixed it when the other firm tried twice.