Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unreliable Central Locking

loudon

I am otherwise pleased with my Toyota Avensis tourer but the central locking stops working at times. It is so anoying that it would stop me buying another Avensis. The central locking just stops working without reason and I have to use the key in my driver door but the rear doors stay locked whatever so passengers cannot get back in. The central locking will then start working again after driving the car. The car has been checked by the local Toyota Servicing - Listers Coventry - but they cannot find a fault. Has anyone experienced similar central locking issues and does anyone have any advice?

I have that problem too. It is the right hand rear passenger door that is my problem. It is very anoying with a lock that sometiimes works. For me the use of the key or using the doorlock control on the drivers door usualy helps. I have not gone any further with it. It sounds a bit expensive, but I might go further with it later on when I have time.

what is the central locking doing???? does it not work at all ie doesnt try to unlock the doors??? or does it try and the doors lock straight away again.

i had the second issue on my first car... turned out to be a prob with the lock control arm lever it had worn slightly and was reversing its self so there wasnt enough movment to unlock the doors properly so they locked again. if this is ur issue i susspect somthing is wrong with one of the door mechanisums but as to why it would change with driving etc i have no clue.

hope this helps

coop

Mine rear right hand side door sounds like it unlock lock unlock etc.... most of the time I unlock or lock. I will have a look at it when I have time later on.

My Avensis Tourer does not unlock the rear passenger doors when I stop, I have to operate the "unlock" on either the drivers door or key fob to allow rear passengers to get out, is this normal? would taking off the "auto locking" solve the problem?

my mothers seat was like that with the autolocking.... u had to press a button or double pull the door handle to get out...i guess its so no one can attack ya when ya stationary

kinda not needed while moving

The stadard auto locking seems to be that all doors lock when you move off. If you come to a stand still and leave engine running autolock is still engaged and you need to unlock using the unlock switch on the drivers door. The doors only unlock automatically if you turn ignition off. Not sure whether you can alter this in the settings.

Thanks for your replies, im going to try and cancel the auto locking as discribed in the handbook "hold the door lock button for 5 seconds"

Hi

The doors are set to lock on my Avensis 2010 at a road speed of around 12 mph, then if you do not open the drivers or passenger door for about 10 secs after you stop the rear doors and boot will remain locked. You then have to use the key fob or drivers door button to open them.

Stops you being robbed as you wait at traffic lights etc.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am getting a similar problem with my Avensis TR 2012. The car auto-locks as I pull off, but when I stop, turn off the car and remove the key and try to open the driver door it remains locked! I have to press the unlock switch to unlock all the doors.

The front passenger door lever will engage with the rotating door lock, but not the driver side.

Since I have just bought the car I have taken it to Toyota and they think that the actuator is not unlocking. They checked the settings via their ODB2 tester and the options are correct for the auto-locking.

I do want to use the auto-lock feature, but don't like the fact that in an emergency that I will have to fumble with switches and knobs to get the doors open.

The car is booked for repairs next week and will be covered by the warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am getting a similar problem with my Avensis TR 2012. The car auto-locks as I pull off, but when I stop, turn off the car and remove the key and try to open the driver door it remains locked! I have to press the unlock switch to unlock all the doors.

The front passenger door lever will engage with the rotating door lock, but not the driver side.

Since I have just bought the car I have taken it to Toyota and they think that the actuator is not unlocking. They checked the settings via their ODB2 tester and the options are correct for the auto-locking.

I do want to use the auto-lock feature, but don't like the fact that in an emergency that I will have to fumble with switches and knobs to get the doors open.

The car is booked for repairs next week and will be covered by the warranty.

Update:

It turned out that the actuator in the drivers door handle was faulty and so was replaced under warranty.

Hi Spearfish, my problem is the passenger doors I'll get it checked out by Toyota when it goes in for the next service.

Thanks for your input.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2012 avensis saloon my problem is car opens ok but then will not lock have had it at dealers but of course it worked fine then, i do not have autolock turned on does anyone think this will make a difference ? any help would be gratefully accepted as this fault is driving me crazy :disgust:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links