Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Year Celica To Buy And What To Look Out For?

drecorado

hello guys,

New to this club, in the process of searching for a new car and wanting a Celica. I am considering anything from year 2000 to 05/06 but am unsure what differences there are other than shape etc. Also any years have any issues in terms of 140 model or sport/190?

If its all down to preference, what should i look out for at the dealer? anything i should ask or check out? Apart from the standard service history, number of owners etc.

Much appreciated for any help

Go for anything after 2003, as the 140's had some engine changes & the 190's had revised lift bolts.

• Like 1

Yep, the two models to go for are either the face lift (52 plate on) 140, or T Sport.

Check for corrosion on the inside faces of the brake discs, and that there are two working remote keys. The gas boot struts have also been known to fail, leading to a whack on the head.

Good luck in your search, Andre :)

• Like 1

Oh right ok, have found plenty of 2001 or 2002 cars but will look for 52 upwards. Thanks very much for the help! :)

Go for anything after 2003, as the 140's had some engine changes & the 190's had revised lift bolts.

Actually finding it hard to find a 190 year 2003 or higher. Out of curiosity are the lift bolts a major problem/expensive on the prior models? thanks

You can get a pre 03 190. You just need to buy new lift bolt from Toyota (less than £1 each) and change them over. The pre 03 bolts are known to snap.

You will find it hard to find a 190 after 03 as they changed from a 190 to T-sport then Toyota also released a GT model in 05/06 before they finished making them, but they all have the same 190 engine in them.

Lift bolts are easy to change, don't need much mechanical knowledge, just need to know how to use a socket set. The only time you have a problem when changing them is if one of the bolts snaps.

But definatly stay away from the early 140's

• Like 1

Ok great, im heading towards a pre 03 190 atm as im struggling to find both 190/t sport post 03. Am pretty clueless with mechanics, would lift bots cost a bomb to get fitted in a garage?

Sorry that you're not following the advice given in #2 and #3, Andre. Did you know the face lift models have a much nicer (as in darker) interior?.

Ok, after much car search I have decided to go with a facelift 52 plate 190 model after all. Just a case of viewing and test driving it now :clap:

Take it you mean a T Sport, as there wasn't a face lift 190. Hope it's a "good un" :)

thank you, but seems like it wasnt a good un after all. After doing the standard hpi and VOSA checks, seems like one of the MOT's had the vehicle clocked at 90k miles whilst the next Mot went down to 53k. With the celica now at an apparent 60k miles... dodgy or error?

• 1 year later...

Ok, after much car search I have decided to go with a facelift 52 plate 190 model after all. Just a case of viewing and test driving it now :clap:

Good decision. :thumbsup: ...keep searching and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Neil