Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Reverse Beep

regraham

Thanks, I will look tomorrow at where the rear parking sensor sounder is.

Hopefully tomorrow I will also get the chance to get the DAB radio working and test the auto parking thing. Haven't seen anything in the manual on either of these yet. Any hints or tips on this, especially the DAB radio just says no signal?

Then on Monday I can send the dealer a note with any queries and I am sure they will sort it out for me. I need to send them a note anyhow as they did not give me the breakdown cover paperwork, which I understand we get 1 year "free" for buying the car.

Lovely to drive, and taking it for a run tomorrow (only did 7 miles today) and hopefully that will see the mpg creep up above the 27 currently showing on the digital read out.

I've only tried the auto parking once and that was a trial run with a neighbour checking progress from the outside. It worked well but best to read up about it and check youtube for demos first. My paperwork for the AA cover arrived about 10 days after I picked up the car - you should be OK if you have the AA helpline no. and the car reg (I only got cover for the remaining 4 months until the car's 1st anniversary but renewal rates are favourable.) I think the radio should automatically show all the DAB stations available in your location without any need to re-tune e.g. on the trip back from the dealer I was able to receive Talksport but can no longer receive it. Today there were about 16 stations available but often it is fewer - I guess it may be to do with the strength of the DAB reception in your particular area but best to check with the dealer.

If thats your only thing to complain about your lucky. How do you know what speed you are actually doing? It gets very cold for rear seat passengers as there are no vents under the seats. You will be lucky to see an average in excess of 50 mpg if you have 17" wheels and low profile tyres. I am waiting for the recall to sort out the battery problem before I go back to the dealer and get the reverse beep sorted. If you did not get the space saver kit do not get a puncture.

Its a nice drive and could be the best estate on the market but the attention to details takes the edge off.

I've only tried the auto parking once and that was a trial run with a neighbour checking progress from the outside. It worked well but best to read up about it and check youtube for demos first. My paperwork for the AA cover arrived about 10 days after I picked up the car - you should be OK if you have the AA helpline no. and the car reg (I only got cover for the remaining 4 months until the car's 1st anniversary but renewal rates are favourable.) I think the radio should automatically show all the DAB stations available in your location without any need to re-tune e.g. on the trip back from the dealer I was able to receive Talksport but can no longer receive it. Today there were about 16 stations available but often it is fewer - I guess it may be to do with the strength of the DAB reception in your particular area but best to check with the dealer.

Thanks for the various comments.

Went on a good motorway run yesterday, liking it, and got perfectly adequate performance and economy around 50 mpg, which is fine for me.

I did not have any trouble reading the speedo, though it does have an optimistic top end calibration. Maybe now that F1 has adopted hybrid technology, Toyota got confused? :-)

I checked on receipt of the car and definitely no vents to the back. That said I had my parents with me - they really feel the cold - but both said they were very comfortable. I just had the climate control set on 21 degC. Upfront was very good, as put the heated seat on until the car interior warmed up.

I agree with the wheels thing. It would be better to get the car with the smaller wheels fitted on the ICON. Better fuel economy, cheaper tyres, and less risk of kerbing.

I did not buy the spare wheel - that seems to be quite a common omission now on several of the cars I viewed before buying, it is not just Toyota. I don't mind that as it is your choice. What I would prefer though is if they designed the spare wheel well to work as a proper extension to the boot, not just making it obvious that the car had a cost scrimping choice somewhere along the line. Al that foam just to hold a puncture kits is a waste of space.

Very pleased with the SATNAV - much better than my Mondeo had. And so quite driving the car it is very peaceful inside.

Found the AA sticker, so I guess the paperwork will follow in due course.

Still trying to understand the DAB, got to test the auto-park today. Then it it probably only the reverse bleep and associated rear parking issue that I will need to get the dealer to sort out.

The speedo issue I covered in another blog. My complaint is that I can not see accurately when I am doing 30,50 or 70. The speedo is too far out of eye-line and the increments too small as it goes up to 160. My issue is that it would be a very simple fix to put digital speed on the Trip display instead of Eco Drive level or one of the meaningless data reads duplicated on the Touch screen.

My DAB is always set to radio 2 and works all over the country, that said it once lost all signals. I switched off went through the media buttons and it worked again. I also think there is a DAB menu in the secret menu. To get there:

- Push the Power button twice, no brake pedal, you end up in IGN ON condition

- Push the switch "CAR" on the Touch dash and keep it pressed

- Turn the light ring to the extreme low and high, 3 times in a row

- Watch the Touch screen: a black & white menu does appear; touch the option Function check/Setting

- Another menu does appear;

Lots of features are available here.

I tried to "open up" the sounder for the reverse beep but have not found it easy. The odd thing is that in the rear the recess above the boot light (near side) has a grill it the top, but the offside one is enclosed I guess the sounder on LH drive cars is on the other side.

Spare wheel kit is great but the blocks go UNDER the wheel so the hold down bolt can be tightened.

• Like 1

The speedo issue I covered in another blog. My complaint is that I can not see accurately when I am doing 30,50 or 70. The speedo is too far out of eye-line and the increments too small as it goes up to 160. My issue is that it would be a very simple fix to put digital speed on the Trip display instead of Eco Drive level or one of the meaningless data reads duplicated on the Touch screen.

My DAB is always set to radio 2 and works all over the country, that said it once lost all signals. I switched off went through the media buttons and it worked again. I also think there is a DAB menu in the secret menu. To get there:

- Push the Power button twice, no brake pedal, you end up in IGN ON condition

- Push the switch "CAR" on the Touch dash and keep it pressed

- Turn the light ring to the extreme low and high, 3 times in a row

- Watch the Touch screen: a black & white menu does appear; touch the option Function check/Setting

- Another menu does appear;

Lots of features are available here.

I tried to "open up" the sounder for the reverse beep but have not found it easy. The odd thing is that in the rear the recess above the boot light (near side) has a grill it the top, but the offside one is enclosed I guess the sounder on LH drive cars is on the other side.

Spare wheel kit is great but the blocks go UNDER the wheel so the hold down bolt can be tightened.

Crikey - I'd never have worked out the 'magic menu' sequence by trial and error! I totally agree with you about the speedo issue - there has been a lot of discussion about the same issue on the Skoda Yeti forum too - ironically the Yeti does also show a digital speed readout on the multi-function display but only in kph rather than mph. Having checked the Auris speedo with my satnav I reckon it reads approximately 10% high (vs 7% high on my Skoda).

As regards the rear sounder you may well be right about the vents being on one side only - that said even with the bleeper totally exposed it's still not as loud as you really want it to be. I'm tempted to visit a car electrical shop to see if they have a sounder with a louder/deeper beep to replace the Toyota one (it has a 2-pin plug socket)

• 1 year later...

The constant beeping makes it virtually impossible to hear the rear parking sensor beeps, which are pretty feeble in the first place.

This was annoying me too, so I took it to the dealer to change the setting... However, with the new facelift model the option is unavailable, so the only way as I read (the dealer didn't even know that) was to plug the Techstream to the pre-facelift model, navigate to the option, the unplug the cable, plug it to the post-facelift, switch to single beep and save. Even though I told the dealer my findings, after browsing my car with Techstream for over an hour, they told me "it was impossible to turn this feature to a single beep"... Urghhh, right!

Just came back from the garage.. All I used was an OBD Elm327 bluetooth adapter, my Galaxy SIII i-9300 and Carista Pro. Now my reverse beeper is changed to a single beep! Yaaaay! :clap:

P.S. The application is capable of reading and deleting fault codes and tons of customizations like auto lock, auto lights, heater, air con etc, so it's pretty good application (requires in-app purchase)

• Like 1

So even with the new face lift version Toyota Gb are still not willing to support customer requests for simple things to make the car better. I am told the face-lift has a digital readout for speed on the multifunction display? If so it should be a very simple fix through Techstream. It should not be left to customers to work this out Toyota should issue upgrade instructions via the dealers. All the surveys and marketing rubbish we get is wasted if they cannot get basic customer satisfaction right.

After 3 Hybrids the TS is by far the best to live with, but it could and should be so much better.

• 3 months later...
On 23 November 2015 at 7:31 PM, Auris 1.6 vvt-i said:

Just came back from the garage.. All I used was an OBD Elm327 Bluetooth adapter, my Galaxy SIII i-9300 and Carista Pro. Now my reverse beeper is changed to a single beep! Yaaaay! :clap:

P.S. The application is capable of reading and deleting fault codes and tons of customizations like auto lock, auto lights, heater, air con etc, so it's pretty good application (requires in-app purchase)

Same problem here... But wouldn't your solution void the warranty?

Yippee!

I have finally solved my Auris reverse bleep problem - it will never sound and annoy me again

In fact in one stroke I have solved all the other annoying niggles with the car (those 'flat' headlamps that leave you in darkness, that inferior distribution of air and heating/ventilation, DAB that never worked), and the big things like the excessive fuel consumption- which is unforgivable given how the whole raison d'etre of the hybrid is to be fuel efficient.

I have given the darned thing back and now driving a Fiesta which is fab!.  Fuel consumption from its standard petrol engine is beating the complexity of the hybrid, plus the Fiesta is so much more fun to drive.

Goodbye Toyota and your total ignorance and lack of interest in what drivers actually want in the real world.  Prior to the Auris I had only ever had Rover (sadly defunct), Ford and Citron cars - I cannot foresee the occasion where I would ever return to another Toyota after this experience of 2 years but I have now reason not to consider other past marques again in he future..  I do hope you learn that boring reliability is not all a driver (or passenger) wants from a car, plus there are so many other manufacturer who can do the reliability thing in an altogether better package and beating even your fuel-efficiency mantra.

Then again you are comparing cars from different market segments - the Fiesta being from the next market sector down, being considerably smaller, and it should be at least as economical, although dirtier in emissions.

Goodbye

On 2/26/2016 at 11:11 PM, Kitko said:

Same problem here... But wouldn't your solution void the warranty?

Nope. :) It's just a setting that's been changed. You are not tampering with the wires, no cutting, no modifications - just a setting change. 

On 2/26/2016 at 0:11 AM, Nigel TS said:

Yippee!

I have finally solved my Auris reverse bleep problem - it will never sound and annoy me again

In fact in one stroke I have solved all the other annoying niggles with the car (those 'flat' headlamps that leave you in darkness, that inferior distribution of air and heating/ventilation, DAB that never worked), and the big things like the excessive fuel consumption- which is unforgivable given how the whole raison d'etre of the hybrid is to be fuel efficient.

I have given the darned thing back and now driving a Fiesta which is fab!.  Fuel consumption from its standard petrol engine is beating the complexity of the hybrid, plus the Fiesta is so much more fun to drive.

Goodbye Toyota and your total ignorance and lack of interest in what drivers actually want in the real world.  Prior to the Auris I had only ever had Rover (sadly defunct), Ford and Citron cars - I cannot foresee the occasion where I would ever return to another Toyota after this experience of 2 years but I have now reason not to consider other past marques again in he future..  I do hope you learn that boring reliability is not all a driver (or passenger) wants from a car, plus there are so many other manufacturer who can do the reliability thing in an altogether better package and beating even your fuel-efficiency mantra.

Drove a Fiesta 2015 a few days ago - a rental car in Italy - complete rubbish with 50% worse fuel economy than my Auris HSD, interior is all plastic, nasty and ugly, seats are horribly uncomfortable - gave me a back and neck pain in just a few hours... Good by, farewell and be happy with your Ford! :tongue: By the way... do you know which is the best Ford (according to Ford forum) -  the sold one! :laugh::laugh: